Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.
If his headspace is fine, no way he leaves Demons.

Feels like one of those cases where if the Demons let him go you don't want him.

I don't know, how many Mitch Clarke's could Melbourne possibly produce?

Jokes aside, it's easy for us to say that he's to valuable to give up on, we're not the ones who have to manage him.

The risks though mean you'd have to minimise your trade losses.

Sounds like we should give this kid a good look at years .. 195cm KPP. Fits a need and we like kids with multi sport background

Geelong Falcons prospect Zac McInnes on playing for Geelong United and his injury setback​

Zac McInnes enters the season as one of the Geelong Falcons’ top draft chances. The forward reflects on his basketball past, his disappointing injury last year and his junior club.

Zac McInnes is an AFL Draft prospect from the Geelong Falcons. Picture: Russell Freeman/AFL Photos

Zac McInnes is an AFL Draft prospect from the Geelong Falcons. Picture: Russell Freeman/AFL Photos

Zac McInnes has earned selection for Vic Country in multiple sports.

A talented footballer and basketballer, McInnes tried his hand at both as a junior, with the Geelong United representative eventually selected to play for his state.

While those championships in Darwin were shelved due to Covid, he got his chance for Vic Country with the Sherrin in 2022.

It was there he put himself on the map as an AFL Draft prospect at the U16 national carnival with five goals against Vic Metro.

With his full focus now on footy, the Bell Park product has his sights set on another Vic Country berth this year and team success at the Geelong Falcons.

The key forward spent the summer with the Vic Country training squad, one of three Falcons selected, and enters the season as arguably the region’s top talent.

“Vic Country is a dream that I’ve had for a while just playing under-18s and that sort of stuff. I just want the (Falcons) to go well this year, I feel like if we go well then all of the boys are going well and it gives us all more of a chance for our name to be read out at the end of the year,” McInnes.

“It’s just always been footy, it’s always been footy. Sort of just been told as a youngster just take whatever you can opportunities wise and I did that with basketball, but it has always been footy.”

The strong-marking key forward enjoyed a promising first half of his bottom-age season, booting 16 goals in eight games, until an injury issue with both ankles flared up and ultimately ended his season.

It meant he was sidelined for the Falcons’ finals run, where the club made it all the way to the Coates Talent League preliminary final before going down to the Sandringham Dragons.

Draft watchers suspect he would have been out there on AFL grand final day in the U17 Futures match if he had been fit. But that is in the past for the 195cm talent.

“I just feel like this year is the only thing that really matters. It doesn’t matter if you’re in the game last year or not, if you don’t play well this year it doesn’t mean anything. It was a bit disappointing but it’s not the be all and end all,” McInnes said.

“Last year I got off to an alright start, probably not as good as what I wanted but we were winning games so it was good. But got injured halfway through and didn’t get to see out the year, so was obviously disappointing but the body is feeling good now.

“I had trouble with the ankles, both of them actually. The ligaments and stuff, bone bruising in both.

“It was good to see the (Falcons) boys going well but it was a bit hard to watch. I didn’t even know if I was going to get a game in the end, they were all playing really well.”

At Bell Park since under-nines aside from a couple of years with St Joseph’s, McInnes made a splash in his Geelong Football Netball League debut last year for the Dragons when he kicked three goals.

The tutelage of his father’s best mate, Matt Hanrahan, at the Dragons helped him immensely during his formative years.

“(Hanrahan) coached me all through juniors and he helped me a lot with running patterns and that sort of stuff. Now as I’m older I’m involved with the senior boys and they are all a really good group so it’s really welcoming,” McInnes said.

McInnes said Bell Park teammates Xavier Ivisic and Kobe George, and River Stevens, the son of North Melbourne legend Anthony, have impressed on the track this pre-season.

“Xav Ivisic, River Stevens is going really well, he’s killing it. And I reckon Kobe George, he hasn’t been training that much because of an injury but his back-half of last season was unreal so I reckon he will be one to watch this year.

The Geelong Falcons boys kick-off their season in a double Sunday March 24 against the Dandenong Stingrays at Deakin University.

Feels like one of those cases where if the Demons let him go you don't want him.
I agree with this.

If they want to get rid of him that would mean that he wouldn’t have gotten himself together… and that’s not even the past stuff, that means from this moment onwards up to trade period at the end of the year.

I’d love a fully fit and firing Oliver.

But if the Dees are wanting to move him on the red flags would be waving all over the place.

At least it would mean that we wouldn’t need to give up heaven and earth to secure him.

If the Dees are willing to trade him, taking him on is obviously very risky.

I makes for good content and headlines.

In the end, I doubt he ends up here.

Watching through the video what is striking to me is having us described as being in the window and Melbourne as having their window shut
They weren’t wrong about the Dees though.

Without Oliver and Brayshaw their window is goners.

Their forward line is a shocker so maybe it’s already toast.

No wonder they were investigating the possibility to land Harley Reid.

Last edited:
Thoughts...

View attachment 1926129

Geelong is among the clubs keeping close tabs on Melbourne superstar Clayton Oliver in case the brilliant midfielder seeks a fresh start at season’s end.
The Cats are keen to add to their top-line midfield stocks in the exchange period and have already been strongly linked to Western Bulldogs linebreaker Bailey Smith.

But Oliver, 26, is also on the Cats’ radar in the event he becomes available despite a $1 million a year contract with six more years to run at Melbourne after this season.

Chris Scott’s men are on the hunt for a new star onballer to help improve the midfield brigade and keep the club in premiership contention after missing the finals last season.

Patrick Dangerfield turns 34 next month, Cameron Guthrie, 31, has been hit by another injury, while youngsters Max Holmes, Tanner Bruhn and Jhye Clark are still developing...

The club are in position to look at things differently than I would. Are they wheel Dealer type ..spotting a bargain from something thats broken or troublesome?

I doubt Melb let him go unless he fails yet again to stay within the parameters set yet perhaps they feel they can turn a situation like this around.

Obvious he can still play ..is he worth the huge contractual complication? Id probably pass but Mackie etc ...may well see things ina different light.

They weren’t wrong about the Dees though.

Without Oliver and Brayshaw their window is goners.

Their forward line is a shocker so maybe it’s already toast.

No wonder they were investigating the possibility to bad Harley Reid.
Yeah that forward line is a shambles but I still think they have a decent midfield and very good backline. Their second biggest list gap is in the coaching department

Depends how much he is drinking and gambling. And that 7 year deal is too risky.

His problems aren’t with drinking and gambling. It’s the other stuff that he likes too much of and won’t be stopping for anyone.

The club needs to ask why the Melbourne medical team have given up on him.

Would not touch with a ten foot pole.

Depends how much he is drinking and gambling. And that 7 year deal is too risky.
Baz is risky enough... Oliver a bridge too far for mine...

The talent is there but that $$ and 6 years is too much ball and chain.

And the off field minefield has too many boom spots for me.

I hope he proives me wrong in another teams jumper.

GO Catters

Don’t think you can ever have too many rucks. They also mustn’t of valued the other guys available at that pick. Good trade bait for when Harley decides he wants to come to the team he grew up supporting too 😂
Jokes aside I honestly think there's merit in that train of thought and wouldn't put it past Wells and Mackie.

Thoughts...

View attachment 1926129

Geelong is among the clubs keeping close tabs on Melbourne superstar Clayton Oliver in case the brilliant midfielder seeks a fresh start at season’s end.
The Cats are keen to add to their top-line midfield stocks in the exchange period and have already been strongly linked to Western Bulldogs linebreaker Bailey Smith.

But Oliver, 26, is also on the Cats’ radar in the event he becomes available despite a $1 million a year contract with six more years to run at Melbourne after this season.

Chris Scott’s men are on the hunt for a new star onballer to help improve the midfield brigade and keep the club in premiership contention after missing the finals last season.

Patrick Dangerfield turns 34 next month, Cameron Guthrie, 31, has been hit by another injury, while youngsters Max Holmes, Tanner Bruhn and Jhye Clark are still developing...

He got 30 touhces against the Swans, and did look out of shape... He is one of the best in the League when he is up and running. I think his career has peaked, but will it decline much and anytime soon... not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got 30 touhces against the Swans, and did look out of shape... He is one of the best in the League when he is up and running. I think his career has peaked, but will it decline much and anytime soon... not sure.
Is he anything like Ben Cousins, both football wise and outside footy?
Petracca was suggesting CO was really working hard and "like all of us, deserves forgiveness".

Think that Oliver would be too much of a risk, particularly with a young group of players. If he was seen to be the missing piece in a team with experienced players around him then I’d be more inclined to consider him. But Selwood has gone, Hawkins and Dangerfield may retire as early as the end of this season and Stewart not too far behind.

I don’t want a guy that has a history of illicit drug use around our emerging young group. To my mind the risk of it all going pear shaped overrides the potential benefit gained.

Is he anything like Ben Cousins, both football wise and outside footy?
Petracca was suggesting CO was really working hard and "like all of us, deserves forgiveness".
Yeah, I'm not a critic of his life... far from it. I just think most players north of 26-27 have reached their peak in their football game, that's all I was trying to say. And that's fine and all but will his football output decline much in the next few years, I'm not sure about. Personally I think he is a very good player. Was probably the best midfielder at one point, and for a while.

Thoughts...

View attachment 1926129

The contract is the issue. I'd be all for recruiting an A grade mid - it's clearly an area of need. But because he's already contracted for 6 years at a mil a season I'd be wary.

I think people need to consider that Clayton Oliver might want to give himself a new environment for the sake of his redempetion.

If that were the case, of course you'd want him.

I think people need to consider that Clayton Oliver might want to give himself a new environment for the sake of his redempetion.

If that were the case, of course you'd want him.
Never underestimate the power of a fresh start in a new environment.

I don't think anybody's naive enough to pretend every single player on our list is a cleanskin, but we certainly have a better environment both on and off the field than what Melbourne does.

If Smith's alleged trafficking to other Melbourne players is true, then it's no wonder someone like Clarry is in the position he's in; and it's highly unlikely he's the only one...he's just been the most public.

Never underestimate the power of a fresh start in a new environment.

I don't think anybody's naive enough to pretend every single player on our list is a cleanskin, but we certainly have a better environment both on and off the field than what Melbourne does.

If Smith's alleged trafficking to other Melbourne players is true, then it's no wonder someone like Clarry is in the position he's in; and it's highly unlikely he's the only one...he's just been the most public.

I wouldn't over estimate it either. It's up to the individual to want to change and you have to ask how motivated they are to do so before gambling on them.

Tyson Stengle comes to Geelong. A couple of teams might have been interested but not enough for a big contract. If he doesn't play his cards right he could be delisted again and career over. The conditions for high motivation exist and Tyson at no point is bigger than the club. Tyson gets in line with club standards and is a success story.

Clayton Oliver comes to Geelong. Most teams would have him. If it doesn't work with Scott he can ask for a trade somewhere else for his last 5 years. He still gets a million a year, is almost certainly still playing footy. No conditions for high motivation exist other than baseline desire to win football games, and if we fall in a hole we may need him more than he needs us. In effect, he can dictate terms on his behaviour.

It could absolutely work, but only if Clayton is traded as a liability not an asset. We need to be more important to him than he is to us or he should not be walking through that door.

So I half joked about trade cost, but it's important. Not only should he understand the circumstances of his trade make him a liability, but the club needs to be able to walk away having really only spent dollars not picks.

Contract rumour time...

CONTRACT POISED FOR CAT

GEELONG young gun Jhye Clark is set to be the next top-10 pick from the 2022 AFL Draft to ink a contract extension.

The 19-year-old is understood to be finalising a two-year deal on the eve of his second season, which will lock the Queenscliff product in at Kardinia Park until the end of 2026.

Clark endured a frustrating start to life in the AFL, managing only one appearance in 2023 after being selected at pick No.8.

But after recovering from the navicular stress reaction in his foot that wiped him out after his debut in round nine, Clark is poised to play plenty of senior football under Chris Scott this year, following a full pre-season and impressive form in the AAMI Community Series.

Fresh deal looms for Giant, Saint to hit trigger, Dons look to tie up mid

Contract rumour time...

CONTRACT POISED FOR CAT

GEELONG young gun Jhye Clark is set to be the next top-10 pick from the 2022 AFL Draft to ink a contract extension.

The 19-year-old is understood to be finalising a two-year deal on the eve of his second season, which will lock the Queenscliff product in at Kardinia Park until the end of 2026.

Clark endured a frustrating start to life in the AFL, managing only one appearance in 2023 after being selected at pick No.8.

But after recovering from the navicular stress reaction in his foot that wiped him out after his debut in round nine, Clark is poised to play plenty of senior football under Chris Scott this year, following a full pre-season and impressive form in the AAMI Community Series.

Fresh deal looms for Giant, Saint to hit trigger, Dons look to tie up mid
YES! Now Holmes!

Geelong has a 4-year deal on the table for Max Holmes.

Holmes is expected to command rival deals worth near $1 million per year for a minimum of 6 years, per 9 News Melbourne.

I just saw this on a random Instagram, no idea if it's legit or not as 4 years seems pretty low.

Could see it being a starting position, then if he has a very good year we bump it to 5 years and up the amount too.

Still haven't heard anything from any AFL journos to that effect though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back