FTA-TV Footy Classified

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodsey has staged - but he's not a stager. When I hear a significant number of Hawks fans [Pies too?] booing Selwood, Thomas, and their ilk - I'll reconsider my position - but atm yo?

I think any group of supporters who perpetually boo a dual Brownlow Medalist, dual Premiership winner - who's a credit to the the nation

And thats when I stopped reading. Why exactly is he a credit to the nation?

Fantastic footballer, deserves all the plaudits for that, has destroyed North a number of times.

Selwood gets booed. Thomas is starting to get booed.

Carey, Buckley, Lloyd, Libba, Plugger, Ablett. All booed. All champions. None whinged.

Goodsey has staged - but he's not a stager. When I hear a significant number of Hawks fans [Pies too?] booing Selwood, Thomas, and their ilk - I'll reconsider my position - but atm yo?

I think any group of supporters who perpetually boo a dual Brownlow Medalist, dual Premiership winner - who's a credit to the game and the nation are, with all due respect plus fries - drunken campaigners.

His late game kick to advantage to McVeigh at the top of the square would've put some poop in their pie slots. A classic kick, that.
Well, I know Selwood gets booed.

Buckley was booed like few others, therefore Australians are racist against Anglo Saxons?

I'll catch the opening 5 minutes over the weekend, but what I saw was good TV.

Is Caro the thinking man's Grant Thomas on issues like the one she addressed in The Arrow?

"Dale Thomas. I've heard some ROT spoken BY and on behalf of Mick Malthouse this year but..."

The way she said FACT! before every swing of her rhetorical broadsword at DT and Mad Mick's hindquarters was hellaciously hilarious.

Last week Crag had the Giants as rolled gold certs to qualify Top 4, this week he has the Bulldogs financing Rance the Witness' $1,000,000 Gap Year.

:confused:o_O:confused:

Last edited:
Goodes is a fantastic footballer and decent enough bloke.

I say decent enough, because maybe white Australians don't agree with him implying we are all racists, rapists, and murderers, for the atrocities commited a hundred years ago

When exactly has he done this? Or have you imagined it?

I'll catch the opening 5 minutes over the weekend, but what I saw was good TV.

Is Caro the thinking man's Grant Thomas on issues like the one she addressed in The Arrow?

"Dale Thomas. I've heard some ROT spoken BY and on behalf of Mick Malthouse this year but..."

The way she said FACT! before every swing of her rhetorical broadsword at DT and Mad Mick's hindquarters was hellaciously hilarious.

She does well to keep a straight face during that segment.

I watched it for the first time for a long time last night. I would only watch it for Caroline Wilson. I think she brings a great balance to the footy show landscape on mainstream TV that is dominated by former players....mainly caucasian, wealthy and have a blokey change-room attitude.

I watched it for the first time for a long time last night. I would only watch it for Caroline Wilson. I think she brings a great balance to the footy show landscape on mainstream TV that is dominated by former players....mainly caucasian, wealthy and have a blokey change-room attitude.

Agree. I watch it only for Caro. One of the few AFL journalists (her and Gerard Whateley) that actually apply journalistic standards to covering the sport - and not afraid to hold the "boys club" to account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was it for me.

Hutchy is a moron who will throw 500 things out there, get 1 right and then mention it for the next 5 years. He is an idiot and a sook. He said last night the Dogs are wasting money on Boyd. 9 games in he has declared that. What a fool.

Garry changes his mind on things weekly.

It's stunning that Lloyd and Wilson are the wise heads and voices of reason.

Says a lot about the show.

Tend to agree with you Uncle_Leo.
Hutchinson is the TV version of a radio shock jock lacking a moral compass. His suggestion on how another team could secure Rance was puerile muck raking trash. My view - like a lot of things he says, it is done deliberately to provoke a reaction. He yearns for relevance, knowing Lloyd and Lyon have the runs on the board as players while Caro is an award winning football journalist who is generally measured in her commentary. He is the antithesis of Caro.

I'm not a big Gary Lyon fan by any stretch. I think his attack on Gary Ablett lacks real understanding of how Ablett operates and the incredible high standards he sets himself. But I can tolerate him to a degree, especially as I have Foxtel IQ and can fast forward his boring rants.

He doesn't quite cut it for me as being the leader or 'go to man' on Footy Classified.

Lyon is best suited on radio as the 'Wolfman' with JB, Billy, Chief, Spud & Purple where he can engage in banter, give and take the gags, is not so serious in his analysis and he is on equal terms with the other blokes.

Tend to agree with you Uncle_Leo.
Hutchinson is the TV version of a radio shock jock lacking a moral compass. His suggestion on how another team could secure Rance was puerile muck raking trash. My view - like a lot of things he says, it is done deliberately to provoke a reaction. He yearns for relevance, knowing Lloyd and Lyon have the runs on the board as players while Caro is an award winning football journalist who is generally measured in her commentary. He is the antithesis of Caro.

Doesn't Hutchy realise that the only reason he's on the show is so he can be exposed, week-in week-out, as the fool of the show?

Footy analysis programs (AFL 360 and Footy Classified) aim to combine the intellectual with the bogan to maximise ratings and include diverse sections of the population.

The AFL media are divided between the intellectual journalist and the bogan journalist.

The likes of Robbo, Hutchy, and most ex-footballers (Dunstall, J Brown, Lyon, Barry Hall) fit the bogan ilk, and do a terrible job at analysing the game, but engage in boys banter to keep a segment of the viewing population entertained.

Then there's the likes of Gerard Whateley, Caro, Patrick Smith, Mike Sheahan, Greg Baum and some ex-footballers/coaches with a clear analytical hook on the game (Dermie, Lloyd, Riccuito - Paul Roos and Bucks before they coached) - clearly in a different league.

Of course, many of us would love a footy show that only had intellectual figures analysing the game, but it'd probably rate poorly as the bogans would feel left out without a fat-head occa cracking lame jokes and raping the English language (i.e. Robbo).

Doesn't Hutchy realise that the only reason he's on the show is so he can be exposed, week-in week-out, as the fool of the show?

Footy analysis programs (AFL 360 and Footy Classified) aim to combine the intellectual with the bogan to maximise ratings and include diverse sections of the population.

The AFL media are divided between the intellectual journalist and the bogan journalist.

The likes of Robbo, Hutchy, and most ex-footballers (Dunstall, J Brown, Lyon, Barry Hall) fit the bogan ilk, and do a terrible job at analysing the game, but engage in boys banter to keep a segment of the viewing population entertained.

Then there's the likes of Gerard Whateley, Caro, Patrick Smith, Mike Sheahan, Greg Baum and some ex-footballers/coaches with a clear analytical hook on the game (Dermie, Lloyd, Riccuito - Paul Roos and Bucks before they coached) - clearly in a different league.

Of course, many of us would love a footy show that only had intellectual figures analysing the game, but it'd probably rate poorly as the bogans would feel left out without a fat-head occa cracking lame jokes and raping the English language (i.e. Robbo).
You lost me at Mike Sheahan. Lloyd and Ricciuto intellectual analysis? Ha.

You lost me at Mike Sheahan. Lloyd and Ricciuto intellectual analysis? Ha.

Yeah maybe, I added Sheahan since he's been around forever and may have learnt a thing or two. I actually don't mind Ricciuto's game-day analyses, seems to make more sense than metal head Jonathan Brown.

It's not often I agree with Garrrrrry Lyon, but he hit the nail on the head. Goodes is divisive. Michael Long, and even Nicky Winmar, were simply standing up for themselves and showing that they are proud of who they are. They were more about changing attitudes for the better, and pushing for unity and understanding between white people and aboriginals. And I think they've done more for that cause than anybody else in the history of Australia to be honest. The best way to speak to the majority of Australians is through sport. (sad, but true) They brought these issues to a head and forced white Australians to look at themselves and their attitudes. And I believe that for the most part, they succeeded, and Australia (or at the very least the AFL world) is a far less racist society than it was before they had the balls and courage to point out (literally in Winmar's case) the obvious. Kudos to them. They are true heroes.

Goodes, whilst obviously proud of who he is (which is more than I can say about myself - I think white people are f****d) seems more intent on reigniting the flames, tarring everybody with the same brush, and saying "f**k you" than he is in pushing for unity between anybody.

"You booed me? You must be racist! F**k you!"

No Adam. Whilst I'm sure there's a very small minority who DO boo you purely because you're aboriginal and they're racist dicks (and your actions aren't doing anything to change their attitudes I might add... which isn't exactly productive considering they're the people who's attitudes need to change!), the rest of us* just think you're a tosser.

* not that I a) go to games anymore or b) have/would ever boo anybody other than the odd umpiring decision.

Agree. I watch it only for Caro. One of the few AFL journalists (her and Gerard Whateley) that actually apply journalistic standards to covering the sport - and not afraid to hold the "boys club" to account.

Whateley yes, Wilson no. She still continues to bend the facts around her particular preset opinion. A recent example of this was on FC recently where they played an audio grab of Hird, and she then criticized him for only going on shows where he wouldn't be challenged. When it was pointed out that the audio grab they played was from SEN, a reasonably credible sports station, she justified her statement by saying that he wasn't challenged in that interview, and even though this is completely different from saying that he's looking for soft interviews, she did not retract her first statement.

SEN, a reasonably credible sports station
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Caro > Whateley

Whateley yes, Wilson no. She still continues to bend the facts around her particular preset opinion. A recent example of this was on FC recently where they played an audio grab of Hird, and she then criticized him for only going on shows where he wouldn't be challenged. When it was pointed out that the audio grab they played was from SEN, a reasonably credible sports station, she justified her statement by saying that he wasn't challenged in that interview, and even though this is completely different from saying that he's looking for soft interviews, she did not retract her first statement.

I saw that episode, and read it completely different.

She was clearly taking a dig at the "journalists" who interviewed Hird on SEN, i.e. Robbo (who has been accused a number of times of being sympathetic to Hird), who didn't ask the hard questions, and prodded Hird along so he could continue pandering his self-victimising narrative.

When Garry Lyon pushed her to elaborate, she backpedalled because she didn't want to commit the journalist faux pas of directly questioning another journo's credibility. But read between the lines, and that's exactly what she did without naming names, and it was obvious who she was talking about (at least that's how I saw it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back