News General gaming stuff, random news etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Silly kents in charge thought the pandemic (aka everyone being stuck at home playing videogames) would last forever.

Reminds me of this:

Now that it's over and people are getting back to what they usually do, the silly kents in charge keep getting their bonuses, while the plebs actually making the games end up unemployed.

Shawn Layden (I think it was?) was bang on the money a few years back about modern AAA games being too expensive to produce and the current state of play not being sustainable. When you consider how much games cost to make now vs even 10 years ago yet they're still basically the same price (small increase this generation I know) its pretty crazy.

Very unsustainable. Spider-Man 2 had a $300m budget to make the game,

Shawn Layden (I think it was?) was bang on the money a few years back about modern AAA games being too expensive to produce and the current state of play not being sustainable. When you consider how much games cost to make now vs even 10 years ago yet they're still basically the same price (small increase this generation I know) its pretty crazy.

This is spot on. I've been saying it for years and sometimes copped it for suggesting that games need to be $10-20 more to be sustainable. That still doesn't cover the increased cost to produce these AAA games but it will go some way but gamers refuse to pay a cent more. This is a large part of the reason so many are looking for live service models are they can be considerably more profitable.

But in saying that, tech is so good now that AA gaming is really starting to compete with AAA. Individuals and small indie teams can pull off some pretty unbelievable stuff with the tools available now. I'd love to be able to show off some stuff I can do one day to demonstrate the kinds of things you can do on your own but the thing holding me back is time, not money.

And the amount of games being released these days too. Like dwwaino touched on, people can develop games on their own or in very small teams now, so there is a lot more games coming out and a lot more competition for consumer money. Could be why it seems a lot of AAA games are going the GAAS route and heavily monetised with season passes, etc.

Could be why it seems a lot of AAA games are going the GAAS route and heavily monetised with season passes, etc.

Catch-22 when most of them fail.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when the bosses at Arkane and Rocksteady saw what happened with Anthem and were like, yeah, lets do THAT!

This is spot on. I've been saying it for years and sometimes copped it for suggesting that games need to be $10-20 more to be sustainable. That still doesn't cover the increased cost to produce these AAA games but it will go some way but gamers refuse to pay a cent more. This is a large part of the reason so many are looking for live service models are they can be considerably more profitable.

But in saying that, tech is so good now that AA gaming is really starting to compete with AAA. Individuals and small indie teams can pull off some pretty unbelievable stuff with the tools available now. I'd love to be able to show off some stuff I can do one day to demonstrate the kinds of things you can do on your own but the thing holding me back is time, not money.
There's multiple issues at play
As usual they lay off workers and the board keep their fat paychecks

They'll write off a game that they think won't make enough, same as what is happening at movie studios

Bean counters in charge, suits

Look at what happened after Disco Elysium to that studio, they're going to only ever make one game

Then there is the bloat, why does a game world have to be assassins creed Valhalla big?

You can't charge more because of it so whats the point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Warner Bros. are getting anything published under Adult Swim Games delisted for sale on Steam within 60 days. Which is a pity, because Duck Game is an insane amount of fun with friends. If you can, I highly recommend grabbing it.

Nice way to prepare for Stalker 2. Except I was planning on replaying them with graphics mods on PC as the games are pretty ancient now.

Just read on various places that a current gen upgrade is coming later in the year for this trilogy so maybe hold off of you're considering them on console. The upgrades apparently include various quality of life and visual improvements. Why the upgrades are only current gen though and not previous gen too for games over 15+ years old I have no idea.

I have the original Stalker on PC. What mods do you recommend?

Haven't played them in at least 10 years so not sure what mods there are these days, but Autumn Aurora was a pretty decent complete mod that both overhauled the graphics and added lots of quality of life improvements and additions. Though that was only for Shadow of Chernobyl I think. Clear Sky Remake is popular for Clear Sky but I've never tried it.

Hopefully when the console editions get the upgrade something is done for the PC versions as I really want to play them all again in preparation for Stalker 2.

Haven't played them in at least 10 years so not sure what mods there are these days, but Autumn Aurora was a pretty decent complete mod that both overhauled the graphics and added lots of quality of life improvements and additions. Though that was only for Shadow of Chernobyl I think. Clear Sky Remake is popular for Clear Sky but I've never tried it.

Hopefully when the console editions get the upgrade something is done for the PC versions as I really want to play them all again in preparation for Stalker 2.

Last time I attempted Stalker I used Stalker Complete 2009 (2012) which not only is a convoluted name but also pretty old now. I'll look into these others to see if they're compatible, thanks!

Best name for a mod, haha.

It's why I've never forgotten it after all of these years hahaha. Given the setting of the game I always wondered if it were intentional.
I reckon it has to be intentional. The people behind the mod must've been big fans of Drudkh. Seems fitting since both band and game are Ukrainian?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back