Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

I think the young forward comparisons to Hawkins are given too often. He had struggles early but he also showed some signs where he looked exactly like who he was hoped to become. It was his inconsistently and goal kicking that he needed to straighten out.
We were also lucky to have mooney, pod and Ablett there in his early years so didn’t need to rush him.
The odds have a player like Neale, lord etc going anywhere close to having a career half as good as Hawkins are very slim.

The ceiling for those guys is closer to someone like mooney, can they develop their game well enough to contribute to the team and provide a forward target? That’s where I’d be hoping a player like that might be able to get to. Extremely rare a late pick develops into a star key forward.

We need someone to play alongside Cameron and then Henry post hawkins, a money type player who can also ruck could fill the void.

Anyone who watched him in the champs ..winning the Larke medal would say comparisons to most young talls are like comparing good young batsmen to Bradman.
He was dominate ina way that made you wonder if he would be capable at the next level on..because he was so big as a junior. Few kids look like that... especially these days. The dominant forards seem to be more like Schache and Lukosious... Walter will be interesting as he comes thru as he had the same sort of dominance ..although different to Tom.

There's some harsh critics. Lord is 21 with 13 games to his name Inc 4 in a final.

For a bit of perspective Hawkins kicked 21 goals in his first 13 games. Lord has 15.

We should have gave up on Hawkins then according to some here ... and that was actually the consensus for the first 5 years of Hawkins career until the 2011 GF.
Hawkins first 3 years in the system he kicked 59 goals and dished 30 off (around 30 direct goal contributions per season). People forget that he was more than handy (relative to age) even before he broke out in late 2011.

Really it's just too soon to tell with Lord either way. A couple of scoring shots a game over his first year is a promising start though.

So much talent on show. He has been mentioned a bit bit the names that have drawn my attenion is a Miers type Kako , the Camporeale twins , Lombard .... all of who are tied up to Ess , Car and Gold Coast. Draper , OSullivan , Smillie, Tobie Travaglia, Christian Moraes ... on and on some of these kids looks so good they would be getting games in teams now on talent...just if their bodies could stand up
Christian is a seriously good basketballer. I believe he is turning his attention to footy now but if he plays footy like he plays basketball he'll make it at AFL level I'd imagine.

Josh Smillie will also be a player, targeted AFL from a long way out.

retrospective? Stehen Hooper ... Aylett medalist?

Nothing against the dentist ...sure its a deserving honour but id not mind the top ten all having a medal referenced back to previous champs in their draft position.... P7 receives the Joel Selwood medal (best P7 ever)

As long as #6 gets the Mitch Thorp medal 😉

It’s for that reason I think if we hold pick 7 we’ll take Caddy. Reload on mids next year or target Smith.

Im the other way on this as ive said before. I like caddy as a player but im not sure an undersized FF is a list need (if he was taller and could pkay as a fwd/2ns ruck that would be different) and its a gamble taking him as a mid.
I wouldnt trade the pick until the night in case sanders or mckercher get through (they wont but id hold it on the 5 % chance) but i think when our pick comes some clubs who lack fwd line power (melbourne im looking at you, north is another one) would trade overs for caddy and id consider trading back.

Both will spend their careers as depth players or delisted in the next few years

I wouldnt say that. Lord isnt a sure thing but for a 21yo skinny kpf is tracking well. Look if we could get a mid r1 for sav id prefer that instead (but we wont get that) if its a case of #38 or lord then id definitely rate lord as better than the players at that range in this draft.

Sounds like a year to try secure FF’s. If possible.

It is but most clubs (with the exception of north who have to trade their gift picks and melb who often trade futures) wont be keen to give them up as next years top 25 is very good.

Better than with the Coles First Round pick, West Coast Select...
I like it: the betting companies would be lining up to sponsor every number. As for a medal ... another device to help us forget that the draftees actually haven't done anything in the AFL at that point except be picked ...

But people keep referring to selection position like it's a guarantee when actually it's very like your HSC result: some people work their guts out to get a great number while others blow it, but the minute you move onto the next thing it's completely irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lord showed some glimpses of talent in the finals and I’d be keen to have him on our list. But he’s at a similar stage to Neale and plays the same role.
If Lord came in they’re both competing for the same spot next season. They’d both already struggle for games with a fully fit team. Hawkins, Cameron, Rohan and Henry will be ahead of them and they’ll need to find games amongst that group, plus some ruck etc.

I can’t see how they’re selling that role to Lord at the moment, except to say to him spots will an open up but they will at port as well.
Esava for Lord would be very risky from our perspective anyway I’d want something else added. Barring injury Esava will play every week for Port and play a good role. He’ll still make some mistakes as he’s learning that role but he’s a lot less of a risk than Lord.
Maybe the cats have got wind that Neale may be keen to get back to WA at the end of his contract, and are trying to find his replacement now.

It is but most clubs (with the exception of north who have to trade their gift picks and melb who often trade futures) wont be keen to give them up as next years top 25 is very good.
If this was the US sports we would've shipped of Hawkins for pick 13 by now
*to Melbourne

I think he’d be better off staying at Port for another season then looking around. Is he out of contract? Different story if he is I guess.
I’d be disappointed if he is traded without something bigger coming our way. He seems a very speculative player who’s played a couple of good games. Not saying he will or won’t make it just if want some more in return. The jury is still out on Neale but at least we’ve seen more from him at vfl level it’s just a wait to see if he can translate that to afl standard.

I can see the reasons why we’d be interested though, we’ve got a good group of young players but we’d like some more talls in that group.

A bit off topic but it’s going to be a big watch on Conway pre season going into next season. If he can stay fit and play a few games next season he could soon make a big impact on the team.
It’s a long time since we’ve had a dominant ruck. Listening to Mackie it doesn’t sound like we will be adding another ruck which I do find concerning. But I am excited to hopefully see Conway play next year and I’d be hoping Neale plays games alongside him up forward and in the ruck to develop them both.
I can definitely understand being disappointed to get Lord only on such a trade, especially given sav would be an absolute win for Port. Guess we'll see.

I think Mackie's comments make it pretty clear we'll be getting a rotation of rucks that includes SDK and Neale next year. It is what it is I guess. I do like putting the focus elsewhere because we need mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back