News Gary Ablett contract news - At the Gold Coast until 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit shocked we can afford to pay a 30-31 yr old 1mllion a season.

im on the understanding Geelong, the Hawks and Sydney etc havent been paying anyone 1million during all there success.
Exc Buddys ridiculous contract which will cripple Sydney when we wants to retire at 34 and still has 4-5 years on his contract. With his salary to be included in the Cap even if he isnt playing.

Lets hope we dont get raided of players anytime soon.
Aka Dixon and Swallow since we wont be able to match other clubs offers
Maybe if the other players want to get paid Gary money they can start off by leaving it all on the field week after week for several years.

Lets hope we don't get raided of players anytime soon.
I guess the one advantage the Suns have right now is that (under current rules) only Dixon, Thompson, Smith and Stanley will become eligible for free agency before 2018. The '10 draft class will become eligible for free agency at the end of 2018 which is when Gary's current contract expires. So you've got the next 3 and a half years to have a real crack at a premiership without fear of being raided big time. However, the AFLPA is pushing to change the free agency rules which would result in the '10 draft class becoming free agency eligible at the end of next year.

Thing you have to remember about GA is that he will probably play in to his mid-30s. Even if he does take another contract at GCS, he still can return to Geelong after.
Might not be known to you, but to those close to him everyone knows he wishes to return to see out his career.
Might not happen but that's the truth of it and not that surprising at all really.

Pretty freaky Bradley!

If he truly wanted to leave in 2015 he could have when his contract was to finish but that's when he signed his contract extension,$$$$ hungry Gaz couldn't say no

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app
My question to Suns fans is, if you knew that a couple of years down the line he was wanting out of his contract early, would you still have wanted him to be at the Club?
Lets be honest he's been a bloody great player and has carried the Suns for a long time, his love for the $$$$ is what's kept him in QLD and for this reason and this reason only I hope he stays well and truly away from the GFC.

My question to Suns fans is, if you knew that a couple of years down the line he was wanting out of his contract early, would you still have wanted him to be at the Club?
Lets be honest he's been a bloody great player and has carried the Suns for a long time, his love for the $$$$ is what's kept him in QLD and for this reason and this reason only I hope he stays well and truly away from the GFC.
Another factor to consider here is the lack of third party sponsorship/off field earnings in the Gold Coast market. For that reason, Ablett's playing salary is higher than it would be if he were based Victoria. This means less cap space for the Suns to spend on other players. Has it hindered their ability to recruit/retain players in the past? I'd say it's likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back