Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

There's some harsh critics. Lord is 21 with 13 games to his name Inc 4 in a final.

For a bit of perspective Hawkins kicked 21 goals in his first 13 games. Lord has 15.

We should have gave up on Hawkins then according to some here ... and that was actually the consensus for the first 5 years of Hawkins career until the 2011 GF.

There's some harsh critics. Lord is 21 with 13 games to his name Inc 4 in a final.

For a bit of perspective Hawkins kicked 21 goals in his first 13 games. Lord has 15.

We should have gave up on Hawkins then according to some here ... and that was actually the consensus for the first 5 years of Hawkins career until the 2011 GF.
Lord is horrendous at SAFL level. I think he will lucky to be any better than Neale

Lord is horrendous at SAFL level. I think he will lucky to be any better than Neale

Ports team is horrendous at sanfl level i wouldnt read much into that.

At afl level lord shows a fair bit and projects at least as well as neale imo.

If I was told it's Ports #38 or Lord... Sure give me Lord.

If I was told we can roll the dice and push for more of a pick in the low 20's... I'd say push away.

Don't really think Lord will be let go anyway so I'm just hoping we can get a solid usable draft pick and turn that into a good kid.

If Port knows Lord will be a good player there is no way they trade him... If they think he is so-so they might... So I'd think we can only get him if he isn't really any good (which I actually don't have much of an opinion on).

If I was told it's Ports #38 or Lord... Sure give me Lord.

If I was told we can roll the dice and push for more of a pick in the low 20's... I'd say push away.

Don't really think Lord will be let go anyway so I'm just hoping we can get a solid usable draft pick and turn that into a good kid.

Agree with this.

HOWEVER... we should be pushing for a pick in the 20s. Commensurate with the kind of money/offer they're throwing at Sav.

That would (hopefully) put us in the race to pick up George Stephens, which I'd be very happy to trade Sav for.

I wake up every morning thanking God that you never got a gig on Geelong’s recruing team and I say that with all due respect.

U17 GF futures game sort of shows the mids power in next years draft... some good footy being played. id guess ( as per usual) ..next years draft will be a good one.
How's Sam Lalor going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At afl level lord shows a fair bit and projects at least as well as neale imo.
Personally I think Neale is overrated here due to us just having nothing else in the cupboard key position-wise coming through.

Not to say that he can't forge a solid career for us... Just think he is a second/third string type forward/ruck chop out.

U17 GF futures game sort of shows the mids power in next years draft... some good footy being played. id guess ( as per usual) ..next years draft will be a good one.

It’s for that reason I think if we hold pick 7 we’ll take Caddy. Reload on mids next year or target Smith.

How's Sam Lalor going?

So much talent on show. He has been mentioned a bit bit the names that have drawn my attenion is a Miers type Kako , the Camporeale twins , Lombard .... all of who are tied up to Ess , Car and Gold Coast. Draper , OSullivan , Smillie, Tobie Travaglia, Christian Moraes ... on and on some of these kids looks so good they would be getting games in teams now on talent...just if their bodies could stand up

Last edited:
It’s for that reason I think if we hold pick 7 we’ll take Caddy. Reload on mids next year or target Smith.

Could be. I can see your logic. I just want them to take who they think is the best..if thats Caddy then fine. Imo..What is important is that we pick someone who is a player going forward rather role specific. As we have seen with the discussion on Lord and Cadman..we can add players thru trade if required.

Id be hesitant about trading our Fr1 away after watching these kids play thats for sure ... and be more happy to take a a future of some sort from Port

Personally I think Neale is overrated here due to us just having nothing else in the cupboard key position-wise coming through.

Not to say that he can't forge a solid career for us... Just think he is a second/third string type forward/ruck chop out.

I can see that we get wrapped in players on our list .. I feel he is more like a Stanley in that he has the athletic requirements to make it. If he had kicked the goals he should have tehn we would be drooling about his potential. Im confident he is an afl level potential..just not sure he is a FF. Lord looks more that type. Kicking 4 in a final at his age shows a high level of potential.

Lets face it most kids are works in progress.. and Lord would give us that second discusion point ..cause as you point out ..we have too much riding on just one player in Shannon

Last edited:
I think the young forward comparisons to Hawkins are given too often. He had struggles early but he also showed some signs where he looked exactly like who he was hoped to become. It was his inconsistently and goal kicking that he needed to straighten out.
We were also lucky to have mooney, pod and Ablett there in his early years so didn’t need to rush him.
The odds have a player like Neale, lord etc going anywhere close to having a career half as good as Hawkins are very slim.

The ceiling for those guys is closer to someone like mooney, can they develop their game well enough to contribute to the team and provide a forward target? That’s where I’d be hoping a player like that might be able to get to. Extremely rare a late pick develops into a star key forward.

We need someone to play alongside Cameron and then Henry post hawkins, a money type player who can also ruck could fill the void.

Said it before but I think some are getting confused with others views.

I don't think anyone expects Neale to be Hawkins, or be a future all time great key forward.

The consensus is that he's a Mooney like player. Good footballer who might bob up for an All Australian or two, but not an all time great of the game.

Myself and a couple of others have likened him to Rory Lobb as well. Good player, but more your second banana type.

A future forwardline of Caddy (Or someone like him) Neale, & Henry for instance seems like what we're going for post Hawk/Jez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back