FTA-TV Footy Classified

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not often I agree with Garrrrrry Lyon, but he hit the nail on the head. Goodes is divisive. Michael Long, and even Nicky Winmar, were simply standing up for themselves and showing that they are proud of who they are. They were more about changing attitudes for the better, and pushing for unity and understanding between white people and aboriginals. And I think they've done more for that cause than anybody else in the history of Australia to be honest. The best way to speak to the majority of Australians is through sport. (sad, but true) They brought these issues to a head and forced white Australians to look at themselves and their attitudes. And I believe that for the most part, they succeeded, and Australia (or at the very least the AFL world) is a far less racist society than it was before they had the balls and courage to point out (literally in Winmar's case) the obvious. Kudos to them. They are true heroes.

Goodes, whilst obviously proud of who he is (which is more than I can say about myself - I think white people are f****d) seems more intent on reigniting the flames, tarring everybody with the same brush, and saying "f**k you" than he is in pushing for unity between anybody.

"You booed me? You must be racist! F**k you!"

No Adam. Whilst I'm sure there's a very small minority who DO boo you purely because you're aboriginal and they're racist dicks (and your actions aren't doing anything to change their attitudes I might add... which isn't exactly productive considering they're the people who's attitudes need to change!), the rest of us* just think you're a tosser.

* not that I a) go to games anymore or b) have/would ever boo anybody other than the odd umpiring decision.

I posted this in another thread but I thought I would repeat it here for others, (besides just North supporters).

Eddie McGuire/Garyl Lyon et al... like to have black players on their team, pat them on the back, talk them up.....but I'm tipping there's a line in the sand in their sub conscious that they prefer they did not cross.

Scott Woods describes it:

The problem is that white people see racism as conscious hate, when racism is bigger than that. Racism is a complex system of social and political levers and pulleys set up generations ago to continue working on the behalf of whites at other people’s expense, whether whites know/like it or not. Racism is an insidious cultural disease. It is so insidious that it doesn’t care if you are a white person who likes black people; it’s still going to find a way to infect how you deal with people who don’t look like you. Yes, racism looks like hate, but hate is just one manifestation. Privilege is another. Access is another. Ignorance is another. Apathy is another. And so on. So while I agree with people who say no one is born racist, it remains a powerful system that we’re immediately born into. It’s like being born into air: you take it in as soon as you breathe. It’s not a cold that you can get over. There is no anti-racist certification class. It’s a set of socioeconomic traps and cultural values that are fired up every time we interact with the world. It is a thing you have to keep scooping out of the boat of your life to keep from drowning in it. I know it’s hard work, but it’s the price you pay for owning everything.

https://scottwoodsmakeslists.wordpr...lly-saying-about-ani-difranco-or-plantations/

Nathan Jones is an ornament to the game no doubt, but All-Australian captain? Give me a fair-dinkum spell Gary.

OT - In addition to looking like he's been on a 3-day drug and alcohol binge, Demon G is also wearing the same shirt and jacket that he wore a couple/few weeks ago. Neither the shirt nor Gary looks like they've had a wash.

What's the deal with footy journos (Caro, Hutchy, and I think a couple of others) having holidays mid-season? :D Is it that stressful a job? Is a 5 or 6 month break not enough in the off-season?
This show is dead ordinary without Caro and to a very slightly lesser extent, Jabba the Hutch.

Caro used to be something of a mouthpiece for AFL Hindquarters and an independent voice who isn't a member of the Old Boys club. Now she's just an independent voice who, given the show's format, delivers short, sharp left and rights without fear or favour.

Jabba's blustery buffoonery is mostly straight comic relief, as are his prickly relationships with Caro and Gaz. When Caro and Crotchy [JK] aren't on together the wrestle-y, comic moments are missing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in previews leading upto the show you have lyon and hutchy giving a preview with music blaring. lyon has a grumpy immagonnabeserious look going on. lol.

i felt goddard looked uncomfortable during his segment when asked about hirds holiday and walking into a club embroiled in scandal. always looked down when answering queries.

My problem with last night's show is the sameness or lack of diversity about the panel. Two footy journos with no playing history and two relatively recent former players (key forwards) with no coaching experience.

Without Caroline Wilson it does revert to a bit of 'boy's club.

Hutchy carrying on about Malthouse and his contract was embarrassing. To suggest Carlton should have extended Malthouse's contract at the start of the season was just nonsense. Hutchy exposed his lack of understanding of how footy club committees work with coaches and contracts.

I ended up turning it off during the Goddard interview because it reminded me of a William Shakespeare play - I thought it was "Much Ado About Nothing".

Lyon is good at defending his own club and pointing the finger at others. It wouldn't surprise me if he emerged from Melbourne's dark years as a media cheerleader.

So true.

With much of the hard on-field work seemingly in place, look for his all important media career to suddenly free up some of his incredibly valuable time, so he can ride in on a horse named messiah and take up an active role within the club. Frontrunner of the highest order, is Garry.

Purple is such a flogmuppet - never thought I'd say this but I want Caro back.

Better still, get rid of Hutch and put in a recently retired/sacked coach.

Purple is such a flogmuppet - never thought I'd say this but I want Caro back.

Better still, get rid of Hutch and put in a recently retired/sacked coach.

The show is a Jabba The Hutch Production so if he doesn't want to move to the US or something, you can forget about Footy Arsified without him.

The "alchemy" between Caro and Jabba is important to the show, and has produced some of Arsified's greatest hits.

Hutch is a flog of the highest order, every show without fail, he will accost one of the panel members with

Hutch “you said something about X player/coach/team, Y weeks/months ago, are you now prepared to say you were wrong”
Panel Member “well at the time it was correct, that’s what was happening"
Hutch “but you were wrong, I think you should apologies to X”
Panel “I don’t think…”
Hutch “you were fundamentally wrong, can’t believe you won’t back down and apologies”

Hutch is a flog of the highest order, every show without fail, he will accost one of the panel members with

Hutch “you said something about X player/coach/team, Y weeks/months ago, are you now prepared to say you were wrong”

Jabba who thought GWS was top 4 material :rolleyes:

I saw that episode, and read it completely different.

She was clearly taking a dig at the "journalists" who interviewed Hird on SEN, i.e. Robbo (who has been accused a number of times of being sympathetic to Hird), who didn't ask the hard questions, and prodded Hird along so he could continue pandering his self-victimising narrative.

When Garry Lyon pushed her to elaborate, she backpedalled because she didn't want to commit the journalist faux pas of directly questioning another journo's credibility. But read between the lines, and that's exactly what she did without naming names, and it was obvious who she was talking about (at least that's how I saw it).

Caro like others is whinging because some major players prefer to be interviewed by others - Its common sense that if you continually bag someone in your role as a journalist ( and I am not referring to Hird ) that person will not consider you as a future interviewer.

Could Barrett have tried to make an issue out of James Hird having a couple of extra days off?
I don't think he pushed it hard enough. :rolleyes:

Of course you missed the most significant ' Dorothy Dixer ' of the show - Lloyd's question to Goddard - Did Ryder leave EFC because of the supplements saga ?
Goddard smiled and answered ' Think there may have been other issues.' Which then led Barrett to saying ' Ryder's manager stated that Ryder left because of the supplements saga.' And then Goddard smiled at Barrett.

It was rivetting viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back