Preview Geelong at the 2014 AFL National Draft, Thursday 27 November

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is only speculation but I think Durdin will be gone by #10, otherwise we (Adelaide) would have kept that pick as we need a KPD. Apparently GWS at #7 are into him.

Sorry to intrude on your Board, but intrigued by our swap of 10 for 14 I came over here to see who you might have your eye on at 10.

Our list manager is saying the player we want should still be there at 14, that all the list managers pretty much know how the first round will go. The speculation on our Board is that you must have your eye on a West Australian as the swap gets you above WCE and Freo.
Freo are looking for a KPD given McPharlin is on verge of retirement. WCE are looking for a speedy outside midfielder.

I only think GWS inside the first 9 picks will select 1 KPD, which will be Lever or Durdin. At pick 10, we'll have the additional option of Goddard and Marchbank.

Marchbank will be the KPD that slips down the order, he looks similar to our Kolojashnij, so I doubt we would go Marchbank. Perhaps the Crows are looking at a third tall option like Marchbank.

There is also McDonald, a solid KPD prospect (Member of TAC Cup team of year), but I think he'll be in the draft range 15 - 50.

Last edited:
we have to otherwise we go down like St Kilda and eventually Fremantle will.
And we are already beginning to see a few of them push their way into the starting line-up, McCarthy, Thurlow, Walker, Kersten showed a lot of good signs and most likely feature in round 1.

A couple have appeared to have stagnated as in the case of Smedts or Simpson but they did cop their fair share of injury concerns in 2014 so we'll find out soon enough if they are made of sterner stuff.

perhaps in hindsight booby we should have played some more towards the end of last season and the year before, we had nothing to lose?

i wonder if 2015 goes like 2012 booby and we are really fighting for a spot in the bottom half of the 8 then will the mc roll the dice on the youngsters towards the end of the season?

perhaps in hindsight booby we should have played some more towards the end of last season and the year before, we had nothing to lose?

i wonder if 2015 goes like 2012 booby and we are really fighting for a spot in the bottom half of the 8 then will the mc roll the dice on the youngsters towards the end of the season?

No. Because they won't be outperforming Johnson, Bartel, Kelly, Stokes, or Enright.

You don't get gifted games at Geelong! :)

I wonder if there is any decent KPDs in the state leagues? WAFL, SANFL, or VFL?

Sully but i predicted that last year and was wrong so i wont go there again. Raikwasa from port also goes ok.

Wells will go best avail at 10 anyway

Reckon there is a reasonable chance we now go for Durdin with pick 10 and use the latter picks on mids. I think that's the way I'd go anyway. Over the next couple of years we will lose Lonergan and Rivers. We have JK as a developing KPD. I have no confidence that either of Blicavs or Walker will be long term propositions.

Our midfield though needs an injection of talent. We will be rooted when Johnson and Bartel go if we can't replace them with ready to go alternatives.

Unfortunately I can see us being a bottom eight team for a few years unless we can entice Dangerfield over and get a bit lucky in the draft.

Wells almost always goes best avail in 1st rnd so i dont think hamling will affect that.

Might affect the later picks though.

Sully but i predicted that last year and was wrong so i wont go there again. Raikwasa from port also goes ok.

Wells will go best avail at 10 anyway

Surely they have passed Sully so often , they must not rate him. Thompson from Adelaide? Is he that much better?

Best available at 10 for sure.

I thought Sully was a decent prospect, but they seemed to play Kolo and Hamling ahead of him in the KPD roles.

Reckon there is a reasonable chance we now go for Durdin with pick 10 and use the latter picks on mids. I think that's the way I'd go anyway. Over the next couple of years we will lose Lonergan and Rivers. We have JK as a developing KPD. I have no confidence that either of Blicavs or Walker will be long term propositions.

Our midfield though needs an injection of talent. We will be rooted when Johnson and Bartel go if we can't replace them with ready to go alternatives.

Unfortunately I can see us being a bottom eight team for a few years unless we can entice Dangerfield over and get a bit lucky in the draft.

Wells is almost always best available in round 1 so I think this only affects later picks.

Also think Goddard is more likely to get to 10 than Durdin.

I think they do rate Blitz as a KPD option and he will develop there next year, whether it works we shall see.

I hope with the spots we have opened up we target mainly midfielders as this is where we really lack depth.

Wells is almost always best available in round 1 so I think this only affects later picks.

Also think Goddard is more likely to get to 10 than Durdin.

I think they do rate Blitz as a KPD option and he will develop there next year, whether it works we shall see.

I hope with the spots we have opened up we target mainly midfielders as this is where we really lack depth.

I'm now hoping for Durdin, but will be quite comfortable if we take Goddard or Pickett or Ahern. I think each would add to our list.

Definitely mids with our later picks. Hopefully we can get a combination of young and more mature talent. catempire mentioned that Newton may be available - I'd assume in the PSD if at all. With the picks we have I'd hope someone like Gore or Bampton might drop but are not confident at all of that. I like the look of Lukas Webb. Think he could be a useful late pick.

I'd like to see us draft a mid with some outside speed but there is no one that really appeals that is likely to be around with our late picks.

Secondly to having a good amount of picks for the first time in a while, that last time we had a good range of picks we picked up the team that would lead to three flags.

Whilst some are bringing up the wells misses since then, I think it is mainly due to the bereft of picks and going into the draft with only using two picks.

Really looking forward to see who we pick up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero chance he'll be available at p10. I think he's more of a tall forward than a ruckman. A bloke with his athleticism and foot skills at 203cm & 100kg doesn't come around very often. In fact, I expect him to be pick #1.

Zero chance? I think there is zero chance of him being 1 now. Petricca is just to dominant now.

Why your right about how often etc , but it seems more and more the 200+ guys slip a bit due to them taking longer.. The thing is he considers himself more a forward than a ruck. I doubt we would take him now , be one hell of talent to pass up I agree...but how many talls can we carry.

Looks a good player at that level. I presume he has a right foot? Didn't see it used in that lot of highlights.

Can play both ends..I just wonder if we are looking for a player more to help out Sel and Caddy……maybe that will come from a later pick.

On that lot of highlights, we could do worse that Goddard.

Brutal list culling this year, looks like a mini-rebuild.

There is no doubt with Brown and Hamling gone now that it will be one of Durdin, Lever, Goddard, Marchbank or McDonald with pick 10. Given they upgraded to pick 10, they'll have their sights on those in bold.

They'll select medium defender / midfielders with the remaining picks.

5 spots in national draft, plus 2 spots on rookie draft. Only problem we have too many late picks!

Think there is two groups , perhaps more.

Lever, Durdin , Goddard then maybe Marchbank but not sure his what we are after , he more a Kolo isn't he?

then there would be a group we may look at with P45 if they are gone at 10. McDonald for instance.

Looks a good player at that level. I presume he has a right foot? Didn't see it used in that lot of highlights.

Can play both ends..I just wonder if we are looking for a player more to help out Sel and Caddy……maybe that will come from a later pick.

Lefties do tend to be one sided. A bit Egan in him ? I think Durdin has a bit more pace though?

not the best user of the footy is he?
Tended to butcher it on numerous occasions but has good hands, great size about him. Possibly similar to Rance at Richmond, who took a long time to finally come good. I'm starting to wonder if we may go for a gun midfielder instead because I can foresee Blicavs, Stanley and Kolodjashnij spending a lot of time in defence next year.
You would think they may trial Stanley in defence, but he looks most dangerous one-out in the forward 50.

I'm thinking they'll go mature age mids with a couple of picks for immediate input, .....just thinking Goddard, Lever or Durdin are a real chance now after today's delisting of Brown, Hamling, and no surprise THunt.
We'll look a bit different next year, which is good.

You would think they may trial Stanley in defence, but he looks most dangerous one-out in the forward 50.

so does Taylor when he's one-out but we need to mold someone into a quality defender and Stanley's physical attributes could give us a lot more value if he can play on the oppositions second best forward while also providing us that Wojcinski/line breaking footy. He's not overly strong but that can come in the next few years as he pumps more iron.
With Vardy a more consistent goal kicker in his short time around the forward line, while also being just as apt in contested marking situations, we'd already have enough potency in the forward line in my opinion.

Tended to butcher it on numerous occasions but has good hands, great size about him. Possibly similar to Rance at Richmond, who took a long time to finally come good. I'm starting to wonder if we may go for a gun midfielder instead because I can foresee Blicavs, Stanley and Kolodjashnij spending a lot of time in defence next year.

His sidestep looks superb for a big defender, it's a bit hard to kick to guys who don't present but I thought his choices were very good, and when he needed to create run and carry he backed himself.
His kicking action is ok and straight, from what we saw at least.

Last edited:

I think Stanley will spend most of his time playing second ruck and resting forward (until Vardy regains fitness and form, in which case Vardy comes into the team for Stanley).

Don't think Stanley is suited to defence at all. Apparently he was terrible when trialled there - according to saints fans and even the st kilda website which says he wont ever venture back there on his profile. His assets allow him to be a sneaky third tall with his athletiscm who can pinch hit in the ruck. However, his strength and second efforts are what is lacking. Would be a nightmare in the back 6.

Taylor has 4-5 quality years left as an attacking CHB, Kolo an ideal third tall taking intercept marks which leaves a negating strong full back to take and beat the no.1 forward (Lonergan's role). Blitz imo might make it as a third tall but it is very risky leaving all the eggs in the blitz basket to come on and become that important FB. I'd draft Goddard for that role, and have blitz as the plan B (if Kolo or Goddard don't come on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back