Gold Coast's "20-ONE-3" plan

Remove this Banner Ad

So, they would have to win it next year??
Could happen, though you would think they'd need to play finals at least this year.
The hardest thing is to predict the rate of improvement for the Suns. If we look at their win-loss record at this time of the year in each of the seasons they've played then we get a bit of an idea of their rate of improvement to date:

Gold Coast's record after 16 games
2011: 2-14
2012: 1-15
2013: 6-10
2014: 9-7

Considering they are currently three wins behind the top 4, logic would dictate they would be pushing for a top 4 spot this time next year, based on previous seasons and the overall age of their players. One issue they face here is that they don't have a good history of winning games in the last six matches of the season. 2011 - 1 win after 16 games, 2012 - 2 wins after 16 games, 2013 - 2 wins after 16 games. So I guess if the trend continues they should get 3 more wins for the season. That would take them to 12 wins for the season which may or may not just scrape them into the finals.

So what about the membership aspiration side of this project? Could the Suns actually get 20,000 members next year? They currently have 13,456 members.

Port have shown how quickly a team can jump up the ladder. Also if we miss the 8 this year, no drama. Since the top 8 commenced in 1994, with the exception of 2009, 2010, 2013 and probably 2014, a team from outside the top 8 the previous year has jumped to make the top 4. Whether the Suns make the 8 or not we can be that riser next year.

will be a contender next year, albeit probably a rung below the very top teams. 2016 is looking more promising though.

Question has to be asked though whether they have the right coach - he has done a pretty good job getting the team to where it is, but I you get the feeling that it will be the talent of the playing group that gets the ultimate success with McKenna riding on the coat-tails.

Can't see a premiership myself with this current list in the next 3 or 4 years, maybe when O'Meara, Prestia etc get into their late 20s?

Port have shown how quickly a team can jump up the ladder. Also if we miss the 8 this year, no drama. Since the top 8 commenced in 1994, with the exception of 2009, 2010, 2013 and probably 2014, a team from outside the top 8 the previous year has jumped to make the top 4. Whether the Suns make the 8 or not we can be that riser next year.
So in other words, most of recent memory? Fair to say that trend has died out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think now? Can it be done?

Not a chance. Maybe the members. They're on about 15k now, aren't they? Still, they won't win a premiership next year.

Question has to be asked though whether they have the right coach - he has done a pretty good job getting the team to where it is, but I you get the feeling that it will be the talent of the playing group that gets the ultimate success with McKenna riding on the coat-tails.
I don't think he's any good to be honest. They only started winning games when Blight showed up in the backroom. Seems a little too content to get it done on talent alone.

History suggests you have to win a final before you win a flag, so might be a while off yet.

I'm going to lock us in for a top 6 finish next season, and perhaps a grand final in 2018. Heavily dependent on injuries though, because as we've displayed this year, without our 'best' side, the remaining players simply give up. I think we need somebody behind the scenes to coach our blokes psychologically.

Why is a flag unrealistic?

IMO they have the best emerging midfield in the league by some margin. Ablett will still be sensational.

By 2017 guys like swallow/bennell will be 24 and in their prime.

All they really need is a another key back and their list is well balanced.
The thread is 2 years old. They'd have to win it next year to achieve it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back