Geelong's potential 2015 finals side

Remove this Banner Ad

bph25

All Australian
Nov 13, 2007
G town
AFL Club
Geelong
In 5 weeks time Geelong face Collingwood then Adelaide.
These 2 games will decide if we play finals or not and we need our finals side playing by then.
The side I would like to see

Bews Lonergan Rivers
Thurlow Taylor Enright
Duncan Caddy Guthrie
Motlop Vardy Menzel
Murdoch Hawkins SJ

Clark Selwood Blitz

Bartel Kelly Lang sub-stokes

Emergency gregson kolo mackie

In 5 weeks time Geelong face Collingwood then Adelaide.
These 2 games will decide if we play finals or not and we need our finals side playing by then.
The side I would like to see

Bews Lonergan Rivers
Thurlow Taylor Enright
Duncan Caddy Guthrie
Motlop Vardy Menzel
Murdoch Hawkins SJ

Clark Selwood Blitz

Bartel Kelly Lang sub-stokes

Emergency gregson kolo mackie
Pretty big doubts over the bolded and Mackie is a lock.

Pretty big doubts over the bolded and Mackie is a lock.

No doubt but if we are going to have any chance of winning a final that's the side we need. Mackie is a lock for where?
Every time the going has got tough this year Mackie has gone missing

No doubt but if we are going to have any chance of winning a final that's the side we need. Mackie is a lock for where?
Every time the going has got tough this year Mackie has gone missing
No Mackie has bee pretty good, particularly recently. If we had to play a final tomorrow he'd play ahead of Thurlow. And I love Thurlow.

No Mackie has bee pretty good, particularly recently. If we had to play a final tomorrow he'd play ahead of Thurlow. And I love Thurlow.

Thurlow and mackie both have good skills.
Thurlow defends better and is stronger one on one. Mackie has been caught out to often playing that role this year

Thurlow and mackie both have good skills.
Thurlow defends better and is stronger one on one. Mackie has been caught out to often playing that role this year
I can't agree. Mackie would get the nod.

I'm sure Chris Scott would name Mackie doesn't mean I agree. Just like I don't agree with him that Billie Smedts can walk on water or that he can hold down a defensive position
Would and should get the nod.

Would and should get the nod.
I think that would be pretty harsh treatment of young Cory Gregson, to play every game first year and then to be dropped for the finals. I take a different approach, I believe we will not win the premiership this year, so drop the older guys and play the young blokes in the finals. ie: put the club before the individual. The club will know who is retiring at seasons end so we need to look to the future.

I disagree with the premise we only have to beat Adelaide and Collingwood.

I reckon we are going to have to win them all bar Hawthorn to make it - unless we flog Adelaide in last game (unlikely).

So we have to beat swans as well, as well as the easier two (though saints are a dangerous side on their day).

I reckon we are going to have to win them all bar Hawthorn to make it - unless we flog Adelaide in last game (unlikely).

So we have to beat swans as well, as well as the easier two (though saints are a dangerous side on their day).
I agree that we shouldn't be relying on our opposition teams to drop games- we need to romp into the finals, yelling and screaming "WOOHOO! we made it!!", not fall into the finals with our last gasp in a do or die game against the Crows the week before. We know how that will end.

I'm sure Chris Scott would name Mackie doesn't mean I agree. Just like I don't agree with him that Billie Smedts can walk on water or that he can hold down a defensive position

Not sure Smedts is treated like that anymore. He wasn't brought straight back into the seniors after his injury. He was made to - and did - regain form in the VFL first. Then in his first game back he played as the sub for about 15 minutes. That's a long way from any sort of preferential treatment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that would be pretty harsh treatment of young Cory Gregson, to play every game first year and then to be dropped for the finals. I take a different approach, I believe we will not win the premiership this year, so drop the older guys and play the young blokes in the finals. ie: put the club before the individual. The club will know who is retiring at seasons end so we need to look to the future.

Long year for the kid. Rate him highly.
Just tiring which is expected.
Finals are brutal if his form warrants it in 6 weeks and we make it not against him playing

No I think 12 1/2 wins will be sufficent meaning we can drop 2 of our last 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back