2022/23 Farmers Ligue 1 (+Mbappe) / French football thread - On beIN Sports

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Here's a thread to discuss French Ligue 1 (and all things in French football) for Season 2022/23 which starts next weekend! Make up of league as follows:

1659313741728.png

Toulouse & Auxurre are promoted. 2 significant clubs. Auxerre have a long history as one of Frances top clubs for young footballers. Guy Roux managed the club for 41 years (a record that will likely never be broken in European football) and even managed to win the title in 95/96 - all in a City with a population of just 35,000 people!

The other promoted team is Ajaccio from Corsica who haven't played top flight football since 2013/14. A very small club from Corsica they will find it difficult to survive.

This season of course has the most annoying mid season Qatar world cup break.

Round 1 is as follows:

1659314017331.png

Personally, I hope that my team RC Strasbourg can push on to CL qualification this season which would be huge. Signs are promising, just beat Liverpool 3-0 overnight in a friendly :D :D :D

Last edited:
This is why Ligue 1 is the best

View attachment 1497001
As French women go, I'd say she's a solid 7.5/8.:)

Five rounds in and PSG have got off to a wonderful start with four big victories, but Lens, Marseille and Lyon sticking with them, hopefully they can stay close and keep the season interesting.

1662128346195.png

Last edited:

Five rounds in and PSG have got off to a wonderful start with four big victories, but Lens, Marseille and Lyon sticking with them, hopefully they can stay close and keep the season interesting.

View attachment 1497785

She’s Italian.

View attachment 1497785

Good work by Marseille.

Strasbourg have dropped right off. Concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a more frustrating team in football than Marseille, it's surprising that they are still in the battle with PSG, but they are so frustratingly inconsistent. 2 solid wins away against mid table teams Nantes and Clemont, and with a 3-1 defeat at home in between.

In two weeks we have PSG at home, need to follow up the mid-week cup win with another victory otherwise the league title is out of reach.

Is there a more frustrating team in football than Marseille, it's surprising that they are still in the battle with PSG, but they are so frustratingly inconsistent. 2 solid wins away against mid table teams Nantes and Clemont, and with a 3-1 defeat at home in between.

In two weeks we have PSG at home, need to follow up the mid-week cup win with another victory otherwise the league title is out of reach.

Good win in the cup mate!

You should try being a Strasbourg fan. Relegation battle after the highs of last season.

Good win in the cup mate!

You should try being a Strasbourg fan. Relegation battle after the highs of last season.
I lived with two Toulouse fans for 25 years, so I understand the ups and downs of the "smaller" clubs. I'm happy to see that their recent form has been solid enough that they have opened up a gap between themselves and the relegation battle.

I noticed that Strasbourg's home form has been terrible this season, only one win from twelve games, lots of draws though, suggesting they are competitve, just struggling to finish the game. They look a little stronger defensively than the team around them, so I would expect them to survive, but it will be a battle for the most of the season. I hope you have long fingernails.:)

Never followed a team in any league before, but do enjoy a bit of football manager.

Thought I’d take up following Troyes after Kisnorbo manager annoncment.

They’ve been on a wretched run virtually since.

0-4 loss today against Reims

First 8 Ligue 1 games under Kisnorbo
1-2-5
7 goals for
21 goals against

😬

C7C1D290-5BB2-4D78-9268-88B450EFA369.jpeg

I’m worried my connection to the team won’t last the end of the season with them tottering on the edge of relegation zone.

Montpellier 14th (home)
Ajaccio 18th (away)

Next two games. Critical.

Lol. Sportswashers are cracking up. Galtier is goneskis if he doesnt win the league.

Marseille won the "family derby" this morning 3-2 to move into second, 5pts behind PSG.

And this weekend...

Is the big one, Marseille v PSG at the Velodrome. You would think a capacity crowd of nearly 68,000 will be in attendance, 67,000 baying for PSG blood.

A Marseille win and we are in the hunt for a 10th title*, equal with PSG and Saint-Etienne.

A Marseille loss and PSG are odds on to win their 9th title in last 11 seasons and a record 11th title overall.

*Marseille won a title during the amateur era, but they are generally not counted towards to a clubs total. :(

(that Messi guy can do some nice stuff)
but seriously, the last month PSG have been extremely unconvincing.
Minus Mbappe and they'd struggle for top 3.

Plenty of talk the Qataris are done with PSG as a project and want out. This ties in with their interest in buying Utd.

Can't imagine there will be too many buyers that want PSG though. Wage bill of 600m is ridiculous for a Ligue 1 side. There's a limited ceiling on what commercial revenue a top Ligue 1 side can muster. Any new owner of PSG likely won't be a sportswashing state either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back