Fox Footy/7mate off season footy replays

Remove this Banner Ad

Or another personal favorite was only 5 weeks earlier in Round 19's Derby of 2012. We reversed the results after much criticism of the game plan and RTB in his first derby in May.

Matthew Pavlich 8.2 50
West Coast 6.12 48

Pav kicks 8 here and then fronts up to kick 6 more a month later at the MCG. Quite a purple patch of form.

Was at that first derby in 2012. Never forget the scoreline - 5.6.36. Thankfully that sparked a 7 game winning streak against the eagles.

997046-a2ed8598-dbef-11e3-bb5e-bb14174cd6c1.jpg

Round 19 2003 v Kangaroos.

Heritage round and Freo wore the white jumper with red chevrons, my all time favourite freo jumper.

Don't remember many specifics but just remember Pav absolutely dominating the second half. He was immense that day.

We won by a point, 99-98. Put us up to 6th on the ladder and helped to secure our first finals appearance.
Not sure where could find the footage, but the play during the fourth quarter (I think) where Farmer tapped it to Medhurst who palmed off to Pav to kick a great team goal was the best memory of that year.

EDIT: Found it

Go to about 5:40 in - definitely an awesome goal

Why are they leaving out The Great Man's biggest goal tally - Rd 16 2005 - 9 Goals against Carlton at the 'G?

Crowley also kicked 4 that day in only his 5th (or 6th) game.

Not to nitpick but it was Etihad

Not to nitpick but it was Etihad

I don't remember the 9 goal game at all, but I just looked it up - and the various records say it was at the MCG.

I do remember the show he put on at Football Park two weeks prior where he was a one man show kicking 8 against the Crows in a 6 point loss. The banana goal from next to the point post is still amazing to see that he knows its gone through as he's tumbling over.

So the schedule for Matthew Pavlich Day is:

2012 EF v Geelong - no explanation necessary
2012 R19 v WCE - the day Matthew defeated WCE
2010 R3 v Geelong - 5 goals and 26 disposals in a 7 point win, I believe the day Duff kicked the sealer.
2009 R5 v Sydney - 3 goals and 27 disposals on ANZAC Day, the day Rhys Palmer tore his ACL.
2008 R12 v North - 8 goals in a 10 goal smacking.
2007 R19 v Essendon - 6 goals in a 70 odd point win. Daniel Gilmore 2 Brownlow votes might make it worth watching.
2006 R5 v Saints - Sirengate, Pav dominated with 6.

According to the schedule that's it as they have the top 4 games on the list scheduled to play twice. Not sure if that will change or not?
Yeah Duff kicked the sealer v Geelong. Daniel Gilmore getting 2 brownlowvotes. That's definitely getting recorded.

I don't remember the 9 goal game at all, but I just looked it up - and the various records say it was at the MCG.

I do remember the show he put on at Football Park two weeks prior where he was a one man show kicking 8 against the Crows in a 6 point loss. The banana goal from next to the point post is still amazing to see that he knows its gone through as he's tumbling over.

I remember that game. We came from nowhere courtesy of Pavlich and Graham Polak of all people (I think he kicked 3 goals int he last quarter) to nearly nab it in the last quarter.

So the schedule for Matthew Pavlich Day is:

2012 EF v Geelong - no explanation necessary
2012 R19 v WCE - the day Matthew defeated WCE
2010 R3 v Geelong - 5 goals and 26 disposals in a 7 point win, I believe the day Duff kicked the sealer.
2009 R5 v Sydney - 3 goals and 27 disposals on ANZAC Day, the day Rhys Palmer tore his ACL.
2008 R12 v North - 8 goals in a 10 goal smacking.
2007 R19 v Essendon - 6 goals in a 70 odd point win. Daniel Gilmore 2 Brownlow votes might make it worth watching.
2006 R5 v Saints - Sirengate, Pav dominated with 6.

According to the schedule that's it as they have the top 4 games on the list scheduled to play twice. Not sure if that will change or not?
Nearly all his best games are as a CHF/FF. Don't get me wrong he was a brilliant, one of a kind player in the midfield (similar to Goodes as well) you kind of have to think how much better he would've been had he stayed as a full time CHF during his peak years (2003-2010). Remembered being incredibly frustrated that Connolly as well as Harvey just persisted with him on the ball, when we were crying out for a CHF.

Finally a Superstar features on Fox Footy's Superstar Month - Pav is presently strutting his stuff in the Elimination Final of 2012.
Lord Fyfe doesn count? Allikat is preparing ze ban hammer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pissed.
I'm Foxed up but been overseas for the past month and a half and won't be home for a fortnight.Anyone recorded this stuff to a hard drive and able to transfer it to DVD???

Maybe I needed the sarcasm emoticon.
Yes, yes you did :p.

As part of 'superstar' month, should have had their debut game in it. Rather than more replays etc. If only there was some mid 2000's games.

Watching the replay of the 2012 EF last night was so much fun. I was getting into it like it was a live game. I remembered Pav's 6th in the last (where he dummies, steps inside, straightens and slots it) that halted Geelong's momentum but I'd forgotten the context that he'd gone off for his Achilles and then come back on to seal the game. Such a superstar!

The commentators were ******* dreadful. I was laughing at their stupid comments while trying to give them the benefit of hindsight but they just kept going on about how good Geelong were and how the game was going to be remembered as the greatest comeback of all time.

About Pav's goal in the third (where he gets the ball about 45m out close to the boundary, turns his defender who's gone to ground, then runs in along the boundary looking for a teammate, but doesn't find an option so just slots it from an acute angle), the commentators kept going on about a non-holding the ball call against Spurr down the other end (it would've been super harsh if it was paid). Then, in the fourth Pav gets monstered and his defender falls in his back and pretty much lands on him and the commentators say, "well it's a final - you don't get frees for that in a final". Bunch of half-wit flogs.

Watching the replay of the 2012 EF last night was so much fun. I was getting into it like it was a live game. I remembered Pav's 6th in the last (where he dummies, steps inside, straightens and slots it) that halted Geelong's momentum but I'd forgotten the context that he'd gone off for his Achilles and then come back on to seal the game. Such a superstar!

The commentators were ******* dreadful. I was laughing at their stupid comments while trying to give them the benefit of hindsight but they just kept going on about how good Geelong were and how the game was going to be remembered as the greatest comeback of all time.

About Pav's goal in the third (where he gets the ball about 45m out close to the boundary, turns his defender who's gone to ground, then runs in along the boundary looking for a teammate, but doesn't find an option so just slots it from an acute angle), the commentators kept going on about a non-holding the ball call against Spurr down the other end (it would've been super harsh if it was paid). Then, in the fourth Pav gets monstered and his defender falls in his back and pretty much lands on him and the commentators say, "well it's a final - you don't get frees for that in a final". Bunch of half-wit flogs.
Similar call happened when Hill sprints off from the interchange to kick that goal in the QF 2013. Bazil couldn't resist, even when Hill was bouncing the ball, deputing whether the ball was out. Pissed me off having that commentary during probably- to date- the greatest moment in Freo's history.
Thankfully the radio stations had far better calls:

Caught parts of the Freo v Swans game of '09 last night. Aside from thinking there are better games that feature Pav, what stood out was the 'erratic and spontaneous' coaching from Harves (as Pav puts in it in his book). The team were under pressure leading into that Round 5 game as we'd lost the first four of that season and some with big margins.

One moment McPharlin is playing forward, then soon after he's down back and in the last he's returned forward while Tarrant goes back after being forward early on. Meanwhile Johnno played a cameo in the Ruck, Pav is mostly on the ball while Mundy is on the wing and but then up at full forward towards the end. And then there's some really good pressure acts undermined by some shoddy skills.

In their wrap, the commentators commend Harvs for mixing it up with all of the positional changes as if there was method to the madness. It seems now that it was more of the latter for the Club during that period and with Pav's comments in mind I felt like I'd stepped out of a washing machine after watching that game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back