Goalkicking questions for Marstermind and masterminds

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't get the stats from AFL.com (there's a shock!) but it looks like David Hale is leading our goalkicking award this year, with about 20, yes ****ing 20 goals.:mad::eek:

This prompts me to ask:

Has our goalkicking award got a name, e.g. the John Dugdale Medal?

Is Hale leading this year's with 20?:eek:

Who is "hot on his heels"?:eek:

Has it ever been won with fewer than 20 goals?:eek:

If not, what was the previous lowest winning total and when?

Should it be not awarded when nobody can kick at least say 1.5 goals per game?:eek:

Should Hale be promoted so he can add to his tally?

Will we have someone, anyone, who can do better than this next year? Please say 'yes' and humour me.

1972 winners - Vin Doolan and Sam Kekovich both with 19 goals and 1937 Stewart Anderson 18 goals are the only times this award was ever won with less than 20 goals. Hale is on the next lowest total if he kicks no more goals for the remaining games.

22 goals would have finished 9th on the tally in 1996 behind Carey (82), Sholl (35), McKernan (33), Roberts (25), Archer (24), Allison (23), Bell (23) and Rock (23).

Would have got 9th in 1999 also behind Carey (76), Abraham (37), Grant (37), McKernan (34), Bell (32), Sholl (30), Harvey (24) and Welsh (24).

It isn't as if we have been the most high scoring side this year

The point is that its laughable that a) hale is leading goal kicker while playing like rubbish, and b) the leading goal scorer has only kicked 22.

Thanks, guys. It's sad to me that an average to good footballer like Jack Anthony is a better goal kicking forward than anyone we've got to offer.

We must have someone down there next year who simply won't throw in the towel, no matter how bad things are.

Thanks, guys. It's sad to me that an average to good footballer like Jack Anthony is a better goal kicking forward than anyone we've got to offer.

We must have someone down there next year who simply won't throw in the towel, no matter how bad things are.
Well I've been scratching my head for quite a while on this one and unfortunately all I've got so far is the remnants of my fast diminishing hair.

At the beginning of the year after the efforts of Josh Smith in the VFL GF last year, I thought we had a real prospect, but sadly it hasn't happened. :mad:

I don't think there is any award for club leading goalkicker other than getting your name in the record books forever and eternity. As a result it doesn't matter if you kick 150 goals or 15 - the leader wins it.

I doubt David Hale will get the chance to add to his 22, Leigh Harding almost certainly won't and there is no way Swallow will kick 7 goals in the last 2 games to get ahead of Hale. So I guess it comes down to can Lindsay Thomas get 2 more goals or Drew Petrie another 3? Whatever the case, Hale was thrown to the wolves this year and turned out to be rubbish (He kicked 5 against Freo, 4 against Essendon and 13 in the other 14 he played as a key forward), Thomas took several steps back in 2009 and Petrie has been a lot better than this. Whoever wins it, wins it by default.

That Aaron Edwards couldn't hold down a spot in such a defunctional forward set up is embarrassing for him.

That Aaron Edwards couldn't hold down a spot in such a defunctional forward set up is embarrassing for him.

yet in terms of goals per game he is winning our goal kicking and has looked like our best forward by a mile

maybe it is more embarassing for the selection panel

yet in terms of goals per game he is winning our goal kicking and has looked like our best forward by a mile

Yep, and maybe it's personal!

Looks like Crockers doesn't like the guy and I don't think that is very fair.:thumbsdown:

yea looks he doesnt like 'the stuff' either :thumbsdown:
would have been nice to see him play a couple more games :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yea looks he doesnt like 'the stuff' either :thumbsdown:
would have been nice to see him play a couple more games :thumbsdown:

Not playing 'The Stuff' reeks of Crockers making selections to take over as full time coach rather than generating excitement by playing the future of the NMFC for its supporters to see. :thumbsdown:

Well I've been scratching my head for quite a while on this one and unfortunately all I've got so far is the remnants of my fast diminishing hair.

At the beginning of the year after the efforts of Josh Smith in the VFL GF last year, I thought we had a real prospect, but sadly it hasn't happened. :mad:

Yes, no matter how many 'best' sides I pick for round 1 next year, there is nobody at full forward.

The job would have gone to Josh Smith but he doesn't look fit to my untrained eye.:mad:

My solution: O'Keefe.:confused:

I have never seen him play and he is playing for Werribee reserves. He does, however, play forward and he's tall. He's also got the ability to stand up in a light breeze, so he's ahead of his nearest rival.

He ticks all the boxes moving forward as we management types like to say.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back