Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if his decision is based on capturing that elusive flag, and how close we are to delivering that. Another poor year and he might decide there is no hope of a flag in his career at Geelong. If we are flag winners or close, he may think it's worth staying.

No hope of a flag in his career at geelong ? I presume you are thinking the next 5 years more than 10 ..cause thats a future thats far to far away. My bet there would not be many kids drafted to any club that would think that. Would Reid think that at West Coast. I doubt it , but I hope he does..it might give us a wedge.

Even 5 years ..is a long time these days. In that time ..we will lose several big names but who knows who we bring in...already this year we have been linked to multiple big dollar players. Unless a significant change in attitude occurs .. Geelong will continue to maintain an emphasis on being in contention continually will trying to rebuild and refurbish their side

No hope of a flag in his career at geelong ? I presume you are thinking the next 5 years more than 10 ..cause thats a future thats far to far away. My bet there would not be many kids drafted to any club that would think that. Would Reid think that at West Coast. I doubt it , but I hope he does..it might give us a wedge.

Even 5 years ..is a long time these days. In that time ..we will lose several big names but who knows who we bring in...already this year we have been linked to multiple big dollar players. Unless a significant change in attitude occurs .. Geelong will continue to maintain an emphasis on being in contention continually will trying to rebuild and refurbish their side

You could very end up being like Buckley - moved to a supposedly stronger club only to see the one he left go on and 3 peat.

I’m hoping that Max is wiser than that. That most importantly he’s established some great relationships with his teammates at Geelong and consequently wants to stay assuming the contract itself is appropriate and appealing. If he’s just out to grab as much money as he can then he won’t be playing at Geelong but I doubt that’s the case.

There's no guarantees of a flag at any club though - one just needs to look at GC & GWS with how they were apparently going to be the dominant teams for a decade after entering the league due to the talent they had at their disposal

And if a player is willing to club hop to look for that elusive flag, is that really the type of player you'd want at your club, versus the player wanting to put their head down & play their part in bringing success to their current club?

I have no problem with players choosing their own destiny. Especially those that landed at locations they neither chose or really want to persist with after a significant amount of time given. But for evey Tom Lynch or May or Lake there are probably guys like Deludio that pull the wrong lever.

There a saying relevant to investment that past performance is not a guarantee of future perfromance. While true ..it is indicative. The mangers the staff the concepts the principles etc... . Say what you like but success seems to follow someone like Brian Cook for example. Having the best jockey can not make the horse run quicker but he can ensure that ist given the best chance.

I would say that till Stk and Gold Coast and to slightly less degree GWS crush it in the finals , perhaps win a flag and change their story like we did in 07 .. an outsider FA would look at clubs like Geelong as one where success is routinely pursued and to some degree built upon. While nothing last for ever and if we fell away for years and years our rep would change , a dip for a year or two would not change that imo. For the forseebable future we still have a chance to bring in FA players and also give draftees a high chance of become the best versions of themselves, and at worst building a base that would make them appealing to other clubs ..as demonstrated by so many of our fringe player landing elsewhere.

So one can see the logic ...Geelong brings in a Bailey Smith or whoever this year , targets someone else next year etc... and no players gets the chance to think ... Im out here...this clubs is done for the next 5 to 10 years.

You could very end up being like Buckley - moved to a supposedly stronger club only to see the one he left go on and 3 peat.

I’m hoping that Max is wiser than that. That most importantly he’s established some great relationships with his teammates at Geelong and consequently wants to stay assuming the contract itself is appropriate and appealing. If he’s just out to grab as much money as he can then he won’t be playing at Geelong but I doubt that’s the case.

Buckley is one good example. Probably a unique one these days..Moving so early. Perhaps if North are successful before Port it might draw comparisons with a player recently departed.

Posted this in the game day thread, but we are rebuilding by stealth. From the premiership team from 18 months ago we have added 5 first rounders - Holmes, Bruin, OHenry, Clark and O’Sullivan, of which 4 will play this week. And that’s not including Bowes or our other draftees like Mulin, Neal, Dempsey, Knevitt, Conway.

And the price for those first rounders? Two late first rounders (Holmes, Bruin), a 3 round pick (Clarke and Bowes), some picks in the 30s and 40s (OHenry) and pick 11 for O’Sullivan (with Mannagh as potentially handy steak knives).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see on Gettable Henry mentioned as FA . Id hope that his links to Geelong make it hard to move him. There would be a couple of clubs that would pay be dollars for a player like him that they could get as a FA.

If we were to target Free Agents this year ... would Andrew McGrath be one we should look at? Seems to have under achieved at Ess yet as a kid ..his game style should be exactly the type of players that works well now.

I see on Gettable Henry mentioned as FA . Id hope that his links to Geelong make it hard to move him. There would be a couple of clubs that would pay be dollars for a player like him that they could get as a FA.

If we were to target Free Agents this year ... would Andrew McGrath be one we should look at? Seems to have under achieved at Ess yet as a kid ..his game style should be exactly the type of players that works well now.
Exactly zero chance of young Jack leaving

The Henry boys have bled blue & white since they were kids, we'd have to kick them out the door for them to leave.

Exactly zero chance of young Jack leaving

The Henry boys have bled blue & white since they were kids, we'd have to kick them out the door for them to leave.

As long as Geelong do not treat his contract in that light then I agree.

My point was really there would be multiple clubs with cap room , that have spent up big on mids either thru draft or trade that would have money to throw at a player like Jack. Then Jack might also have a back of mind concern..just how long has my body to go? Only 26 but plenty find the end in their late 20's. The last two years have seen him play 17 and 11.

I think as long as our offer is respectful and in the ball park then he stays but Id say every single long term player will reach a time when then can see a post footy life coming and they have to ensure the $$$ for the future.

How much discount is fair to expect him to swallow to stay ? I feel if we offer him a significant contract length at good dollars... ensuring his finical future security then I see no reason why he would consider go anywhere.

McGrath is an OK player but not worth the large amount of money required to pry him out of Essendon.

I don’t see Holmes leaving for the reason of “being closer to a flag”.

I think it’ll be partly “go home” factor if he leaves.

If he is half keen to get back closer to his family in Melbourne and a St Kilda, Hawks or whoever is closer offered him overs…him leaving for that would be more understandable to me than him just looking to leave to go to a club that is potentially closer to a flag.

I do think his manager is just probably going to milk us and unless he wants to get back to Melb… I see no reason why he wouldn’t stay.

We will absolutely end up paying him well, we are a great club, we have our own great ground, he looks to have very good friends here, he is going to be a leader of our next gen.

Unless he hates it here or just wants to go home… surely he stays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this in the game day thread, but we are rebuilding by stealth. From the premiership team from 18 months ago we have added 5 first rounders - Holmes, Bruin, OHenry, Clark and O’Sullivan, of which 4 will play this week. And that’s not including Bowes or our other draftees like Mulin, Neal, Dempsey, Knevitt, Conway.

And the price for those first rounders? Two late first rounders (Holmes, Bruin), a 3 round pick (Clarke and Bowes), some picks in the 30s and 40s (OHenry) and pick 11 for O’Sullivan (with Mannagh as potentially handy steak knives).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geelong has always taken this approach. Ever since Selwood and Hawkins were added to the core group from the 1999-2001 drafts.

The only thing remarkable is that people keep getting surprised that Geelong’s inevitable failure fails to materialise. And it’s because they overlook the ongoing rebuild.

If we trade Bailey in I hope Messi hangs some s* on him over this

Most watching that grand final will remember that game for Geelong Falcons forward — turned Geelong Cats draftee — Gryan Miers’ mercurial, heroic, match-winning goal haul. Almost none will remember who played on him — a (previously) confident 16-year-old Sandringham Dragons small defender in Smith.

Yes he finished with a team-high 25 disposals. But when your team loses a grand final by two points and the best player on the ground kicks five of his seven goals on you, you can understand why Smith still holds guilt. It still hurts him to even think about that night to this day.

“I would really like to have that battle again,” Smith said. “But you have to move on.”

If we trade Bailey in I hope Messi hangs some s* on him over this

Most watching that grand final will remember that game for Geelong Falcons forward — turned Geelong Cats draftee — Gryan Miers’ mercurial, heroic, match-winning goal haul. Almost none will remember who played on him — a (previously) confident 16-year-old Sandringham Dragons small defender in Smith.

Yes he finished with a team-high 25 disposals. But when your team loses a grand final by two points and the best player on the ground kicks five of his seven goals on you, you can understand why Smith still holds guilt. It still hurts him to even think about that night to this day.

“I would really like to have that battle again,” Smith said. “But you have to move on.”

I know they play different positions and different styles, but the inital gap in perceived value draft-wise has closed right up in the past year or two. Gryan's come on in leaps and bounds after building slowly but steadily (2023 was a genuine break-out year for mine), while Bailey has kind of plateaued after a fast start.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the ultimate retention weapon - girlfriend who is a died in the wool Geelong or Surf Coast local with close family ties that she would not move away from.

I know they play different positions and different styles, but the inital gap in perceived value draft-wise has closed right up in the past year or two. Gryan's come on in leaps and bounds after building slowly but steadily (2023 was a genuine break-out year for mine), while Bailey has kind of plateaued after a fast start.
I think Smith has gone backwards and an ACL puts him further back again.

Even for you, this is next level pessimism. He's going into his 4th year FFS.
Pessimism my derriere. This is exactly what has been suggested to me by fellow suppporters of both Geelong and elsewhere.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the ultimate retention weapon - girlfriend who is a died in the wool Geelong or Surf Coast local with close family ties that she would not move away from.

THIS! Big Time! Moving away from his potential wife as a young fella with her constantly in his ear would be an interesting move from Max.
Especially since he seems really level headed and isn't up himself at all.

Plenty of guys haven't left to go to the club they have supported as a kid but PLENTY of guys have moved for family and/or the misso being in their ear. Tim Kelly being a classic example. She wanted support for her two children with disabilities and knew she'd get that back home in WA, can't blame the Kelly's at all for going.

If Cats are paying him and he has a big role, there would be no reason for him to move and get pushed down the pecking order at the Pies. He's about to be handed the keys by Danger and the like...if he wants to be a star, he can be that at Geelong.

Pessimism my derriere. This is exactly what has been suggested to me by fellow suppporters of both Geelong and elsewhere.
"Capturing that elusive flag" - That kind of language is for players like Nathan Jones, Lachie Neale, or until recently, Danger.

Champions who have toiled through season after season, where it looks like it just might not be in the cards for them at their current club as they approach the end.

Not a kid who's going into his 4th season, who's gone...

• 2021: Preliminary final
  • 2022: Premiership/DNP
  • 2023: Missed finals
  • 2024: N/A

He's got 10 years ahead of him, closer to 15 if he takes care of his body...but if you want to project who's in the premiership window over the next 10-15 years then be my guest.

I'd guess that the club with the best culture, the best coach, a growing list of budding stars, and the ability to attract talent would be at least a chance to win a flag in that timeframe, but maybe I'm being unreasonable..

Even if we where to play your game and act like we're miles off it, then let's look at this.

- 2016: Western Bulldogs - A fairytale from seemingly nowhere.

- 2017: Richmond - Predicted to be nowhere near it, and entering another rebuild.

- 2018: West Coast - A little bit closer, but still an unlikely premier that was predicted for the wooden spoon in some circles.

- 2021: Melbourne - A club with a coach under the hot seat, that most believed had botched a once promising rebuild.

- 2022: Geelong - Too Old, Too Slow, Too Good...we know the story.

- 2023 - Collingwood - A club that 18 months prior had sacked their coach, hired a then no-name replacement, and was told to gut the list and rebuild if they wanted a flag sometime soon. The rest is history.

I get that that you're the negative type, and if your way of coping is looking at everything related to this great club through a miserable lense, then that's your life.

But on a public forum, you can understand it's a drain when we can always count on you to deliver the worst case scenario.

"Capturing that elusive flag" - That kind of language is for players like Nathan Jones, Lachie Neale, or until recently, Danger.

Champions who have toiled through season after season, where it looks like it just might not be in the cards for them at their current club as they approach the end.

Not a kid who's going into his 4th season, who's gone...

• 2021: Preliminary final
  • 2022: Premiership/DNP
  • 2023: Missed finals
  • 2024: N/A

He's got 10 years ahead of him, closer to 15 if he takes care of his body...but if you want to project who's in the premiership window over the next 10-15 years then be my guest.

I'd guess that the club with the best culture, the best coach, a growing list of budding stars, and the ability to attract talent would be at least a chance to win a flag in that timeframe, but maybe I'm being unreasonable..

Even if we where to play your game and act like we're miles off it, then let's look at this.

- 2016: Western Bulldogs - A fairytale from seemingly nowhere.

- 2017: Richmond - Predicted to be nowhere near it, and entering another rebuild.

- 2018: West Coast - A little bit closer, but still an unlikely premier that was predicted for the wooden spoon in some circles.

- 2021: Melbourne - A club with a coach under the hot seat, that most believed had botched a once promising rebuild.

- 2022: Geelong - Too Old, Too Slow, Too Good...we know the story.

- 2023 - Collingwood - A club that 18 months prior had sacked their coach, hired a then no-name replacement, and was told to gut the list and rebuild if they wanted a flag sometime soon. The rest is history.

I get that that you're the negative type, and if your way of coping is looking at everything related to this great club through a miserable lense, then that's your life.

But on a public forum, you can understand it's a drain when we can always count on you to deliver the worst case scenario.
I offered both scenarios btw, so get off your high horse. I relayed what has been expressed to me. If questions can't be asked without being labelled as negative or pessimistic, so be it. We all hope he stays, but both scenarios that were raised by me (ie top 4, bottom 6)are possible at this stage. And Holmes is a very desirable player by any team in the comp. We will be rapt to secure him for a longer term deal, and if you don't believe it has any relationship to how we go and premiership windows, just say so- I don't need your pseudo-dissertation.

Elusive clearly for Holmes, and any player really.

Being s**t is never the right development environment for young players though.

I remember early in Bomber's time when we were very young and not very good we often played really ugly footy where we overloaded the midfield. They turned into low scoring dour affairs. We were always a much better defensive side than attacking.

I reckon at least part of that was to keep us in games longer so we still played high intensity games even when we got beaten. Getting done 60-40 is likely better for your development than getting done 120-80 when the games over a fair way out.

Clubs don't always get a choice to not being s**t. Building from defence is an example of what I'm taking about. Getting that part right can act as a springboard for latter success. Club knows that it can't go head to head and win, so the coach focuses on building up a portion of the future gameplan. Players mature and grow up around the gameplan. You bring in extra talent with the picks and cap space have and you sling shot out the other side.

Clubs go in circles when they can't decide what direction to move in and make moves that contradict each other. Trading in value for mature players when they are going for youth build or not settling on a core and refreshing it with youth preventing development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back