• a) More frustrating than 2013?

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • b) Mixed first year for new coach?

Votes: 57 58.8%
  • c) Useful reality check?

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • d) the Priddis Brownlow Year?

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • e) something that bodes well for Muzz?

Votes: 7 7.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd give our season a 6/10. Not good yet not bad. We didn't drop further down the ladder but we did stagnate. Pretty much the same as 2013 except without the late season collapse. The fact we didn't have nearly as many injuries as in 2013 means it is a real reality check of where we are at.

If it wasn't for the last month I'd say very s**t. But I felt like some things started to click. You could see some semblance of how we want to play under Simmo. A few blokes started standing up, a few young blokes are looking pretty good. We still got a ways to go, but I think we could be on the way up.

4/10

Beat up on the weak teams, lost to all the finals-bound teams. Really, we didn't learn anything new about the team/club as a whole. I hate to harp on the point but the re-signing of McGinnity seems to go against the 'kicking skills focus' that I had really hoped Simpson was going to adopt from the Hawks. While we have players who can't kick and who don't have the size to compete for long periods we are going to remain a mediocre team.

The club is mediocre as well. Very disillusioned right now.

To not play finals with the draw we had is a failure imo. Showed some good signs as a team, and a few players individually, but lost too many games we should have won from costly errors, poor decision making, forward 50 delivery and inaccuracy.

Major positives are Mackenzie, Hurn (captain for mine), Lycett and McGovern.

Overall 7/10

Positives:

Lycett, McGovern coming of age. Finding Bennell and Ellis. Glimpses of what Sheed and Yeo can offer.

Improvement in Shuey and Gaff, particularly towards end of year, Sheppard also looking like he might make it after all.

Consistent to great years for MacKenzie, Hurn, Rosa, Priddis, Kennedy, Brown & Darling.

Players looking like they were getting the game plan towards end of year.

Re-signing players such as Naitanui, LeCras, Hurn, Darling, Gaff, Lycett & Rosa.:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Muzza paying for his crime and given a chance to repay the faith shown in him.

No serious injuries such as knee recos.

Recruiting from left field.

Negatives:

Cost ourselves finals with fades against Port, Blues, Pies & Bombers.

Injuries and sub par years for Scooter, LeCras, Naitanui & Yeo.

Sharrod Wellingham.

Seemed to struggle with pressure poorly, especially when tiring, reverting back to old ways.

Retirements to Cox and Glass though it's time.

Sharrod Wellingham.

Muzza doing time.

Hopefully we can have a big off season.

Is it 2015 yet?

5/10
+
we showed what we were capable of the last month or so of the season
shuey/gaff coming better with age
mcgovern
EMac is more then a viable replacement for Glass

-
waste of a season
truly earnt the name 'west choke'
didn't beat a top 8 team
No finals

First year coach and coaching staff, key retirements and some big outs. I think we did alright to get where we are. The kids are getting games, seemed to of learned the game plan and once we sort out our fitness over pre-season, hopefully we can banish those late fadeouts.

Onus is now on Simmo though, needs to clean out our list cloggers and somehow fix up that midfield of ours

7*/10

*Gave one extra point for the rookie coach and staff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting side note is that we are going to probably end up finishing either 9th or 10th which i believe has never happened before. We've never really been a mid-table team, we've always either been in the finals or at the bottom, but we sure as hell are one now. That's probably the worst possible position to get stuck in since you can end up staying there for years and years like Brisbane and Freo prior to 2010 since you aren't getting the draft picks to move up the ladder.

as much as I hate Vickery and Richmond I think that hit on Cox was a massive wakeup call because the footy we produced after that was good enough but unfortunately too late.
Positives:
- Re-signing some important players.
- discovering some amazing talent in Yeo, Ellis, Bennell and Mcgovern
- players such as Hurn, Mckenzie and Gaff building on previous good years.
- Rosa, Sheppard showing they deserve spots in the team.
Negatives:
- Fade outs are what cost us a finals spot
- Masten, Shuey, NN all went through some pretty poor patches. Sure they eventually found some form but it was hell watching some of that rubbish.
- Selwood and Wellingham were hopeless

Poor year.

Had a chance for a few of the younger guys to play serious game time and they generally haven't.

Took some time to adjust to a game plan but still similar issues to last year - not beating teams above us, losing winnable games, & poorly managing injuries.

A few positives in Yeo, Gov and Lycett and not getting smashed (biggest lost was v Geelong, not sure we lost many more by 5+ goals), not much else.

Last edited:
6/10.

Took some steps forward. Simpson's game plan looks like it'll work.

Ultimately cost ourselves a finals spot with close losses, but hopefully the issues will sort themselves out over the summer and we can make a real charge next year.

We finished right on the bubble, where most of you though we'd be.

Back