GAME OVER! Thoughts on game...

Remove this Banner Ad

Stiffy_18 said:
funnily enough I thought we were a better side on the night but time and time again we can't come away with the points.
Hard to really say that considering that 1st half was appalling - probably a bit too kind even saying that - still no excuse for people around us to leave at 1/2 time and not come back - but at least we didnt have to put up with their whingeing - really great supporters there!!

- but it sums up really how ordinary Brisbane were though - because they should have been 10 up at 1/2 time -we were lucky that they couldn't get enough of the ball in the 1st 1/4 - as we were just merrily playing ring-a-ring-a rosy and a new games called 'count the clangers'! and 'how to waste your opportunites in 1 easy lesson'!!. In the second they did manange to get more of the ball while we persisted with those 2 new games.

Thank God - NC was able to change those new games to more regulation type footy and gave us something to cheer and get excited about. Well maybe he didn't - but something seemed to click in a few heads to bring about the change - i guess you just cant pay that bad for a whole match.

Stiffy_18 said:
Ben Rutten was simply superb tonight. Roo and Thompson were sensational, rest were ok apart from Hentschel :mad:, Bock, Welsh and the likes of Perrie and Burton had a dirty day at the office. Skippy is back to running in circles stuff that ********es me off. When is can't take a ping for goal from 40 meters out then he shouldn't be playing AFL football. Bring in Ladhams.

I am shattered. This is the game that we should have won and funnily enough I thought we were a better side on the night but time and time again we can't come away with the points.

This ******** is depressing.

Some good points there, young Stiffmeister.

Hentshel and Bock were poor, very poor. Hentschel MUST go back to the backlines to regain his form and confidence. Bock must go back to WWT.

Welsh did try against the odds.

The slippery conditions always show up those with skill and those with a lack of skill. Perrie got shown up in this department bigtime.

Burton's effort was excellent, although not always effective. He'll always make some clangers because that's who he is, but overall he still is a positive.

Skippy disappointed me too. If he believed he could kick more than 40 metres and had a crack at it, he could have kicked 3 maybe 4 goals, instead of running around in circles and giving off the ball to a team-mate under enemy fire.

You didn't mention McLeod going AWOL in the last quarter - I was very disappointed with his last quarter.

And yes, there's far too many games where we are the better team in general play and never hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. Far too many. :(

Few teams are going to dominate and play 4 sensational 1/4s in a match - we did have Richmond and Freo in recent weeks - you at least want your team having a go, making something of their opportunites, and playing the sort of footy that keeps you excited and at worst interested in the game. You hate seeing your team having a bad 1/4 - like we saw tonight.

BUT to see 2 1/4's like that in one night was a bit hard to take - sort of a bit like they finished off the last game and took it into this week. I fear the worst next week, but stranger things have happened. I still maintain our best chance each week to play 4 solid 1/4's is make all our opposition wear Power jumpers!

Rach said:
That second quarter was a shocker. Absolute shocker

Burton annoyed that ******** out of me tonight. :mad: Hentschel and Perrie.... :(

I thought that Roo, Rutten and Thompson were the only real stand outs.

The Crows should've won the game tonight. Terrible kicking for goal.... and Burton, what the hell was he doing? Why didn't he handball to Welsh? :confused:

Agree 100% We were crap from the start.

I dont have too many problems with our defnsive 6 at the moment. I thought they were very valiant, commited and disciplined especially early on. However they had no support from their teammates in the middle or up forward.

The delivery was terrible and midfield rotations - why have Thommo off for Burton? we needed both of those guys on the ground - one on the wing, the other up forward.

We lack leadership, skills and brains up forward. We need someone to take charge of that area ASAP.

Ben Rutten was fantastic.

I am sick to death of hearing about the attacking footy the Crows will play and then watching the crap that was served up to us tonight time and again. We struggle to string 10 goals together.

A few pasengers need to be let off this week.

macca23 said:
Hentshel and Bock were poor, very poor. Hentschel MUST go back to the backlines to regain his form and confidence. Bock must go back to WWT.

You didn't mention McLeod going AWOL in the last quarter - I was very disappointed with his last quarter.

:(

Both those Eagles boys should be heading back to pecker park.

As for McLeod going AWOL..its just about par for the course for him at the minute.

Remove McLeod and Clarke from the leadership group and put in Rutten and Thompson.

Another one who has disappointed lately is Tyson Edwards - usually Mr Reliable but lately has been making skill and decision errors, always turning onto his left foot (which is not as good as he thinks it is) and keeps getting his kicks smothered. A barometer of the team ATM. Can't drop him but is he injured or just out of sorts?

Out of our 4 losses thus far, that one tonight was the one that hurts the most. We should never have lost that game. We had enough of the ball and enough chances (especially in the 2nd half) to win 2 matches, let alone 1. 58 inside-50's t0 41. Give me a ********ing break! :(

We just don't take our opportunities and not having at least one class forward hurts like buggery. 7 more scoring shots tonight...what a waste. :mad:

I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said before, just getting it off my chest!

Skill-making decisions when going forward are also still our achilles heel.

Let's not kid ourselves either....That Brisbane team was there for the taking tonight. They are nowhere near the team they once where, and there is no excuse to drop that home game.

Hentschel is a sad mess at the moment. He must be sent back to the SANFL to regain touch or be moved back into defence,with Kenny moving forward, perhaps.

Bock, well, at best --- is a waste of ********ing breath. RIP.

Saw Watts and Stevens today and they both played well. Time to bring one of them or both back in.

The Saints have injury concerns at the moment, and it's not without possibility that we could sneak a 'shock' win next week.

After the disappointment of tonight drifts off, reality sets in. We are 4-4, which is a damn sight better than I - personally - thought we'd be at this point. The 'easier' side of our draw starts in round 10 with 2 consecutive home games against the struggling Dons & Blues. I except us to be 6-5 at the halfway mark and still be a smoky for a finals spot. That said, I think it's more important that we bring some youngsters along this year than make the finals.

The most pleasing thing about our club that can be said at the minute is that we give 100%. Unfortunately, however, our skills don't match our endeavour.

My changes this week...

Out - Goodwin (injured?), Hentschel, Bock
In - McGregor, Watts OR M.Stevens, Bode OR Van Berlo OR Ladhams

Stiffy_18 said:
Strained achillies :(

Ben Rutten was simply superb tonight. Roo and Thompson were sensational, rest were ok apart from Hentschel :mad:, Bock, Welsh and the likes of Perrie and Burton had a dirty day at the office. Skippy is back to running in circles stuff that ********es me off. When is can't take a ping for goal from 40 meters out then he shouldn't be playing AFL football. Bring in Ladhams.

I am shattered. This is the game that we should have won and funnily enough I thought we were a better side on the night but time and time again we can't come away with the points.

This ******** is depressing.

Harsh on Welsh. Didn't get a lot of the ball but I thought he atleast gave it his all.

Thought Jericho was good when he came on. Had very clean hands which is surprising for him, especially seeing as everyone else was fumbling. Kicked one and set up a couple - our forward structure looked a little better with Jezza up there.

Watts has to come in this week. He can't do any worse than our tall forwards currently and what better way to start the season with FNF against the most talented side in the comp. We're going to have to start giving these guys game time sooner rather than later - should be this week.

Rutten was unbelievably good defensively against Brown and also provided great rebound. Only player tonight who I felt was no chance of ********ing up when the ball went near him. I can't recall one instance where he fumbled.

Thompson great again. Close to the recruit of the season along with Josh Carr and Moloney. Good to see Roo back to something close to his best. Mattner got back to his running and tackling best and good to see Benny Hart return to form.

Perrie - absolutely shocking first half. Fought back ok in the 2nd, tried hard.

Bock was not up to it tonight but in fairness he had a number of friends.

One thing that was painfully evident was how great the loss of Stiffy is. When everyone else was fumbling and ********ing around with the ball, you can always rely on Stiffy to do something constructive with it and feel safe when he is in the area. We missed his sure hands and footy brain controlling the game from half back tonight.

Next week get Watts in, hopefully Kenny comes back. We showed our defence can hold up OK with out Kenny so put him at CHF, move Burton to the pocket, Welsh out to half forward, Watts to FF, Jericho and McLeod on the flank and pocket.

ie. Burton - Watts - McLeod
Jericho - McGregor - Welsh

Far more abiliy to take the contested mark with Kenny at CHF plus Burton can take a grab on the last line with Welsh playing as the roaming forward, in the role he was so good at in '02 and some of '03. McLeod and Jericho to sit at Watts and Kenny's feet.

That was an well-to-say embrasseing loss.

Too many fans expected us to win quite comfortably being a home game and all, and Brisbane's recent poor form. What could possibly go wrong ?

Forget finals now, we only a mathetical chance now, not a spot you would wanna see yourself approcaching the half way mark of the season.

Another pathetic performance, no words to describe the 1st half, woke up a fair
bit in the 2nd half, but the scoreboard said it all, Brisbane had won the game by half-time.

Stiffy_18 said:
Skippy is back to running in circles stuff that ********es me off. When is can't take a ping for goal from 40 meters out then he shouldn't be playing AFL football.
:rolleyes: So he was our future a couple of games back - in pressure games players faults simply get highlighted - not aimed at you Stiffy just those who thought Skippy was part of the long-term AFC future ;)

macca23 Skippy disappointed me too. If he believed he could kick more than 40 metres and had a crack at it said:
No pace, no faith in his ability to run the lines and break tackles (slight bulid & slow) - therefore once he got some prominence in other games easy for coaches to counter.

Players turning in circles to evade always frustrates the crap out of forwards because it throws their timing in leading and where they lead out the window

FFS, for my two cents worth -

What was that in the second quarter - greatest load of crap I have ever seen.

Positives - Rutten - impressive display and the best player for the Crows without a doubt followed by Roo and Thompson (christ, he was missed during the 1st and 2nd quarters).

Now I know Burton stuffs up a few times but he is one of the few players that will contest all the time and run the length of the field. Appears to becoming selfish (should have handballed to Welsh) but doesn't stuff around with the ball and moves it on at all times (not like some others who seem to stop and then take an option they could have done minutes earlier)

Negatives -

Hentschel - not sure where is mind is at the moment but it ain't on the ground
Bock - not sure whay he was picked but why the hell play him up forward if he only plays on the HBF for the Eagles - that I must say was amazing
Doughty - yes he may get the ball but I am not a fan and seems to sh**it himself. A number of times had plenty of space and basically stuffed up (one was on the outer wing in the third 1/4 and had no-one within 25 metres and somehow Brisbane got the ball) - sorry I have no time for him.
McLeod - still putting in half efforts and in the last quarter rather than bend the back decided to have a kick off the ground (which went out on the full) - not good enough!!

I have lost patience with our forward line and players have been given a chance for 3-4 weeks and have not put in - remember 5 of our 8 goals came from midfielders and its not good enough

58 entries into the F50 against 41 for the Lions, 23 shots to 17, 60 more possessions.

This game could have set the season up and destroyed Brisbane in the process. Another lost opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And another thing, why do we insist on playing rugby, lets go backwards with a couple of handballs to go forward (one play in the second quarter summed it up on the eastern scoreboard area - went round in circles and thought I was seeing things). Christ, the Lions just went forward at all times which results in less stuffing around with the ball. Result - you get it into your forward line quicker - remember in your forward lines you want one on one contests and not congestion but we take so long to get it there.

outback jack said:
When the ball is kicked in either on the ground or 20 metres in the air I hardly think perrie can be called the problem. What annoys me is the shi te that NC seems to tell everyone. He goes on about attacking footy, we haven’t looked anything like it the past two wks. The worse thing is that Brisbane had more youngsters tonight. Skipworth and co just aren’t going to make it, just get the youngsters in otherwise we’re just going to finish midtable for the next three yrs. When he gets a youngster in like jerico hes lucky to get half a game.

Oh and sack Jimmy Fantasia, he has just drafted shi te the last five yrs, tonight more than anything showed that atleast.

Oh come on Jackie Boy, that's a bit harsh, Fantas has done an amazing job.
Can you imagine if Roo, Goody, Macca and Edwards were to retire tomorrow our frontline midfielders would be, excluding 2004 drafts, - well, let's just hope Thomspon and Mattner don't get injured. Although, it wouldn't matter how good our midfield is as there's no one to kick it to in the forward line anyway.

First point to be made is that I believe Brisbane had 5 first year players in the side playing against "possibly" our best side (or not far off it)

For those who were ringing the praises of some of the players tonight I'll state once again that there are 4-5 players that need to be turned over because they will not win us a flag - transition players I think one poster called them - my thoughts on them are well known.

I'll go against the general thrust of comments tonight and say that there were some very encouraging signs in our re-building process:

Rutten: This guy proved tonight he is an AFL footballer!
Did he play CHB? or rotate with Brown across FF & CHB as it looked.
BOG IMO in that he stopped Brisbanes matchwinner but also accumulated many possessions himself. Clean hands - don't think he fumbled tonight below his knees when supposedly smaller players with better skills couldn't control
the ball.

Mcgregor indispensable? - absolutely not - Rutten not only stopped his opponent but unlike McGregor he gave us attacking movement of the HB line

Thompson: Once again proved what a fantastic asset we have - Just continually finds the ball, holds his feet, is a great tackler, and if he can improve his goal kicking will be a fantastic player and a club leader.

Mattner: for those who said he made bad decisions and by insinuation is a dumb footballer - I say shame on you.

Is getting better, playing with confidence and very importantly is now equally good on the defensive aspects of his game (tackling) as the offensive side.
Very clean tonight

Jericho: Special mention as tonight this kid took some giant strides. My cticism of him has been his poor attack on the ball and often adopting the junior style of taking the ball in one hand rather than two handed.

Well tonight I saw none of that - great attack on the ball and two hands on every bal, even was using his forward momentum on a couple of occasions to break through tackles (new aspect to his game) - that game tonight says he's learning and I'm confident on the back of one game (yes I know you'll say one game) that he is part of the AFC longterm future!

Perrie: Just answering some of the criticism - is Perrie going to be a champion or even a very good player for us - course not.

Did he fumble tonight and make mistakes - yes!

BUT he gave us a contest, got the ball in his hands and again tried his guts out - which is a damn sight more than some of his more fancied KPP did!!!!

Bock: If Bock is going to play AFL footy (and still has potential) he has to learn that he is the focal point as a KPP NOT play as a flanker or linkman

He also has to mark the bloody ball!!!

Hentschell: he is worse form than Begley - enough said!

Whats disappointing is that with all the publicity about he recent performances we should have expected him to come out last night as a good player and put in an encouraging performance - he didn't

Reilly: got to do more than you did tonight son

When we lost Goody it put real pressure on our midfield, we are talent challenged in this area and need to get more grunt and PACE.

In the forward line we need one of Watts, Krueger, Meeson & Maric to stand up.

Once again we tried Biglands down there - big yes - dumb yes - couldn't get to the fall of the ball - surely NC must give up on this idea of using Biglands as a menacing forward :p

mymansyd said:
Out of our 4 losses thus far, that one tonight was the one that hurts the most. We should never have lost that game. We had enough of the ball and enough chances (especially in the 2nd half) to win 2 matches, let alone 1. 58 inside-50's t0 41. Give me a ********ing break! :(

We just don't take our opportunities and not having at least one class forward hurts like buggery. 7 more scoring shots tonight...what a waste. :mad:

I know I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said before, just getting it off my chest!

Skill-making decisions when going forward are also still our achilles heel.

Let's not kid ourselves either....That Brisbane team was there for the taking tonight. They are nowhere near the team they once where, and there is no excuse to drop that home game.

Hentschel is a sad mess at the moment. He must be sent back to the SANFL to regain touch or be moved back into defence,with Kenny moving forward, perhaps.

Bock, well, at best --- is a waste of ********ing breath. RIP.

Saw Watts and Stevens today and they both played well. Time to bring one of them or both back in.

The Saints have injury concerns at the moment, and it's not without possibility that we could sneak a 'shock' win next week.

After the disappointment of tonight drifts off, reality sets in. We are 4-4, which is a damn sight better than I - personally - thought we'd be at this point. The 'easier' side of our draw starts in round 10 with 2 consecutive home games against the struggling Dons & Blues. I except us to be 6-5 at the halfway mark and still be a smoky for a finals spot. That said, I think it's more important that we bring some youngsters along this year than make the finals.

The most pleasing thing about our club that can be said at the minute is that we give 100%. Unfortunately, however, our skills don't match our endeavour.

My changes this week...

Out - Goodwin (injured?), Hentschel, Bock
In - McGregor, Watts OR M.Stevens, Bode OR Van Berlo OR Ladhams
Good post - only comment I would make is not to confuse skills and talent.

Talented players are skillfull players ;)

POSITIVES:

Rutten - what a game. He is coming along very nicely than you very much. Must be in the top 5 FB's in the comp. at the moment.

Roo - Lead from the front AGAIN.

Thompson - That's one trade we did win bigtime on. One of the few, who showed mongrel last night,

Hudson,

Doughty - I'm sure the Doughty baggers are in full voice today bagging him for running too far. But if you were running out of the backline and a Perrie lead is your only option, what would you do, either way, the balls coming straight back. Liked the way he threw himself at the contest.

Mattner - back to form.

NEGATIVES:

Perrie - Ian "he provides a contest" Perrie was abysmal.

Skipworth - soft, not up to the standard. With the impending retirement of the big 4 in the next 2-3 years, let's hope there's more in NC's bag of tricks then using Skip as a midfielder.

Burton - 20 posessions completely wasted. Hasn't Reilly's game come on in leaps and bounds since the turnover king has taken his wing,

Skill Errors,

Foward Line - AGAIN,

Henstchal - Looks lost in the forward line. Kenny to CHF, Trent to CHB,

Members booing Perrie. No matter how bad a guy is playing, you don't boo your own.

I didnt see the game as Im in Melbourne this w/e, but from what I heard on the radio and watched on the 'fifth quarter' Im not impressed at all, too few contributors, 2nd teir players are not standing up and my thoughts are right Perrie and Burton are the two most useless players on the AFC list and must be dumped at seasons end, been around for far too long and for what???

Rutten and Hudson have been our only shining light's this season from the players coming through and have gotten better each week, Reilly, Hentschel, Bock, Jericho, Massie and Begley all just bloody pretenders.

When McGregor was forced out of the side and replaced with Bock was a downright woeful desicion :mad:

Wake up all the 2nd teir players cause right now you are bloody woeful, no heart and no passion :mad:

Im very ********ed off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just from the outside looking in, you have a couple of guys with what I'd call "Poultonitis". They try really hard and everyone respects them for it, but their continual skill and decision making errors do far more damage than good.

Burton and Perrie are the two classic examples. You can see it reflected in the comments here ... they put in so hard, they make the effort ... the trouble is they burn the ball a lot and not only is it immediately damaging it is so confidence sapping when that happens. Even some of the comments earlier this year about how Perrie had put on 5 kgs and somehow this would make him a better footballer - no it just made him a bigger version of the footballer with the same limitations. Bite the bullet guys, and bring in some young guys who you know there is improvement left in.

As others have mentioned that game was the worst performance put in this year as even though Brisbane was begging us to put them out of their misery we had absolutely no idea how to do it, not for a long time will we have an opportunity like that come again for us to have a win over the Lions, still we should have known what was to come when Watts & Stevens were both overlooked to replace McGregor & Bock was given the nod instead.

I don't blame Bock for us losing last night but the only positive i can think off for him is that "at least he looks like a footballer"

Would drop Burton quick smart not for the many blunders he made but for his lack of team play & refusing to give the ball to someone in a far better position than himself, ie = the Welsh no give & the Roo no-give in the last quarter when after the bounce ( &we are on a roll) he picks the ball up in the square & 1 step before he is tripped he had a chance to hand-ball to his captain who would then have had a clear run into the 50 for a shot on goal, not good enough Brett.

Have also jumped back off the Skippy bandwagon because as much as i applaud his work rate he still lacks that something when he has possession of the ball.

Our lack of skill in slippery conditions was most evident in the first half & one of the worst was Tyson Edwards !! to me he was in the Burton class last night & for all the stats he picked up most of them were bloody useless.

Perrie had a dirty night in all aspects of his game bar one, at least he kept presenting.

Jericho has a plus from me as his effort last night was a big improvement on previous games played & he did attack the ball head on.

Roo, Rutten, Thompson & Hudson were our stand-outs last night followed by Mattner, Hart & Doughty.

Leppisch & Michael were absolutely magnificent.

cro_Magnum said:
Another one who has disappointed lately is Tyson Edwards - usually Mr Reliable but lately has been making skill and decision errors, always turning onto his left foot (which is not as good as he thinks it is) and keeps getting his kicks smothered. A barometer of the team ATM. Can't drop him but is he injured or just out of sorts?

I agree

Ford Fairlane said:
Just from the outside looking in, you have a couple of guys with what I'd call "Poultonitis". They try really hard and everyone respects them for it, but their continual skill and decision making errors do far more damage than good.

Burton and Perrie are the two classic examples. You can see it reflected in the comments here ... they put in so hard, they make the effort ... the trouble is they burn the ball a lot and not only is it immediately damaging it is so confidence sapping when that happens. Even some of the comments earlier this year about how Perrie had put on 5 kgs and somehow this would make him a better footballer - no it just made him a bigger version of the footballer with the same limitations. Bite the bullet guys, and bring in some young guys who you know there is improvement left in.
Very valid points - My view is that Perrie provides a great tall utility but he should not be the focus of our attack - yes play him as a third tall, but if he's the focus of our attack we'll not go anyway.

But no way would I get rid of him (unless we could get a good trade) BUT if he can't play as a third tall and HAS to be the focul point, then maybe his future is limited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back