Mega Thread Freo say no to Buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't understand why they did it. I think it will be to their long-term detriment. Pavlich is 31 and moist people reckon he's only got one or two seasons left in him. The Swans-Buddy deal is for 9 years - he is 26 now so this will lock him in till age 35. What if he physically starts to break down at 30-31 and is a shadow of his former self - they are only halfway through the contract and would have to pay him out megabucks, or keep him on the list but not playing for 4-5 years.

No due diligence I reckon. HUGE GAMBLE.

Maybe someone's telling porky pies.......Think Buddy's the sought of mobile leading forward that could really be hampered later in his career by hammy and knee injuries.

9 years is crazy talk!

9 year contract for fyfe at his age on the other hand......

They did it because he is a restricted free agent. Hawthorn can match the deal if they want. But they have to match both the value AND duration of the contract. Sydney made it for 9 years because they knew Hawthorn wouldn't match it.
Think you are right. For that reason the money should go fully into the cap for all 9 years.

A 9 year, $1.2 million contract is going to royally screw with their cap, especially if it's all guaranteed like the Swans CEO said.

Reminds me of Gilbert Arenas in the NBA... For those who don't know, this guy signed a 6-year deal at the maximum allowed ($111 million) then:

- Got injured the next year
- Brought firearms into the locker room the following year (got arrested and suspended for the season)
- Got Traded
- Got cut altogether

And now in the final year of his contract, he's playing in some bush league in China but still collecting the third highest salary from the NBA (even more than LeBron James) because his contract was fully guaranteed! $22 million to NOT play in the NBA, he's doing alright.

I can see something similar happening with Buddy.

I don't think a burst athlete like Franklin is going to be very good after he turns thirty, he already has trouble taking a stationary contested mark. I would understand a five year deal, but I think the last four years of this contract are going to very good for Lance and very average for Sydney.

Not to mention he looked off his head in the grand final celebrations, not drunk either.

Wants to get out of the Melbourne fishbowl, good mate Kurtley Beale at the Waratahs (and what a great role model he is :rolleyes:), bigger business opportunities, great social scene and plenty of Rugby and League guys.

Sounds like a great way to wind down to the end of your career. Sounds exactly like a deal Freo would have done pre 2008.

Thinking about it last night - nine years across any sport, let alone AFL, is a massive risk for the club involved.

Who was the last AFL player to get anything more than four years? I think the Tigers gave Darren Gaspar five and he spent three of those on the LTI list.

Thinking about it last night - nine years across any sport, let alone AFL, is a massive risk for the club involved.

Who was the last AFL player to get anything more than four years? I think the Tigers gave Darren Gaspar five and he spent three of those on the LTI list.

Pendlebury, Sam Reid, Hurley all got five. Lynch got a decade long deal until he was 35 but he was playing in a different era.

I think Sydney have offered a 9 year deal as a way of protecting their COLA. I think they can see that everyone has had enough of the COLA and if the AFL comes out and says the COLA is over, then Sydney will say "we have a made long term strategic decision relying on the COLA and that withdrawing it early is unfair". This way they get it for 9 more years.

Worse case scenario for Sydney if the COLA is withdrawn, is that they will have to put some of Franklins wage in the injury salary cap like Carlton did with Judd when the AFL changed the rules on them about 3rd party deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the SCG will not suit Buddy at all, he is a leading forward not a contested marking forward. The size of the SCG means contested footy is critical, hence why Sydney are one of the best teams at contested possessions/marks.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the SCG will not suit Buddy at all, he is a leading forward not a contested marking forward. The size of the SCG means contested footy is critical, hence why Sydney are one of the best teams at contested possessions/marks.
Yeah, seems like an odd thing to do. Sounds like Buddy pursued Sydney not the other way around.

Interesting that, apparently, Buddy made all the running here. Good work on the Swans for getting him, but pretty poor form from Buddy and Liam Pickering I would say.

Don't be fooled.

Sydney made the approach, knowing that Franklin loved partying in Sydney with his NRL flog mates.

They've made up a story of Franklin approaching them, because they know that if the truth was told of when they'd started doing a deal with Pickering, they'd have even more anger coming their way.

Good work by GWS.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-10-03/gman-resigns

The GIANTS are delighted to announce they have re-signed the club mascot G-Man for the next nine years.

In an unprecedented deal for a club mascot, G-Man said he was thrilled to recommit to the GIANTS.

"When the club first approached me at the end of last year to talk about my future I said I'd like to wait till the end of the season to make a decision," G Man said.

"But when they said they would like to offer me a nine year deal I couldn't believe it, especially for somebody of my size. As you know, longevity in this game can be an issue for big blokes like me.

"But they said I was a great ambassador for the game in Western Sydney with all the work I do with the kids and they loved how I always do it with a smile on my face.

Don't be fooled.

Sydney made the approach, knowing that Franklin loved partying in Sydney with his NRL flog mates.

They've made up a story of Franklin approaching them, because they know that if the truth was told of when they'd started doing a deal with Pickering, they'd have even more anger coming their way.

You'll get the last laugh. Got 2 premiership and his best years out of him, plus still have enough quality up forward for another tilt next year.

You'll get the last laugh. Got 2 premiership and his best years out of him, plus still have enough quality up forward for another tilt next year.

The move to the Swans takes away from what we could've had signed off with GWS though. But, I'm still happy with the cap space, and that he can go and be a tiprat under someone elses watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back