GAME OVER! Thoughts on game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Rutten is a CHAMPION!!!!!!!!...played brilliantly tonight!!

First half was shocking...hard to find any poitives but to their credit they came out and fought untill the end in the second half.

I thought Jericho played quite well in the last quarter aswell as Thompson after dislocationg is finger in the first quarter!!

Why in the last couple of weeks has Reilly been on the bench for a large part of the game? Is he carrying an injury?

Although Perrie couldn't hold onto a mark he still did a few taps on to the advantage of the crows which resulted in entry to the forward 50 but all in all he was below par tonight.

Hentschel was average...very average....as was BOCK

A 9pt loss isnt that bad in the end, honestly i thought it was going to blow out after half time the way brisbane were playing compared to us

BRING ON THE SAINTERS :D

That first quarter was horrendous. What happened to our skills when we went inside forward fifty? Arrgh... and the amount of times players would pass it off to teammates in worse positions when they should have had a shot themselves was unforgivable.

There was an element of that in the last quarter too. We had enough opportunities to snatch it, but we just didn't take them. This was one that got away.

Brisbane were well below their best - have been all year. So there's no honourable loss in losing only by 9 points.

I thought Ricciuto and Thompson were our best. Edwards disappointed me with the amount of skill errors he made. Mattner really came into in the second half with the run he provided.

I think you're being harsh on Burton. I thought he did alright with his attack on the ball. Doughty was another who impressed me in this regard. Likewise Shirley whose endevour at ground level was a highlight.

Bock really didn't look the part. He dropped some absolute sitters.

Perrie had a dirty day. He's a first rate trier but with third rate ability. Nothing new there. Won't be dropped though; he's the only power forward we've got.

Jericho I thought made a decent return. Held a few marks and kicked a very nice goal. If only we'd had a bit more straight kicking!

Welsh so-so.

Another very pleasing performance from Rutten. Did the job on Brown. He's having a great year. Bassett also continued his good year. Torney was excellent early in repelling Brisbane attacks, probably faded a bit as the match went on. Hart was a bit worrying with his kicking in - chose the wrong option on a couple of occassions.

Good game from our ruckmen.

Really across the ground it was a pretty reasonable performance. We just couldn't put it on the board. Perhaps we should rename ourselves the Socceroos.

If anyone gets an offer to trade Burton for some magic beans, take it.

Guys there are alot of negatives tonight but our last quarter fightback was sensational and it was just our lack of experience which failed to get us across the line, Rutten and Thompson were sensational and once again Bock proved he's not up to standard!

True I guess I was being a bit harsh on Burton but really he should've handballed to Welsh in the goalsquare rather than trying that cute little banana kick.

Rutten was absolutely outstanding against Jono Brown - he'll probably get the job on Gehrig next week. Can he get a rising star nomination? Hopefully McGregor will be back so he can take on Riewoldt - although I don't think he was the speed to go ith him but we'll see.

Yes I agree that Shirley and Doughty were pretty hard at the ball and Thommo, Roo and Mattner gave us great drive in the 2nd half. Thommo is turning out to be one of my fav players now.

BTW anyone know how serious the injury is to Goody? How he's ok...

Changes for next week:

In: Watts/Stevo, McGregor
Out: Bock, Goodwin (if injured)

That second quarter was a shocker. Absolute shocker

Burton annoyed that ******** out of me tonight. :mad: Hentschel and Perrie.... :(

I thought that Roo, Rutten and Thompson were the only real stand outs.

The Crows should've won the game tonight. Terrible kicking for goal.... and Burton, what the hell was he doing? Why didn't he handball to Welsh? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PLEASE... dont talk about a sensational fightback.
Missed opportunitys cost us the game.

It should be de-javu for A Jarman this week with Reilly and McLeod given more flak.

Personally, I think Reilly should be sent back to the SANFL. You wouldnt drop McLeod but he must be given more time in the middle IMO.

When the ball is kicked in either on the ground or 20 metres in the air I hardly think perrie can be called the problem. What annoys me is the shi te that NC seems to tell everyone. He goes on about attacking footy, we haven’t looked anything like it the past two wks. The worse thing is that Brisbane had more youngsters tonight. Skipworth and co just aren’t going to make it, just get the youngsters in otherwise we’re just going to finish midtable for the next three yrs. When he gets a youngster in like jerico hes lucky to get half a game.

Oh and sack Jimmy Fantasia, he has just drafted shi te the last five yrs, tonight more than anything showed that atleast.

Very messy game to watch from a neutral point of view tho it did rain all day and would have made the conditions very slippery. First quarter the Crows had all the play but couldnt do anything in the forward line to save themselves and Brisbane couldnt get it past half back to save themselves.

5 in a row blew the game open for Brisbane. Adelaide had all the play in the second half but just couldnt do enough. Wasted oppurtunities, spilled marks, shonky kicks...just couldnt get over the line.

Thought your best was Riccuito...top 4 quarter effort. Thompson was 2nd...probably the Crows most influential player. Rutten was excellent, destroyed Brown (I thought Brown takes 3-4 pack marks a week outback??). Not only spoiled well but created well from defence as well. Hudson won the ruck, Doughty was pretty good on half back too.

topjars said:
...and McLeod :confused:

who's McLeod? ;)

Has done nothing except come to play against Collingwood, and even then he wasnt fantastic. Suggest they let Chris McDermott get right into him this time. shameful.

Oh and fantastic game Ben! You did a good job son! Very proud of you!

Imagine what Thommo could have done if he was one for the whole 4 quarters...

Hi guys

got back from the game - my voice is almost gawn... :D

i agree wih you regarding Adelaide should of won, we (lions) were lucky BUT because a loss would of meant the end of our season, we'll take it!!!!

Rutton was v v good on browny :( but i thought our defenders were great - it wasnt a night for fowards cause of the wet conditions!!!!

Comersations and good luck for the rest of the season!

Rach said:
He did something to his achilles, I think :(

cheers mate,

no word on how bad then?

:eek: dream team struggling now with injurys already. . . :eek:

watched 2nd half, for the amount of ball u had, u should have the four points, absolutely smashed them in the clearences.

still some positive signs 4 out there

rutten
hudson
hart-back 2 his best
marty

always a chance 2 win footy games when u win that much of the ball in the middle.

Well I didn't really see the game, i heard the last two minutes on the radio while i was driving home - talk about stressful!

My thoughts, from watching the 1st and 4th quarter mostly in fast forward (didnt bother with 2 and 3) :p : Thompson and Roo were great as usual. Hart and Rutten looked ok, thank God we have them. Burton is fricking pathetic. I dont think i saw him kick one decent kick - they were all off the side of the boot and wobbly.

No one in our forward line can mark. Bock is pathetic, I don't understand why he was brought in ahead of others? :confused: Everytime the ball was near him he dropped it! Get rid of him.

Edit: Oh and ONE goal to half time? :eek: We have problems...

Thoughts!!!

What I would give for a player to take a mark up forward!

Rutten (are we able to clone him?) was best by a mile. If only the rest of the team had the same sure hands and strong mind that the big fella does.

It's all well to talk about playing attacking footy and taking risks but the team must use their heads at the same time. Get the ball and bomb it forward, that will work. NOT. What style do the Brisbane defenders like.... long balls in.... what do they hate.... quick movement.

What were the match committee thinking? Bock comes in for McGregor...ok I can deal with that but to start him out of the goal square? The guy plays down back in the SANFL, can not mark to save his life. I would be much happier to see Watts being outmarked in our forward line rather than what was dished up tonight by Bock. Could Watts do anyworse?

Jerico is soft but I think he should be the leading forward from the goal square. Welsh is not in good form and is not quick enough, he just doesn't get enough space from the defenders. Not many can keep up with Jezza. Worth a go atleast. I'll say it again Could he do anyworse?

Burton to have a brain transplant would also be handy. Big heart...no brain!

Macca19 said:
Very messy game to watch from a neutral point of view tho it did rain all day and would have made the conditions very slippery. First quarter the Crows had all the play but couldnt do anything in the forward line to save themselves and Brisbane couldnt get it past half back to save themselves.

5 in a row blew the game open for Brisbane. Adelaide had all the play in the second half but just couldnt do enough. Wasted oppurtunities, spilled marks, shonky kicks...just couldnt get over the line.

Thought your best was Riccuito...top 4 quarter effort. Thompson was 2nd...probably the Crows most influential player. Rutten was excellent, destroyed Brown (I thought Brown takes 3-4 pack marks a week outback??). Not only spoiled well but created well from defence as well. Hudson won the ruck, Doughty was pretty good on half back too.

yeah the conditions just might of had something to do with it macca19. He did have one against rutten which he goaled from. Anyway, lets see how many tredders takes tomorrow in perfect conditons ok ;)

LukeHodge15 said:
what happened to goody?

injury wise?
Strained achillies :(

Ben Rutten was simply superb tonight. Roo and Thompson were sensational, rest were ok apart from Hentschel :mad:, Bock, Welsh and the likes of Perrie and Burton had a dirty day at the office. Skippy is back to running in circles stuff that ********es me off. When is can't take a ping for goal from 40 meters out then he shouldn't be playing AFL football. Bring in Ladhams.

I am shattered. This is the game that we should have won and funnily enough I thought we were a better side on the night but time and time again we can't come away with the points.

This ******** is depressing.

outback jack said:
yeah the conditions just might of had something to do with it macca19.

So you're saying he's a flat-track bully?

If only he could play on Ty Zantuck at a closed Telstra Dome every week... ;) :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back