2nds Footscray's finals series

Remove this Banner Ad

dogga91

Debutant
Mar 29, 2011
kew
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Perhaps its not worth a thread, but thought it would be good to get some discussion going in relation to our inaugural final's series as a standalone club. I think it is a seriously terrific opportunity to have our younger players experience the pressures of playing in a finals and I for one am incredibly keen to see them have a real crack at the flag and ensuring we have our best possible team available (pending eligibility). Whilst it is only VFL, its still a great chance to teach the younger players about winning and let them experience the joys and success associated with winning a flag. Winning cultures regardless which level it takes place at is absolutely critical to the success of young groups.

I am pretty sure Grant and Jones are now eligible aswell. The bookies have us at favourites. Do people think we can go the whole way? I haven't watched too much of Port Melbourne and Box Hill who seem to be right behind us in the betting.

Very keen to see us secure a top two spot and get finals footy back to Whitten Oval.

Have been to all the games there so far and made it out to Victoria Park too, and I want more!

I reckon that we can beat them. Against Box Hill, Cordy was the first ruckman against David Hale because Campbell was the travelling emergency. With Tommy in the middle then I'm confident that we'd have beaten them. Port is doing the usual Port thing but we were able to beat them at home without really being pressured. Port was kept in that match by home umpiring.

The most threatening team in the top four is Williamstown and I also think we'd be able to beat them at home. We went down by 40 points in round two but our efforts were pretty inconsistent at the time.

Does anyone know whether, if we get a home final, it would be played at Whitten Oval?
If we get top two most likely
But all concerns over people viewing the game without paying etc

Is there a list anywhere of our eligible players for the finals? Bont played a few games. Can we sneak him back a grade?

Does anyone know whether, if we get a home final, it would be played at Whitten Oval?

If ABC want to telecast it then it will be at Port Melbourne, but generally finals for Melbourne based clubs have been at either Casey or Box Hill in the past.

It's funny- I don't think there is much between our vfl backs & forwards and the afl ones. The midfield is where the difference is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible best line up (second week of finals). We may decide to tuck a few away and so we will call on the top up boys who have done a great job all year.

In the first week the team will be impacted by Western Bulldogs last game.

B: Austin Talia Darley

CHB: JJ Roberts Young

C: Jong Lower Howard

CHF: Tutt Jones Grant

FF: Campbell Redpath Dickson

R: Cordy Goodes Honeychurch

Int: Russell, Prismal, Greenwood, Pearce

I don't think Hunter or Gia will qualify. Gia could but it would mean he won't get a last game for the Western Bulldogs.

Yep, the backline could be:

Darley Roberts Austin
Young Talia Goodes

Johannisen to the wing and no room for Howard or Russell.

Think you have to play Russell. We do want to win it don't we ?
He goes to half back , Goodes definitely a mid fielder. He will be very important come finals time.

Been confirmed that a top two finish means a Qualifying Final at VUWO.

Thanks for the info Cam, this is a massive incentive for us to end up top 2. I think we will need to win both of our last games or Willi or Box Hill will take us. Either way I hope they schedule the game so that we can get to see it prior to the VFL game.

Could be a pretty decent crowd at the Whitten Oval if we get to play there.

BTW is there any news on the rest of the fixture. Are the prelims going to be at Port? It's very exciting having our own team in the finals....really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the info Cam, this is a massive incentive for us to end up top 2. I think we will need to win both of our last games or Willi or Box Hill will take us. Either way I hope they schedule the game so that we can get to see it prior to the VFL game.

Could be a pretty decent crowd at the Whitten Oval if we get to play there.

BTW is there any news on the rest of the fixture. Are the prelims going to be at Port? It's very exciting having our own team in the finals....really looking forward to it!

I may be wrong, but I think there's an agreement in place to play both prelim's at port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back