Review Freo storm home against North

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought our defence held up well considering the ease with which North were able to run the ball through the middle of the ground in the first half. Clark, Pearce and Ryan all excellent. Walker made a really good return and Draper did enough to show he belongs.
Must also give some praise to Banfield for his game. Never thought I would do that but he was faultless today.

Just got through the replay after missing most of the game earlier. Some thoughts, good, bad and neutral
  • Personally, Brayshaw was ******* incredible. Yes he had about 3 uncharacteristic cat 10 errors but I will always go to bat to someone who just puts a team on his shoulders and drags them back into the game through sheer efffort. The efforts he put in from half way through the 2nd were inspiring
  • Jackson is an absolute freak and I hope whatever we do is about maximising him first, no one can do what he can do. Unbelievable player
  • I love him, I love the smarts, I love the leadership but I think Sonny has lost another yard of pace this year and it's starting to hurt a bit. I'm not calling for him to be dropped but when he does have to hang it up, I think the youth and pace of someone like Simpson will help a bit
  • Thank * Clark played, set for a big 5 years I think. Knows his role, knows what he wants to do and knows his game
  • Shout out to Emmett who I think was much improved on last week and had a real influence, Sharp who is going to be a lot of value and Tabs for providing a contest and showing he can be at least useful depth.
  • There is no one over 190cm in the game that does the 1% like Treacy does and now he's starting to hold more marks, is looking a much more complete player. Keep going mate and given the club some difficult decisions down the track
  • Johnson was pretty good but still left me wanting more. He's so close to just being almost dominant but watching him, I have to think there is a slight attitude problem holding him back. Too much walking, the odd lazy contest or falling asleep on structure. I have to think a large part of the reason he fell was the mental side of the game and I hope for his and our sakes there's some more maturity to come. He clearly has a lot of tools that could make him a genuinely elite AFL player
  • Banfield can keep his spot all year if he keeps playing his role as well as he is, good on you Banners.
  • I love having the real Pearce back and about 70% of prime Fyfe is exactly what the midfield needed.
  • Final shoutout to the horse I've been mostly on since his Peel debut. I think he will be our best NGA player for a while once his career is done. He's someone I hope we just feed games into, belongs athletically and you can just see when he feels comfortable between 50 and 100 games he's going to be a completely different player. Great game Drapes

I had Brayshaw as our best mid today. The ability to put the team on your shoulders isn't one found in most teams. It is an elite trait.

Jackson is ridiculous and so young with growth to come. Insane what he could be.

I agree on all your sentiments with Walters, except I would find a way to bring Simpson in for him as a rest periodically. He has lost another step and some strength with positioning. His delivery inside fifty is still elite, but surprisingly I think he is probably in his last year.

Clark will contend for AA over the next 5-7 years. Huge trade win for us getting him back.

Banfield has become that valuable, reliable, do the right thing player that every team needs. Hard at it, impactful and plays his role. List clogger no more.

Agree on Draper. Feed him games. Even when Chapman is back it would be good to find a way to keep him in the team. The payoff next year and the one after will be a hug ROI.

Yeah Johnson does things others can’t. He might be a slow burn but he’s got elite traits.

I think we need to cut JOM. Brodie offers more & Erasmus deserves more opportunities. JOM is playing on reputation not results.

I agree on Ras at least from a development pov. Brodie doesn't seem to have the tank to stay on the ground. I can't see JOM being cut due to leadership group and I would imagine the committee wouldn't mind his experience.

Alex Pearce has been incredible so far.

Just finished watching the replay as I couldn't watch live, apologies if anything I am saying has already been said over and over. Fantastic win.
  • Draper first game and Sharp second game for the club can both hold their heads high. It's fantastic for depth that guys like this can play to the standard as soon as they come into the team.
  • Pearce, Clark, Treacy very good - all have started the season well
  • Hats off to the mids for getting to work as a group when they had their colours lowered - all had their moments
  • Jackson I see people all over the interwebz jizzing themselves about his game, no doubt he's a highlight reel but I actually thought the North ruck split the contest with him and was good. I wouldn't have Jackson bog despite the OMG moments
  • I suppose we need Walker for Rankine/Rachele but he's as weak as lollywater.
  • Banfield is best 22 now, can't believe it. Well done to the bloke
Glad youve cheered up feeder.
Soon be holy rollin with the best of us.
YOKAI!

There's a player we had a while ago who had much the same criticism throughout the start of his career who went on to become one of our best ever midfielders.

The similarities between Johnson and him are uncanny IMO, he'll be a star in his own time.
Johnson is indeed Mundy like. Couple of bad mistakes but much improved performance on last week.

There was that moment in the final quarter I think where he had about two chances to have a shot a goal but hesitated and then handballed. Seems to double guess himself at times. That kick back to Aish the runner came out to encourage him.

What I do like is his ability to shake off a tackle and get a clear possession. I’m not sure wing is his go but he is doing what is required for the team.

Aish is so underrated but has looked really good for us in both games.
Aish is my buddy so would normallly go into bat for him as I did last week. But, I’ve now watched the reply twice(home and sick in bed so nothing better to do).
He was very poor defensively today. multiple times didn’t track his opponent back and it cost us goals.
Still had plenty of positives and his stats are nearly all elite this season but I reckon he’ll get some footage during review that will make uncomfortable watching. He needs to be better as a 165 game senior player.

Last edited:
Aish is my buddy so would normallly go into bat for him as I did last week. But, I’ve now watched the reply twice(home and sick in bed so nothing better to do).
He was very poor defensive today. multiple times didn’t track his opponent back and it cost us goals.
Still had plenty of positives and his stats are nearly all elite this season but I reckon he’ll get some footage during review that will make uncomfortable watching. He needs to better as a 165 game senior player.
He has been great last two weeks. I’m sure all 22 players will be shown a review of their individual efforts in that 1.5 quarters. The lack of any forward pressure was astounding.

I had Brayshaw as our best mid today. The ability to put the team on your shoulders isn't one found in most teams. It is an elite trait.

Jackson is ridiculous and so young with growth to come. Insane what he could be.

I agree on all your sentiments with Walters, except I would find a way to bring Simpson in for him as a rest periodically. He has lost another step and some strength with positioning. His delivery inside fifty is still elite, but surprisingly I think he is probably in his last year.

Clark will contend for AA over the next 5-7 years. Huge trade win for us getting him back.

Banfield has become that valuable, reliable, do the right thing player that every team needs. Hard at it, impactful and plays his role. List clogger no more.

Agree on Draper. Feed him games. Even when Chapman is back it would be good to find a way to keep him in the team. The payoff next year and the one after will be a hug ROI.
Walters needs to stay in the forwardline and try not to get dragged up to the wing. I don't know if it is his role or if he is following his opponent. He is usually outsized and out paced and for some bloody reason we keep kicking it to him. Emmett or Freddie should go up the ground, not sonny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson is indeed Mundy like. Couple of bad mistakes but much improved performance on last week.

There was that moment in the final quarter I think where he had about two chances to have a shot a goal but hesitated and then handballed. Seems to double guess himself at times. That kick back to Aish the runner came out to encourage him.

What I do like is his ability to shake off a tackle and get a clear possession. I’m not sure wing is his go but he is doing what is required for the team.
Not taking the first option at times ..then hesitating

Walters started terribly a couple years ago and many wanted to retire him then too. I'm giving Sonny a few more games before I start worrying too much.
That was when he was half fit and fumbly, this is different. He's starting to look very slow and looking slow while fully fit. I'm not wanting him dropped but I think we've reached a point where when we do need to replace him, we'll be fine. Sonny can be in the best 22 until he cant move if he wants, he's a legend

That was when he was half fit and fumbly, this is different. He's starting to look very slow and looking slow while fully fit. I'm not wanting him dropped but I think we've reached a point where when we do need to replace him, we'll be fine. Sonny can be in the best 22 until he cant move if he wants, he's a legend
He might have been sore because it was a second up game and a short week.

He might have been sore because it was a second up game and a short week.
Maybe but he didnt look rapid last week and had 6 touches and a goal. He'll have a game or two this year where kicks 4 or so and sets up a few more but it's not going to be hard for Simpson to replicate what he's able to put out at the moment. That's a good thing IMO - we dont want to be Adelaide and Tex

Congrats on the win.

Better team on the day but I think North (being me) showed significant progress imo.

Good luck for the rest of the season as I'd love to see you up there not just the same teams etc.
Interesting game from a North fan perspective. Looked awesome, then got crushed.

Youth? Yes for sure. But we're hardly out of nappies ourselves.

Was staggered at how little attention Serong was given. And Jackson was incredible, highlighting your lack of tall depth. Mind you, our tall forwards were nothing more than serviceable in front of goals.

Your half backs look electric, classy and smart. Until they actually had to defend.

Maybe but he didnt look rapid last week and had 6 touches and a goal. He'll have a game or two this year where kicks 4 or so and sets up a few more but it's not going to be hard for Simpson to replicate what he's able to put out at the moment. That's a good thing IMO - we dont want to be Adelaide and Tex
His kicking into the forwardline is good. Just don't know why he is going so far up the ground and being looked for. It is making things look even worse for him. Will be very interested to hear how Simpson went today. I agree it is ionly a matter of time before he is in the main side.

If you can't see what Banfield brings to the team and haven't gotten on board with him I suggest you do, otherwise I can kindly open the door for you to get the * out.
Yep. He may have limitations but he plays within them and he rarely misses an opportunity to impact the game if he is presented with one,

I thought Fyfe was incredible today

I'm not sure about Omera as sub. He fumbled and kicked a poster. Probably Erasmus to get more game time. Omera looks shot at the moment.

Even Simpson would be handy
JOM tends to need a slower build into a game. I get why they subbed him for Fyfe for another big body in the middle but Simpson would have been a better, higher impact quickly choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back