2022/23 Farmers Ligue 1 (+Mbappe) / French football thread - On beIN Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

1684454584667.png

Relegation battle update (with 4 teams going down) - Ajaccio, Troyes, Angers gone.

Feel if we beat Troyes this weekend we will be on 41 points and hopefully safe. With their season being over I'd expect us to get a win. 4 wins in 5 has totally turned around Strasbourg's fortunes.

This weekend is the final week and it's crunch time for 8 times champions Nantes. They're in the last relegation spot and 2 points behind 16th placed Auxerre. In their favour, they have a home game against bottom team Angers, while Auxerre have a tough home game against Lens. Nantes have the better goal difference, so if they win, Auxerre will have to win too.

Meanwhile Qatar's BeIN Sports will of course show the meaningless game between Qatar's PSG and 8th placed Clermont.

This weekend is the final week and it's crunch time for 8 times champions Nantes. They're in the last relegation spot and 2 points behind 16th placed Auxerre. In their favour, they have a home game against bottom team Angers, while Auxerre have a tough home game against Lens. Nantes have the better goal difference, so if they win, Auxerre will have to win too.

Meanwhile Qatar's BeIN Sports will of course show the meaningless game between Qatar's PSG and 8th placed Clermont.

Just glad we are safe!

Bein should be showing the relegation battle.

Are CL places settled?

Just glad we are safe!

Bein should be showing the relegation battle.

Are CL places settled?
The top 3 are settled with PSG and Lens getting the automatic CL spots, Marseille in the CL qualifying rounds. Just Lille, Rennes and Monaco to fight out who plays in Europa League, who plays in Europa Conference League, and who misses out.

Final Table

Disappointing end to the season for Marseille, we had a chance to compete for the title and instead lost 4 of our last five.
Marseille were pretty entertaining to watch but I think needed another striker/forward alongside Alexis Sanchez. And with Dimitri Payet now close to the end of his career they didn't have a playmaker to step up in his place.
Their points tally for the season was actually their second highest in the last ten years, or so I read. But now Igor Tudor has quit, I don't know where they go from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marseille were pretty entertaining to watch but I think needed another striker/forward alongside Alexis Sanchez. And with Dimitri Payet now close to the end of his career they didn't have a playmaker to step up in his place.
Their points tally for the season was actually their second highest in the last ten years, or so I read. But now Igor Tudor has quit, I don't know where they go from here.

Yep, that's an issue for them. Payet / Alexis don't have long left. Balogun would be a good target for Marseille. Doesn't seem to have a future at Arsenal and blitzed it on loan in Ligue 1 this season.

Rumours resurfacing that Saudi Arabia is interested in buying Olympique Marseille. They tried to buy OM 3 years ago but Frank McCourt knocked them back.

And if a sale goes ahead this could entice Zinedine Zidane to take up the vacant manager role, especially as he would have more transfer funds to spend than would be available under McCourt.

And in other Ligue 1 news, PSG met with Julian Nagelsmann yesterday about the manager position.

Really seems like Mbappe's time in France is over saying stuff like this. Was a bizarre contract extension - signed after his last deal expired, couldn't be extended and sold to the public as a 2 year deal. In reality it was one year deal with an option for one more if Mbappe wanted it. The Qataris just wanted their toy to be their player when he played at their World Cup.

Now it looks like RM are getting Asensio to sign a new contract when PSG thought they had him on a freebie. Surely will be used by RM as a makeweight for Mbappe.

Also, PSG may be getting rid of Neymar as well. All is not well over at Qatar Saint Germain.

Team of the season for anyone who's interested:

There's also an official Team of the Year - all PSG, Lens and Marseille except for Nice's Khéphren Thuram.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back