FTA-TV GAME OF THRONES season 4 (MANY book spoilers) *you have been warned*

Remove this Banner Ad

This shits me. Everyone I know that hasn't read the books either finds Stannis crap, boring, weak, unmemorable or all of the above.

They look at me strangely when I say how awesome he is. :(

Read all the books before watching the TV show but still don't warm to Stannis all that much.

I don't overly love him, but I admire him because:

- He's the genuine, rightful king (at least if you acknowledge the usurpers)
- He wants the throne because he thinks it's right, as opposed to being greedy. It's as simple as "I am supposed to be the king, it's my duty, so I'll do it"
- He's got a really set of morals, even to the point where he executes his own men that resort to rape or cannibalism
- He's not interested in playing games, despite acknowledging that that's generally how you win

And I find him sort of endearing because he has these values that he'll stick to, to the point of being stubborn.
But he isn't the rightful king, technically the targeryn kid is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- He's the genuine, rightful king (at least if you acknowledge the usurpers)
So if you acknowledge Robert was king then Stannis is the rightful king.

I agree with the rest of Kong's post too. He's not "likeable" (although he's bad ass) but he's not trying to be. It's his duty to be the king and so he'll do what he needs to in order to get there. He's pretty much the most honourable man in Westeros these days anyway and I'm still a sucker for people doing what's right.

Last edited:
I also think they have brushed over Reek/theons character development, he is a HUGE part of the books.
But the development of Reek isn't actually done in real time, only through Theon's memories. It would make for horrible viewing too, and going on the reactions of my friends to the minimal Ramsey scenes so far, they wouldn't enjoy that.

The Targeryn's don't hold a monopoly on the throne. It's their history sure, but they lost it in a war and the Baratheons won it. Seems pretty simple to me.

Which one? There's two that think they are and one who might be but doesn't know it.

QoT talking to Sansa about horrid monsters killing people at weddings :D Brilliant.

One thing I didn't really get about the book though (or the show), why did they have to use Sansa to smuggle the poison into the wedding in the first place? Don't think anyone would be going through QoT's pockets.

The mummer's dragon? Nah, I reckon he is Illyrio's son. I do wonder who will end up King/Queen at the end of the series. I'm guessing Rickon, but that is mostly a guess. GRRM has said he considers the Starks heroes, and Rickon's main purpose so far seems to be to be a viable male heir to Winterfell. He's also said that the ending will be hopefully satisfying and bitter-sweet. Or maybe Jon Snow, if you legitimise him then I think he becomes the rightful king. That was my other theory - Stannis becomes King as is his duty, but he realises that he is a broken man and not fit to be King, so he uses his royal decree to legitimise Jon Snow, which then makes him arguably the rightful King.

QoT talking to Sansa about horrid monsters killing people at weddings :D Brilliant.

One thing I didn't really get about the book though (or the show), why did they have to use Sansa to smuggle the poison into the wedding in the first place? Don't think anyone would be going through QoT's pockets.

I spose it was purely to frame Tyrion, in case someone found out before hand the Tyrell's can deny all knowledge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, won it fair and square. And going by that, Stannis is the rightful king.
Now I'm a Stannis fan and despite him not destined to win the Throne I wish he would. However the Throne is rightly whoever conquers and holds it. The Targaryen's weren't handed the Throne, the conquered the seven Kingdom's (except the North that surrendered). By rights if you say conquers aren't legitimate then probably no one wasn't a conquerer going far enough back, but at the least the Seven individual Kingdom's should stand again. Which is not likely, but is my hoped for ending that there is no Iron Throne at the end of the series. Or at the least that the North is a free kingdom.

Now I'm a Stannis fan and despite him not destined to win the Throne I wish he would. However the Throne is rightly whoever conquers and holds it. The Targaryen's weren't handed the Throne, the conquered the seven Kingdom's (except the North that surrendered). By rights if you say conquers aren't legitimate then probably no one wasn't a conquerer going far enough back, but at the least the Seven individual Kingdom's should stand again. Which is not likely, but is my hoped for ending that there is no Iron Throne at the end of the series. Or at the least that the North is a free kingdom.
The Targaryen's conquered 5 of the Kingdoms, The North surrendered without battle and Dorne was independent until it was absorbed centuries later by marriage.

The mummer's dragon? Nah, I reckon he is Illyrio's son. I do wonder who will end up King/Queen at the end of the series. I'm guessing Rickon, but that is mostly a guess. GRRM has said he considers the Starks heroes, and Rickon's main purpose so far seems to be to be a viable male heir to Winterfell. He's also said that the ending will be hopefully satisfying and bitter-sweet. Or maybe Jon Snow, if you legitimise him then I think he becomes the rightful king. That was my other theory - Stannis becomes King as is his duty, but he realises that he is a broken man and not fit to be King, so he uses his royal decree to legitimise Jon Snow, which then makes him arguably the rightful King.
If Jon Snow is still alive.....

That was my other theory - Stannis becomes King as is his duty, but he realises that he is a broken man and not fit to be King, so he uses his royal decree to legitimise Jon Snow, which then makes him arguably the rightful King.
If by that you mean Stannis legitimises Jon as a Targaryen and therefore he can be King, then Jon can already be King. The Targs practised polygamy in the past and Rhaegar most likely married Lyanna. If that's the case, then if the Targ's are taken as still the true king's then if he is freed from his oaths he'd be in the line of succession before Dany. I wouldn't mind him as King, except on the show and in the books I don't hate him so much I'd want to inflict Dany on him as a wife / consort.

Robert was the rightful heir to the throne if you don't include the Targs, I have no problem with Robert being king, especially since Dany and V fled Westeros. Though I'm not sure when Westeros found out that Dany and V were still alive after the war.

Westeros knew Dany and Viserys were alive from the start. It's why Robert was pissed off that Stannis didn't capture Dragonstone quickly enough.

I don't think Dany will get the throne to be honest. It seems too logical of a conclusion, too neat. I honestly think everyone has picked Martin's "twist" about Jon Snow being a secret Targaryen and have a claim to the throne. Not to mention, Dany's biggest weapon (her dragons) are becoming impossible to control. I just don't see her succeeding the way everyone is envisaging. If her boring time in Meereen is anything to go by, it shows that she isn't strong enough to rule a city, let alone a kingdom.

I always thought Dany's dragons were there to fight the others, assuming they're serious about invading Westeros, too. At this point, they feel like the fireworks factory we will never get to see. :(

Also, who are the heirs to the throne after Tommen?
After Stannis, who would it be?
Myrcella. If Stannis, Shireen, his daughter.

I honestly think everyone has picked Martin's "twist" about Jon Snow being a secret Targaryen and have a claim to the throne.
I don't think he was really intending it to be a big reveal. It will be huge for the story and the characters, but for us readers he throws a lot of hints around for all these theories.

I don't think Dany will get the throne to be honest. It seems too logical of a conclusion, too neat. I honestly think everyone has picked Martin's "twist" about Jon Snow being a secret Targaryen and have a claim to the throne. Not to mention, Dany's biggest weapon (her dragons) are becoming impossible to control. I just don't see her succeeding the way everyone is envisaging. If her boring time in Meereen is anything to go by, it shows that she isn't strong enough to rule a city, let alone a kingdom.
I just hope that, if this is the case, Martin doesn't change it to something shitter just for the sake of shocking everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back