Certified Legendary Thread Future of James Aish, for a limited time only! (trolling opposition supporters automatic day off)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's a surpisingly negative post from you, John.
Which kids (sorry, kids showing huge signs of development) have been tossed aside for the ins of senior players?

What I mean is we've bought in 3 guys to the first 22 (and maybe Robinson won't stay there for too long) and are by definition displacing the guys who were there last year.

potentially 66 less games this season and a number of seasons going forward that the likes of Aish, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler, C Beams,

already this year I would argue that Paparone and Beams have been pushed back to defence to 'find a role for them' compared to Paparone playing 10+ games on the wing last year (noting C Beams was injured most of last year). similarly in Round 1 Aish a pure midfielder was played as a small forward in Round 1 to 'fit in' all the midfielders.

I was probably being deliberately provocative in my post (eg. mentioning Fevola) but if I was him I'd be looking at the club and thinking "don't they rate me?" if they felt they the need to bring in those guys.

Each of them individually its hard to ignore
- "you have to get Beams he's a top 10 midfielder in the league"
- "you have to get Christensen hes a 23yo premiership midfielder"
- "why not get Robinson he's free, played 100 games and adds hardness to the team"

collectively though they are three midfielders coming into a team where the existing mix of 24-26yo's and 18-20yo's were making midfield our emerging strength.

when you take out 1 ruck, 3 tall forwards, 3 tall defenders, 1 swingman, 1 true small forward, 1 true small defender (we haven't been playing one) that leaves 12 positions in the team.

In that spare 11 you want a mix of defensive players to finish off the back 6, wingers to play outside, other goalscoring options in the forward line and I don't think Aish fits any of those descriptions so he is fighting for maybe one of 6-8 'pure midfielder' positions... as I pointed out before if everyone is fit and firing he is at best 5th and might be as low as 8th on the list in that position. a precarious position for a 20yo wanting to make a name for himself.

What I mean is we've bought in 3 guys to the first 22 (and maybe Robinson won't stay there for too long) and are by definition displacing the guys who were there last year.

potentially 66 less games this season and a number of seasons going forward that the likes of Aish, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler, C Beams,

already this year I would argue that Paparone and Beams have been pushed back to defence to 'find a role for them' compared to Paparone playing 10+ games on the wing last year (noting C Beams was injured most of last year). similarly in Round 1 Aish a pure midfielder was played as a small forward in Round 1 to 'fit in' all the midfielders.

I was probably being deliberately provocative in my post (eg. mentioning Fevola) but if I was him I'd be looking at the club and thinking "don't they rate me?" if they felt they the need to bring in those guys.

- "why not get Robinson he's free, played 100 games and adds hardness to the team"

collectively though they are three midfielders coming into a team where the existing mix of 24-26yo's and 18-20yo's were making midfield our emerging strength.

when you take out 1 ruck, 3 tall forwards, 3 tall defenders, 1 swingman, 1 true small forward, 1 true small defender (we haven't been playing one) that leaves 12 positions in the team.

In that spare 11 you want a mix of defensive players to finish off the back 6, wingers to play outside, other goalscoring options in the forward line and I don't think Aish fits any of those descriptions so he is fighting for maybe one of 6-8 'pure midfielder' positions... as I pointed out before if everyone is fit and firing he is at best 5th and might be as low as 8th on the list in that position. a precarious position for a 20yo wanting to make a name for himself.
I take your point, even though I see Aish as the only one to have missed a game that he would normally have got (perhaps).
There was a perceived issue with the go home 5 that there was unhappiness for a couple, not getting games, and a general softness with some young players being a bit precious. Players need to play where they're required by the coach, IMO. If they feel aggrieved because they're asked to do something different, then I'm not sure I'm that upset with them wanting out. In the long run, they'll hit a snag where ever they go (clubwise) as very few get to play their careers in one position or role.
If it's a case of wanting to leave because he doesn't get to be a star midfielder, due to us having better ones, then he doesn't fit our club. As for the other lads, they'll get their chances. The discussion has been had before, about the importance of balancing experience and competitiveness with "playing the kids". You just can't do both. To take out guys that are holding spots, to allow the youth to get games can have the opposite effect to good development.

The Crows are looking pretty sharp so far. I doubt he'll get a better go at it there.

Think his omission from the side was more a combination of dip in form + 2nd year player + competitive for spots in particular position.

Thinking on the run here...completely unthought out idea...so probably a standard post from me but...

If you draft a 1st round player and that player wishes to leave within the first 1-3years for reasons that are out of your control.

Pretend we're club A and club B wants him but they only have pick 16 for a previous pick 7. Club B can't offer reasonable value and doesn't really need to so theres a distinct power imbalance between A and B.

Club A get as compensation a pick equal to that used on player x. Club B lose pick 16 and gain player X. B would lose what it was willing to pay under the current system and A would get back what it paid.

giphy.gif

I eagerly await your replies :$

Think his omission from the side was more a combination of dip in form + 2nd year player + competitive for spots in particular position.

Thinking on the run here...completely unthought out idea...so probably a standard post from me but...

If you draft a 1st round player and that player wishes to leave within the first 1-3years for reasons that are out of your control.

Pretend we're club A and club B wants him but they only have pick 16 for a previous pick 7. Club B can't offer reasonable value and doesn't really need to so theres a distinct power imbalance between A and B.

Club A get as compensation a pick equal to that used on player x. Club B lose pick 16 and gain player X. B would lose what it was willing to pay under the current system and A would get back what it paid.

giphy.gif

I eagerly await your replies :$

And everybody inbetween pick 6 and 16 gets pushed back a spot and hates it as much as we do when it happens to us ...

Of course they could use their draft value calculations on themselves and make B pay the difference in value but that doesn't really help A ... maybe B has to give the next pick they receive that is 7 or higher to A (however long that takes) ...

And everybody inbetween pick 6 and 16 gets pushed back a spot and hates it as much as we do when it happens to us ...

Of course they could use their draft value calculations on themselves and make B pay the difference in value but that doesn't really help A ... maybe B has to give the next pick they receive that is 7 or higher to A (however long that takes) ...

Yeah first sentence is a given.

2nd sentence is plausible. But the biggest problem is that it all has to be mandated and controlled by the AFL. B isn't going to go for that unless its a requirement, no way. So what I'm kind of getting at is if not a retention allowance then what?

Reckon it's Pickering playing his games. If Aish nominates us, so be it, but you won't get a price you'd be happy with, especially with him out of contract and if you keep dropping him and out of the team. If it's an open market, I think there are others who would pay more and you should deal with them. Or keep him.

Can't help but think if he really wanted to come to Collingwood, he would have pushed you guys to make it happen last year.

Reckon it's Pickering playing his games. If Aish nominates us, so be it, but you won't get a price you'd be happy with, especially with him out of contract and if you keep dropping him and out of the team. If it's an open market, I think there are others who would pay more and you should deal with them. Or keep him.

Can't help but think if he really wanted to come to Collingwood, he would have pushed you guys to make it happen last year.
No offence there is almost no chance that he'll go to Collingwood (or any Melbourne club for that matter), if he goes it'll be to Port or the Crows. The media are just pulling clubs names out of a hat to manufacture stories. And yeah you're right in saying if he wanted to leave for Collingwood he wouldve pushed for it in the trade period. I think he'll be at the Crows next year, or Pickering just wants to squeeze all the money out of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence there is almost no chance that he'll go to Collingwood (or any Melbourne club for that matter), if he goes it'll be to Port or the Crows. The media are just pulling clubs names out of a hat to manufacture stories. And yeah you're right in saying if he wanted to leave for Collingwood he wouldve pushed for it in the trade period. I think he'll be at the Crows next year, or Pickering just wants to squeeze all the money out of the club.

Why would I take offence at that? Will be very awkward if he does a Mitch Clark and gets lost on the way home and ends up in a different state.

Robertson is still extremely raw. Has a great work ethic but still has a lot to do at NEAFL level on skills and decision making before we will see him as a regular at senior level.

He's also still just recovering from sinus surgery and played limited minutes in his comeback in the NEAFL last week, so it's hard to make the case he has been "pushed out".

I'd still have him in over Robinson but maybe that's just me, we seemed much more competitive when he was in the side.

The only way he'll go elsewhere is if he gets an OMG offer, something too good to refuse. Otherwise Adelaide here he comes. Danger to Geelong, Aish to Adelaide...........what do we get, now that's the interesting bit.

For what its worth, Rowie on AA is friends with the Aishs as he played with them at Norwood. He said he spoke to Michael Aish the other day ( James Uncle), and he said the James was more likely to re-sign with Brisbane, would not go to Melbourne or Port.
You naughty boy!!!

But... Since when do 1st and 2nd year players own the right to a permanent spot in a team.
I find it quite frustrating these days, list management must be a nightmare for clubs, don't give a kid games and they are leaving for "more opportunities"
Due to the go home 5, we were lucky to get all of beams, buddy and robbo to boost our age profile. What? And don't play them all cos a 2nd year player played that role the year before when he was gifted games. Don't get me wrong, I love our kids, and some of them deserve their spot and are in our best line up, but these kids are getting these games, particularly last year, out of lack of options, and they are more likely to develop better playing and training alongside mature players

I'm not making any comment about gifting players games... I'm making a comment as to aish being less inclined to resign now being 2-3 places lower in the midfield pecking order at the club.

If your company employed two extra people in your skill area with more experience would you not consider moving on to 'greener pastures' given you are now 2-3 people further back in your getting your preferred work (in our case the dream project in aishs case 90% game time on the ball), or promotion (money), or recognition (for us being the one to get extra training or corporate hospitality for a footballer vice captaincy, all australian, Brownlow votes, etc (often triggers in player contracts or worthwhile for endorsement money))

I'm not making any comment about gifting players games... I'm making a comment as to aish being less inclined to resign now being 2-3 places lower in the midfield pecking order at the club.

If your company employed two extra people in your skill area with more experience would you not consider moving on to 'greener pastures' given you are now 2-3 people further back in your getting your preferred work (in our case the dream project in aishs case 90% game time on the ball), or promotion (money), or recognition (for us being the one to get extra training or corporate hospitality for a footballer vice captaincy, all australian, Brownlow votes, etc (often triggers in player contracts or worthwhile for endorsement money))

Are you suggesting that we should have knocked back Beams, Chistensen and Maybe Robbo because we it makes life harder for Aish?

Goes off searching for a Tail wagging Dog GIF

How frustrating is the AFL media!! Any news with the slightest of hints that Aish could possibly be out of here and an article is instantly written about it but as soon as some slightly, and i mean slightly, more credible evidence comes out that me may be staying and you don't hear the slightest thing. It just shows how much the are blowing this out or proportion.
Give the poor kid a break!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back