Autopsy Freo Lose To North at Home

Remove this Banner Ad

Shame you guys didn't have this umpire - go to 0:17 of the clip, he must have been clinically deaf.

Dead set, clear as day against North the ball went out before the siren went or at the same time - think you guys were robbed of at least having a short after the siren.

Yeah.but we shouldn't have put ourselves in that position to start with

Was equally blood boiling and dumbfounded after the game on Saturday night so I didn't want to jump behind the keyboard and start typing.

Up to half time I can't remember being so frustrated at the lack of skills and connection since the early RTB "rebuild" era. Our team was a rudderless ship - I wanted to look at any positives or players that stood out for effort but struggled. Maybe Ryan or Shultz for effort, there was nothing "good" that could be taken from that.

I don't particularly care about the Taberner 'mark' or lack of free kick after the siren, its the long-game, whole season that is more concerning than any 'one' match.

Going into the game, I never thought that North would be push-overs. They are showing grit, like the Saints, that is nowhere to be seen on our side. On the other hand, we we complacent and seemingly without direction.

I was a big RTB fan, still am, but still backed JL from day one. The problem I have with blaming the coach is that unless you are in the circle, its impossible to isolate the problem, we simply don't know enough about the internals. Having said that, after two matches (glad he game the team a second shot), now is the time to make some big decisions.

We can consider ourselves lucky that we weren't playing Melbourne or Geelong because right now we sitting at 0-2 and with an abysmal percentage.

Its bloody difficult seeing RTB and Clarkson turning their clubs around, credit to them and here's hoping JL will adapt. This is his moment to deliver.

Last edited:

I have just finished looking at some of the statistics from the game. With 50% more hit outs yet 50% less clearances we have a big problem here. No 2 problem is that we had 50% more free kicks so we can't blame the umpires. No 3 problem is we had a slightly better disposal efficiency and more inside 50's but we still lost.

What I feel is the most noticeable statistic of all is that Norths had 6 bounces and we had only 1! Which tells me that we never even tried to take the game on and break lines. Naturally we looked s***house and lost.

Now I'll have a look at the stats from round 1 and see what I can make of them.

Well these stats are quite telling also. 100% more hit outs and still 32% less clearances. But only 5 bounces compared to 17 by the Saints. What I'm looking at is the situation where the ball is handballed to a player running past and quite often he has enough space to bounce the ball once or twice before making a disposal. In both these games there has been very little shown of this, in fact we are pretty well stagnant.

Lift your game team and at least create a bit of CHAOS.

Last edited:
I have just finished looking at some of the statistics from the game. With 50% more hit outs yet 50% less clearances we have a big problem here. No 2 problem is that we had 50% more free kicks so we can't blame the umpires. No 3 problem is we had a slightly better disposal efficiency and more inside 50's but we still lost.

What I feel is the most noticeable statistic of all is that Norths had 6 bounces and we had only 1! Which tells me that we never even tried to take the game on and break lines. Naturally we looked s***house and lost.

Now I'll have a look at the stats from round 1 and see what I can make of them.
Might not of had bounces but we did get metres gained through Wilson and Clarke.
Surprised about the disposal efficiency.. They kept the ball of us pretty well with the Sydney chip chip. Their kicking for goal was also elite. Our wasn't.

Was equally blood boiling and dumbfounded after the game on Saturday night so I didn't want to jump behind the keyboard and start typing.

Up to half time I can't remember being so frustrated at the lack of skills and connection since the early RTB "rebuild" era. Our team was a rudderless ship - I wanted to look at any positives or players that stood out for effort but struggled. Maybe Ryan or Shultz for effort, there was nothing "good" that could be taken from that.

I don't particularly care about the Taberner 'mark' or lack of free kick after the siren, its the long-game, whole season that is more concerning than any 'one' match.

Going into the game, I never thought that North would be push-overs. They are showing grit, like the Saints, that is nowhere to be seen on our side. On the other hand, we we complacent and seemingly without direction.

I was a big RTB fan, still am, but still backed JL from day one. The problem I have with blaming the coach is that unless you are in the circle, its impossible to isolate the problem, we simply don't know enough about the internals. Having said that, after two matches (glad he game the team a second shot), now is the time to make some big decisions.

We can consider ourselves lucky that we weren't playing Melbourne or Geelong because right now we sitting at 0-2 and with an abysmal percentage.

Its bloody difficult seeing RTB and Clarkson turning their clubs around, credit to them and here's hoping JL will adapt. This is his moment to deliver.
I would tend to trust people like Mundy who on 6PR a short time ago said that what the players have dished up for the first two rounds so far is not how they have been told or trained by JL to play so he said JL would be as frustrated as us.

I would tend to trust people like Mundy who on 6PR a short time ago said that what the players have dished up for the first two rounds so far is not how they have been told or trained by JL to play so he said JL would be as frustrated as us.

That's great to hear. Was hoping this was the case.

I mentioned after the Saints game, we have a good list on paper. Hanging on to the hope that the its not the gameplan but rather a few growing pains of the players wrapping their heads around the new restructuring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's great to hear. Was hoping this was the case.

I mentioned after the Saints game, we have a good list on paper. Hanging on to the hope that the its not the gameplan but rather a few growing pains of the players wrapping their heads around the new restructuring.
Unfortunately the players, especially the backs look like they are so scared of being scored on by turnovers they hold onto the ball too long and chip it around whereas a lot of the teams like the Magpies and even North on the weekend don't seem to care and just get it forward with speed. In the case of the Magpies they almost seem to play with an attitude, we don't care if you score 3 or 4 on us in a quarter as we will kick 6. Even North on the weekend just stormed forward, even once soccering out of the air for one of their players to run onto it forward of the centre and set up a goal yet we are always looking for the perfect pass to a mid or forward and when we dont see it we just bomb it high.

I’m more annoyed about the Tabs decision at the beginning of the game.

But about the siren, dead ball issue.
If a player kicks for goal, the siren sounds and the ball dribbles in, it’s a goal right?

I think this decision was correct but it was a bad look to ignore the goal umpire for so long that Taberner got to take his kick before they reviewed the mark.

The later play on call on Taberner was just wrong though.

I think this decision was correct but it was a bad look to ignore the goal umpire for so long that Taberner got to take his kick before they reviewed the mark.
The later play on call on Taberner was just wrong though.
Thing is I was behind the goals and was fairly certain he juggled it over the line and it wasn’t a mark. But then the umpires chatted to each other and both seemed happy enough that it was a mark and were happy for him to take the kick.

To me it was incorrect. They had the chance to check it before Tabs went back to take the kick. It is 'score' review not 'goal' review. Once they decide not to check if it is juggled over the line then they shouldn't be allowed to check after the goal is kicked. To use a VAR term from soccer, once the mark is paid and the umpire then sets the mark it becomes a different phase of play and they therefore shouldn't be allowed to go back to it.

Thing is I was behind the goals and was fairly certain he juggled it over the line and it wasn’t a mark. But then the umpires chatted to each other and both seemed happy enough that it was a mark and were happy for him to take the kick.

I'm front row and it was 5m in front of me. It was obvious AF in real time it was over the line so how the goal umpire who was standing in line with it couldn't tell is beyond me.

To me it was incorrect. They had the chance to check it before Tabs went back to take the kick. It is 'score' review not 'goal' review. Once they decide not to check if it is juggled over the line then they shouldn't be allowed to check after the goal is kicked. To use a VAR term from soccer, once the mark is paid and the umpire then sets the mark it becomes a different phase of play and they therefore shouldn't be allowed to go back to it.

I'm front row and it was 5m in front of me. It was obvious AF in real time it was over the line so how the goal umpire who was standing in line with it couldn't tell is beyond me.
Unfortunately the AFL has chosen to forgo VAR for FixED UmPire's BAd Decision

I don't know if this has been covered before, but one thing that was noticeable in that last passage of play was the three or so North players streaming past the pack as the ball flies to the back of it, with no Freo players doing the same or even waiting at the back of the pack. Even if there had been just one Freo player in amongst those North players it would've exponentially increased the chances of at least a point being scored/rushed.

The prior goal we kicked came as a result of Brennan Cox waiting at the back of a contest in the goal square. Yet the very next one he gets sucked into the pack leaving that vital area unmanned.

It was something that seemed to happen quite a lot through the game, where too many of the key forwards got sucked into those packs, getting in each other's way and bringing their defenders with them to add to the cluster f as well. Hopefully, they've got some protocols they are furiously working at, in lieu of chemistry. We need an aerialist, or at the very least a designated one everyone can work around.

I know your not, but every single person that thinks that’s some ridiculous s**t from the AFL thinks we were worse and didn’t deserve any points. People posting about the umpiring basically say every time that it made no difference, we suck and we have massive issues.

It’s just that the changing the footage and audio timing is ******* weird and bizarre. The actual match replay marries up with everything else, the AFl released footage (seriously, why would you need to rerelease something that is easily available?) reactions are completely whack.

Again, it makes no difference, we suck, we have massive issues but I have no idea what the fuxk they are playing at changing the audio timing
what i don't get is isn't the game over when the umpires acknowledge the siren, not the siren itself. that clip the AFL released pretty clearly showed that it was acknlowedged by the umpires after the ball had gone out

what i don't get is isn't the game over when the umpires acknowledge the siren, not the siren itself. that clip the AFL released pretty clearly showed that it was acknlowedged by the umpires after the ball had gone out
Yes and the most damming evidence was you heard umpire 1 say to umpire 2 " pay it, pay it" then the siren goes. I mean it's that obvious it WAS a free kick and the AFL doubling down to save face as per usual.

On another not Mark Duffield gave a pretty honest and frank review of the past fortnight on his podcast.

I went to the game while passing through hoping for a similar dopamine boost to the 2019 NM game.

Disappointing is an understatement but some observations.

Midfield centre setup was as has been noted, Sean tapping it short to where a NM mid had front position.
There didn't seem to be any change up until too late.
I was (*consults thesaurus) perplexed. Why keep doing it?

Amiss made good position early but was missed each time.
He was the only fwd apart from Sonny that showed any fwd nous even though he ended with nothing to show for it.

Defense overall did well considering the midfield's numbers.

Hughes/Banfield- I appreciate their efforts and good on them for putting themselves in a position to be picked, but they offer little. Johnson and Erasmus have to be selected.
We've gotta get games into them as we urgently need more size in the midfield.

Henry - like his season so far, in the preseason he showed strength I didn't realize he had, and with ball in hand running fwd he is one of the few that can see more than 5 degrees off centre. A way to go yet but I like the intent.

Sonny - as soon as he came on he energized the fwd line, made a good lead that was not seen, kicked 2 goals, and did a perfect kick to Jackson in a congested fwd line that was dropped. It was a pleasure to watch a footballer play football. Legend.

Where to now?

Going off JL's post match the blame was laid on the midfield predominately. JOM wasn't sent fwd, he went there to allow Switter to the mids.
So we had yet another small midfielder. Switter is fine for the odd cameo but long term he will only get broken going off his history.

We need more variation and more size in the mids.

Get Johnson and Erasmus in at a minimum, and start rotating them through the mids, Serong and JOM to rotate fwd/mid.

Last edited:
Well it’s actually a good point. The rules say the game is officially over when any field umpire or emergency umpire first HEARS the siren.

I mean, what short of stupid terminology is that?
“Hears” the siren. WTF like? Unless we live inside the unpites brain, how on earth is anyone meant to pinpoint the exact moment someone “hears” something?

Why can’t they just say the game is over the split second the siren sounds? Nice and clear for everyone. What happens if the umpire doesn’t HEAR the siren for some reason? Is it play on indefinitely?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back