Four Corners Tonight: Live Greyhound Blooding

Remove this Banner Ad

That's very disturbing,got a greyhound running tomorrow night.It's been good fun meeting up with the boys in the syndicate, watching the dog go round having a few beers even winning some cash.Going to be some arguments this time.

Talks of banning the sport are ridiculous. As with anything, get rid of the guilty parties.

With such significant amounts of money to be made, you will always have people trying to cheat the system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone post a brief run down of the story? I can't watch it at work.

Basically the peak body for Australian Greyhound Racing has over 20 'integrity' officers based around the country. These guys are responsible for monitoring training methods to make sure everything is above board. Unfortunately a handful of animal rights representatives managed to uncover live baiting on several training tracks in Brisbane, NSW and Victoria. They did this by placing hidden cameras at each venue. The footage is absolutely horrendous and this included live baiting of piglets, possums and rabbits. The cameras also caught a number of high profile trainers using these facilities, including the biggest trainer in the country, Darren McDonald.

On a side note, how ordinary is the guy from Australian Greyhound Racing? He had no idea how to respond to the allegations and this was before any footage was shown. He almost had a Tony Abbott shaking episode on camera. If this is the guy who is responsible for running the show, no wonder they are in so much trouble.

the GRV response is just as baffling

"
Mr Caillard refuted allegations in the program that the practice is widespread in Victoria.

“To the best of our knowledge, this disgusting and illegal behaviour is isolated in Victoria to the privately owned training facility at Tooradin,” Mr Caillard said."

a week ago "to the best of your knowledge" this behaviour didn't happen at all. why would they put that in their press release

Basically the peak body for Australian Greyhound Racing has over 20 'integrity' officers based around the country. These guys are responsible for monitoring training methods to make sure everything is above board. Unfortunately a handful of animal rights representatives managed to uncover live baiting on several training tracks in Brisbane, NSW and Victoria. They did this by placing hidden cameras at each venue. The footage is absolutely horrendous and this included live baiting of piglets, possums and rabbits. The cameras also caught a number of high profile trainers using these facilities, including the biggest trainer in the country, Darren McDonald.

On a side note, how ordinary is the guy from Australian Greyhound Racing? He had no idea how to respond to the allegations and this was before any footage was shown. He almost had a Tony Abbott shaking episode on camera. If this is the guy who is responsible for running the show, no wonder they are in so much trouble.

To be fair to the bloke, at least he put in an appearance as bad as it was, unlike the individual state body representatives from the 3 states where the footage was shot.

What exactly were they doing to the dogs?
I've never had anything to do with greyhounds.

It's not the dogs that anything was happening to. It was the animals who were tied to a mechanical arm which then the greyhounds would catch and then proceed to tear apart. I would not recommend watching if you are squeemish, and it was probably the sounds and not the vision that got to me more.

To be fair to the bloke, at least he put in an appearance as bad as it was, unlike the individual state body representatives from the 3 states where the footage was shot.

He was treating the interviewer with disdain in my opinion, he was just not accepting that it could be happening. I find it hard to believe that they were completely unaware that the practice was taking place and that they were simply turning a blind eye. Do you think the biggest trainer in the country would be involved if he didn't think this was the case? Jeapordising his multi-million dollar business? I love my greyhound racing but this really stinks and I do not think there is anywhere for these guys to hide now. They were still denying everything up until the vision was aired on the ABC.

It's not the dogs that anything was happening to. It was the animals who were tied to a mechanical arm which then the greyhounds would catch and then proceed to tear apart. I would not recommend watching if you are squeemish, and it was probably the sounds and not the vision that got to me more.

Geez that's messed up....

He was treating the interviewer with disdain in my opinion, he was just not accepting that it could be happening. I find it hard to believe that they were completely unaware that the practice was taking place and that they were simply turning a blind eye. Do you think the biggest trainer in the country would be involved if he didn't think this was the case? Jeapordising his multi-million dollar business? I love my greyhound racing but this really stinks and I do not think there is anywhere for these guys to hide now. They were still denying everything up until the vision was aired on the ABC.

Greyhound Trainer aren't the smartest tools in the shed. The gap in professionalism between them and their Horse Racing counterparts is astounding.

Greyhound Trainer aren't the smartest tools in the shed. The gap in professionalism between them and their Horse Racing counterparts is astounding.

This is true however the guys at the very top aren't mugs either. I find it hard to believe that a couple animal activists took a few weeks to find all this when the people (over 20 of them) whose full time job it is to uncover this sort of practice have not found anything for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back