Review Freo storm home against North

Remove this Banner Ad

The way North started they could have done that to any top team. They were incredibly fast and we couldn’t go with them. To our boys credit they didn’t panic but staged an amazing come back. Wish the media would credit our ability to overrun the oppo. We are looking formidable. Early days tho
They were incredibly fast and we couldn’t go with them.

That doesn't concern you?

They only ran hard into attack if you believe the Telstra tracker.

7.9 km/h into attack, 7.1 km/h in defence

Conversely we were 7.4km/h in attack and 7.8 km/h in defence.

Does it concern me? Yes and no.
Yes because it was yet another slow start from Freo and unless we fix this we are never going to be a top contender.
No because Norf are such a young side. Young players can't pace themselves properly over 4 quarters, they tend to be too manic at the start and then don't have as much to give in the 2nd half. I think we saw that yesterday.

The issue is not pace but decision making and positioning. There was one instance where a North player took a mark on the edge of the square and 3 of our guys went to man the mark instead of following their opponent inside 50 giving North an easy uncontested mark 40m out. Then there were other instances of guys manning space with no idea of where the opposition players were giving up too many uncontested marks inside 50. Part of that comes down to a lack of communication by the leaders in the backline and part is just not paying attention.

As nerve-wracking as it was at time, yesterday's game fills me with confidence for Fremantle's future. Exactly as JL said, this is the type of game that we would have lost in previous seasons. The maturity of this team to stick to the plan even when the opposition is piling on the pressure is a sign that they're ready to challenge, that the belief is there. North Melbourne's plan was to sprint out of the blocks and burn all of their petrol tickets in the hope we'd give up, change our structures, or alter our game plan. As Clarko said, unfortunately for them we didn't. We know what good looks like and we stick to it no matter what, trusting that eventually we'll wear our opponent down. Our boys have grown to understand that a game of AFL is a marathon, and they shouldn't over react when a team throws everything they have at you in the first quarter. The wearyness of the Kangas half-way through the second quarter gave them all the information they needed to go into the break with confidence, knowing they would come over the top.

This is the difference between experienced and inexperienced teams. The latter will panic when things are not going to plan. Another factor that requires praise is the evenness of contribution. There are currently very few passengers in this team. Even those getting only a handful of possessions are finding ways to contribute with 1 percenters and pressure acts.

The Fremantle identity is becoming one of consistency. We will outlast you. We absorb your best punches and then smack you harder when you're exhausted. One sign of a top team is the ability to capatilise on momentum when you have it. Towards the end of last year and now these two games, we're putting on lengthy stretches of dominance, slamming on 7, 8, 9 goals. This is a really positive sign.

I do not think we have an issue with slow starts. Stating this is a failure to observe what has changed. Last week we didn't start slow, the first quarter was dead-even if you subtract the goals we gave away for free from ill-discipline. Yesterday against North, they wrecked themselves going too hard too early. Impressive while it lasts, but it doesn't win games of football.

Final comment to make is how laughable it is that the media use Jackson's great games to talk s**t about Sean Darcy. All I was thinking while watching that game is how much we missed Darcy! I am excited to see what we're able to do when we have Chapman and Darcy back. We need Darcy to combat the large rucks so that Jackson can destroy our opponents second ruck, and we can maintain the formidable JJJ up forward.

These early wins are so valuable. They will give us the luxury to rest guys like Fyfe in the second half of the year and really attack the finals. Hoping we can go 8-1 from here before we play Sydney. Let's go Freo!
I love what you say here except for the lack of concern about slow starts. Your point about playing well for 4 quarters is good. But we have been well beaten in the first quarter by too many teams too many times to think the issue is simply our opponents going too hard too early. There must be something our end contributing to the issue. It's early in the season and maybe it has already been fixed and these opening 2 rounds are an outlier. But that would seem like a risky conclusion based on the evidence of 2023.

The issue is not pace but decision making and positioning. There was one instance where a North player took a mark on the edge of the square and 3 of our guys went to man the mark instead of following their opponent inside 50 giving North an easy uncontested mark 40m out. Then there were other instances of guys manning space with no idea of where the opposition players were giving up too many uncontested marks inside 50. Part of that comes down to a lack of communication by the leaders in the backline and part is just not paying attention.
Good points but pace/intensity are major contributors to those type of errors.

Good points but pace/intensity are major contributors to those type of errors.

Of course those play a part but situations where a genuine pace differential is an issue are few and far between. A lot of times where it looks like pace is an issue come from turnovers where we are caught out of position and can't get back in time.

I love what you say here except for the lack of concern about slow starts. Your point about playing well for 4 quarters is good. But we have been well beaten in the first quarter by too many teams too many times to think the issue is simply our opponents going too hard too early. There must be something our end contributing to the issue. It's early in the season and maybe it has already been fixed and these opening 2 rounds are an outlier. But that would seem like a risky conclusion based on the evidence of 2023.
I need more evidence before I get concerned. Like I said, I thought we started well against Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of an abundance of gratitude?
Money Rain GIF by 5-hour ENERGY®

I need more evidence before I get concerned. Like I said, I thought we started well against Brisbane.
Yep and Brisbane had already played an AFL game so had less rust.

Maybe we have recruited a bunch of elite procrastinators and they don’t get to work till they really need to.

Not sure I buy the idea that we were pacing ourselves to inevitably reel them in yesterday in that opening half.
They missed at least 3 very kickable shots while 30 points up yesterday from my recollection. If even two of those go through, we aren’t coming back most likely. 40 point leads are pretty rare to come back from to win despite the swings of momentum you see nowadays.

I did think at HT we would win but we’d already gotten on top at the end of the second. Mainly because north were so young and inexperienced. Freddie’s goal was crucial to dent their momentum and enthusiasm when we were 32 down.

Make no mistake though - seasoned outfits like GWS or Sydney, or even the cats, won’t be relinquishing too many 32 point leads against us.
At this point, given the start we have had, I’d like us to be 5-1 after the derby. That’s where we should be with this collection of talent and at that point we can start thinking about a successful season and hopefully a good finals campaign.
Next week will be tough. Crows are already almost in save our season mode from their point of view. It’s must win for them.

I know there was lots of positives, but a few negatives.

Our tackling is poor at times, we slipped high a few times.
Aish was caught out three defensively in the first half, leading to 3 goals. He can't main on up quick players, or players who can mark. If Chapman was available, you would need to consider Aish out or Aish back to the midfield. I don't think the match up would have changed, due to Cox\McDonald being out.

There is 4 or 5 goals we could stop, if we fixed these few things

Not sure I buy the idea that we were pacing ourselves to inevitably reel them in yesterday in that opening half.
I wouldn't suggest we were pacing ourselves, more so that North were going at a frantic pace that they just weren't gonna match for 4 quarters (and I'm not even sure most senior teams can go at that pace). Even while that run was going on, I was fairly confident that we'd go on a run off the back of their young players getting tired, but I wasn't sure if by then North would've kicked us out of the game coz early on they were dead accurate. As you mentioned, thankfully they missed those 3 shots.

Does it concern me? Yes and no.
Yes because it was yet another slow start from Freo and unless we fix this we are never going to be a top contender.
No because Norf are such a young side. Young players can't pace themselves properly over 4 quarters, they tend to be too manic at the start and then don't have as much to give in the 2nd half. I think we saw that yesterday.
It’s been interesting the last couple of seasons to watch the reaction from supporters and the media in regards freos so called slow starts. ?? No one on any given day will know what is thrown at them week to week.
But the ability to absorb pressure and restrict damage is something only top sides can do ? Quarter time and half time the opportunity to reset is a given but in 22 we saw the club do it on numerous times blitz the 3rd quaterter this year is no different.
To the supporters who whinge about things in game
A match goes for 120 minutes who cares what happens in the first 50 mins worry about the last 5
They believe ( freo ) they are fitter and that’s a great thing.
Great teams believe in their own system to get it done I’m not seeing much proof for 24 to not believe in them

It’s been interesting the last couple of seasons to watch the reaction from supporters and the media in regards freos so called slow starts. ?? No one on any given day will know what is thrown at them week to week.
But the ability to absorb pressure and restrict damage is something only top sides can do ? Quarter time and half time the opportunity to reset is a given but in 22 we saw the club do it on numerous times blitz the 3rd quaterter this year is no different.
To the supporters who whinge about things in game
A match goes for 120 minutes who cares what happens in the first 50 mins worry about the last 5
They believe ( freo ) they are fitter and that’s a great thing.
Great teams believe in their own system to get it done I’m not seeing much proof for 24 to not believe in them
Yeah that's okay except the coach said last season his #1 priority was to fix the slow starts, and it didn't happen. So I don't think internally they want it or are satisfied by it. It will cost us games if we don't fix it

Yeah that's okay except the coach said last season his #1 priority was to fix the slow starts, and it didn't happen. So I don't think internally they want it or are satisfied by it. It will cost us games if we don't fix it
Ever played a game a footy where you are the dominant team even though your losing ? Then watch what’s coming at you then have the ability to hold the game up so you can get back control of the game ???
The game is a living moving thing
The ones who adjust quickest win. !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back