Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

I think you will see a slight change in philosophy from Geelong with those late picks.

The delistings of Whyte and Riccardi for me was a hint, and the finals have showed it even more.

We will look to more athletically gifted players. Size and speed is a bit lacking in our recent picks.

Connor Idun was a horror miss from our recruiting team. That will stick in their memory I think.
He played really well tonight, especially in the last quarter.

And we did have a few busts in that draft.

I think you will see a slight change in philosophy from Geelong with those late picks.

The delistings of Whyte and Riccardi for me was a hint, and the finals have showed it even more.

We will look to more athletically gifted players. Size and speed is a bit lacking in our recent picks.

Connor Idun was a horror miss from our recruiting team. That will stick in their memory I think.
Idun has been outrageously good the back half of the year.

He’s just so quick. Great 3rd tall.

We tried to get him as an NGA and the afl said no. That said we should have taken him with one of our r3s. Gws did well to nab him late.

Sort of my point and maybe I didn’t make it well.

No one cares if it’s right or wrong. We’re only posting what we hear. The last thing we want is people not posting for fear of persecution.

Just to be clear (even though they’ve missed the point) … I personally don’t care if people post - but then retract or back pedal when other info comes to hand. My comments about ‘mystery mid’ were not a dig at the poster specifically. It was more a reference to the throwaway term which we’d all referenced as a bit of a nod to all the rumours and stories floating around.

People get too easily offended. And too quick to take something personally. I’ve got a prosthetic leg and people call me stumpy …. Do I get offended - no. I learnt a long time ago not to take anything too seriously.

Anyway, I’ve gotta hop along and get stuff done. Heard a rumour about a mystery ruckman I need to chase up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
if someone believes something is true they should post it. No doubt posts will not all be correct..

if someone believes something is true they should post it. No doubt posts will not all be correct..
Anything? Ummm ok...

The massive rise in real estate prices in Western countries worldwide over the last 30 years is direct evidence of an economic decline in the west that was triggered by Ronald Reagan's China policy, giving us our start date for the fall of Western civilisation as roughly 2000 and an end date around the 2050-2070 period as climate change starts a reset of global economic links due to changes in crop growth patterns and associated human migration.

Oh you meant footy, sorry. Yeah I don't think we know anything yet

I think youd struggle to get Goldy to move to be a backup anyway, if we were interested I'd expect Stanley to play plenty of VFL.

Hell play every week for the Bombers and not have to be an hour away from his kids.
Will he play instead of or in tandem with Draper? That seems like a stretch.

And what you dont factor in at all - is Stanleys got mobility - plays like a ruck rover - i love that attribute in players

Honestly Goldstein at his age - and years back - way way way back when i use to read oppo boards - the North mob had a thread title along the lines of Goldy has got concrete hands

Honest to goodness he will be the worst recruit Geelongs had since Sidebottom !!!
You clearly never watched jack Steven play at Geelong.

Just my opinion - but i think Rhys has been really good value for Geelong - enjoyed watching him play - gets the ball out of the centre - doesnt mess around with it and kicks it long to the forward line

And i can remember watching a few of his early games at STK - they played him CHB - because he had great Athleticism - i like those type of players
He has been great value for Geelong. That is not the question here.

But the fact remains that he is struggling to stay on the park and that will most likely continue going forward.

Watching the Giants last night ...it did make me wonder what they do in the draft. They have most roles covered. They have Cadman on their list. Do they add Caddy? Do they attempt to trade up to get to Reid. What they were really missing was Jez Cameron... and did any of the players gained from the trade play ?

They cant get reid they dont have the currency.

As for the cameron trade it was angwin stone and a pick in the early 20s which they turned into part of the callaghan deal (as pies are stupid).
Im fine with that the callaghan bit wasnt on us, angwin is ok but meh stone is decent but injured. Cameron has been a gun and had we kept the picks we likely would have used them on holmes henry and maybe bruhn (if he got through) so it worked out for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems odd and concerning we haven’t been seriously linked to any rucks even fringe ones.
I’d be fine with Goldstein in combination with giving Conway some games and Stanley we’d be covered.
Hopefully Conway can have an injury free run and build his fitness.

The concern for me with caddy other than being related to Josh is his size. Even in the gettable interview I was listening for him to say with some conviction that he was a forward. But he spoke a lot about possibility of playing midfield. He doesn’t look like he currently has a game that translates into an afl midfielder.

It seems odd and concerning we haven’t been seriously linked to any rucks even fringe ones.
I’d be fine with Goldstein in combination with giving Conway some games and Stanley we’d be covered.

The concern for me with caddy other than being related to Josh is his size. Even in the gettable interview I was listening for him to say with some conviction that he was a forward. But he spoke a lot about possibility of playing midfield. He doesn’t look like he currently has a game that translates into an afl midfielder.

People quickly overlook the fact that Conway has a couple of preseason’s under his belt. Has been wrapped in cotton wool and eased into AFL footy, but could easily have played more footy than he has.

I think you’ll be surprised at what he does next season. Don’t be guided by the one senior game - he’s been in the system a few years and is more ready than most realise.

Stanley a perfect support role and that’s why I think we’ll only grab a state league type as back up. The mid year draft is there if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stanley a perfect support role and that’s why I think we’ll only grab a state league type as back up. The mid year draft is there if needed.
It makes sense to me to just draft a state leaguer ruck with one of our last draft picks (or rookie) and have them as backup for the backup on minium wage.

If there is nobody good enough to come in and impact straight away... just save the cap room and don't pay solid $$$ to have someone sitting in the VFL.

They cant get reid they dont have the currency.

As for the cameron trade it was angwin stone and a pick in the early 20s which they turned into part of the callaghan deal (as pies are stupid).
Im fine with that the callaghan bit wasnt on us, angwin is ok but meh stone is decent but injured. Cameron has been a gun and had we kept the picks we likely would have used them on holmes henry and maybe bruhn (if he got through) so it worked out for us.

I know the players involved ..and yes the Callaghan thing is indirectly linked to us but really ...we would never have been able to get him so ..I dont count that.

My point really was about what I thougt the lacked. The last quarter saw them bomb the ball and the desperately lacked player like Cameron... c'est la vie.

Reids price is way overs. 6 ,15 and a future pick R1 should be enough to get p1 but it probably would not be. Way too much for one kid imo. The cost is making him out to be the best #1 ever.

I reckon McKay going to the Dons and the Dons also keen on Gresham will mean that they really won't put too much of a fight up to keep Zerk.

It's only a small thing but Port will probably land him cheapishly... Still, Sav should be the main man they want and Zerk possibly going cheap will hopefully mean Port hasn't emptied their draft capital wallets yet.

Although I'm unsure how much they will need to give up for Sweet.

The ruck merry go round means theres always someone that will be available late in the year and we will grab one whether its hayes flynn lycett strachan or whoever else. We will get somebody.

Need top ten picks for that which we basically haven't had since Selwood. Funnily enough we had one last year and selected an inside mid. Hopefully they turn into an A grade one.
Reality is there is no player thats been the calibre of selwood thats come through the draft since. Yes Clark gives me hope but hes still unproven. I remember people talking up allen christiensen as a potential A grader years back. Cam Guthrie is perhaps an A grader

Reality is there is no player thats been the calibre of selwood thats come through the draft since. Yes Clark gives me hope but hes still unproven. I remember people talking up allen christiensen as a potential A grader years back. Cam Guthrie is perhaps an A grader

Yeah because we haven't had access to the pointy end of the draft where the midfield bulls tend to reside

Players I'd associate with being a midfield bull

Selwood - Pick 7
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Martin - Pick 3
Cripps - Pick 13
Petracca - Pick 2
Oliver - Pick 4
Bont - Pick 4
De Goey - Pick 5
Rowell - Pick 1
Green - Academy / Pick 10

Every now and then a club might pluck a Neale or Warner or someone else like that taken later in the draft but you are literally churning through 20 GHS/Constable/Jansen types with 17 other clubs before you strike gold with picks like that

The genuine gun mids are all top picks

Leake gave AFL recruiters a lot to think about in his final game of the season. He started in the forward line and kicked two impressive goals, then moved into the midfield for the final three quarters of the game. After taking some time to get going, his final quarter as a midfielder was very strong, using his size, strength and speed to find the footy inside the contest and on the spread. Leake looms as an intriguing prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back