Review Good, Bad and Ugly vs NM (Preseason Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is CEY getting so much hate, he had a good game second most clearances on the field and kicked a goal

Agreed. I am surprised at how people here want to gloss over the last quarter. I see some people even suggesting that they knew what the coach said at 3 qtr time. What a load of crap.

Yes it was a NAB game, Yes we experimented (and so we should), we don't want to read too much into the game. I understand that, but we should never have rolled over like that in the last qtr especially if we are a "new team". I wouldn't have minded us simply losing the last qrt but not like we did. We kicked 1 point. Lets not gloss over it so easily.

I agree. I mentioned I thought we we're pathetic in that last quarter in the game day thread and had more than one person tell me to calm down. It's sort of annoying because I wasn't even particularly angry at the time . If you can't call it how you see it what's the point of even having a message board? Some people are hyper sensitive to anyone saying anything negative about the Crows.

I'm keeping things in perspective though. We got 50 points up so there's plenty to like about the game. We just need to work on giving a full 4 quarter effort.

PS. I don't care if we played a bunch of kids in that last quarter either. Making excuses is loser mentality and we should be trying to move away from that.

Why is CEY getting so much hate, he had a good game second most clearances on the field and kicked a goal

Few times his poor disposal resulted in direct goals to North Melbourne in the first half.

Missed Eddie from 15 metres away un-contested.

Pretty much as everyone is saying, great athleticism, can find the pill, but his disposal is well below AFL standard at this point. Minimising turnovers will be key this year. See last year for details.

If you can't call it how you see it what's the point of even having a message board? Some people are hyper sensitive to anyone saying anything negative about the Crows..

A serious issue on this board. Say anything remotely negative and you will get called a pessimist. You can love your team whilst still being critical of performance.

If lynch gets a injury free year he will be huge for us, he has the potential to be AA
Perhaps he should be pumped up to keep him nice and tight. Would make it harder for him to bend! And keep him more upright.

I agree. I mentioned I thought we we're pathetic in that last quarter in the game day thread and had more than one person tell me to calm down. It's sort of annoying because I wasn't even particularly angry at the time . If you can't call it how you see it what's the point of even having a message board? Some people are hyper sensitive to anyone saying anything negative about the Crows.

I'm keeping things in perspective though. We got 50 points up so there's plenty to like about the game. We just need to work on giving a full 4 quarter effort.

PS. I don't care if we played a bunch of kids in that last quarter either. Making excuses is loser mentality and we should be trying to move away from that.
I don't think anyone would disagree with what you're saying and Walsh himself said that he wasn't happy with the last quarter effort. However it was clear that we changed tactics and rested key players for the last quarter which, in combination with a breeze and a strong Kangaroos midfield, resulted in North dominating the quarter. If this was season proper and we had our A grade team out there having a 50 point lead whittled down to 10 then a single word post of "pathetic" would be fine and you'd probably have a lot of supporters.

EDIT: I think everyone was disappointed in the capitulation but were more measured in their reaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few times his poor disposal resulted in direct goals to North Melbourne in the first half.

Missed Eddie from 15 metres away un-contested.

Pretty much as everyone is saying, great athleticism, can find the pill, but his disposal is well below AFL standard at this point. Minimising turnovers will be key this year. See last year for details.
The Betts howler sums him up. CEY actually kicks pretty well going long. He's gathered the ball and is metres in the clear on or just inside the 50m line. Just kick the goal son!!

Instead there is no awareness, no confidence in decision making so as to apply it to his strength. What he then does is play to his weakness and look for a silly short option which he makes a mess of.

That was CEY right there.

Do you think we intended to nearly give up a 50 point lead?
Would have been a perfect scenario for Walsh to practice some defensive moves in this situation.
He despite his many seasons is still a rookie. He needs to get this part of our game under control. No point waiting until round 1 to start practising damage control.
Perhaps a missed oppurtunity.

I only saw the last half, so the last quarter weighs more heavily on me. What you say may be true, but it doesn't excuse the dithering in the backline in that quarter. I got a little weary of seeing Crows players with secure possession near full back looking one way, then the other, then back again, and then miskicking or kicking to the opposition. Even less excusable was the kicking across the ground in defence when against the wind! The decision making on disposal looked very bad and the execution wasn't much better.

On the bright side, our overall effort and tackling looked great, but North seemed much cleaner in their play with the ball.

You clearly have not closely observed our style of defensive play for the last couple of years.

Given some of our deplorable exits from defence in recent years I thought it was rather speedy and effective!

A serious issue on this board. Say anything remotely negative and you will get called a pessimist. You can love your team whilst still being critical of performance.

Perhaps for a small minority. What we are saying about this game is that would we want to give up a 50 point lead, no, how much does it matter this early in the pre-season, not much. Criticisim is fine but keep it in perspective. Everything in moderation, including moderation :)

Can anyone tell me the make up of our back 6 for the majority of the game - and perhaps who else had a run there?
I wasn't able to watch the match

Talia, Hartigan, Henderson, Laird, Brown, Jaensch, Wigg, Kelly, Siggins, VB at stages

EDIT: Oh and Pods

Looking at the game from a round 1 perspective, and setting apart automatic selections, I thought the following;

VB - did enough to suggest he is a R1 starter. Worked really well in a 3 way set up with Crouch/Lyons to provide some nice run out of the middle.

Lyons - also a R1 starter. What was that about right people in right seats. Lyons played permanently in the square and worked beautifully with B Crouch, sticking to what he is good at, getting hands on ball.

Kerridge/Grigg - a step below and IMO neither put selection beyond doubt. Both had some very nice moments but they tended to flash in and out a bit. Kerro the more likely of the 2

Tom Lynch - his obsession with ducking is going to cost him badly one of these days with injury. From a selection perspective this guy can't afford to be blowing chances to perform. He looks good when on, but, needs to start showing he can last more then a quarter.

Cameron - I think R1 starter. Didn't do too much but what he did do was all class. If he can work on picking up 10-15 touches and half a doz tackles he will do his job. His work with Betts was excellent.

Hartigan - got beaten one out just the once, so had a pretty good game. Tracking for a R1 spot.

Henderson - bit like Grigg/Kerro - showed some decent signs but could have done more IMO - noting of course he was subbed. Likely R1 starter.

CEY - no

Laird - had some good moments for sure and his courage is outstanding, but just don't think he's quite in our R1 side

Jaensch - looked good when on IMO, gave some trademark run and will start R1

Wright - bright start but faded and I expect he will drop down to depth this year.

Martin - again some nice moments but nothing to put selection beyond doubt.

Overall I was a bit disappointed that only VB, Lyons and perhaps Cameron really stamped their R1 papers. Whilst a few I've mentioned will be around the mark, I would have liked to have seen some greater impact

Kerridge/Grigg - a step below and IMO neither put selection beyond doubt. Both had some very nice moments but they tended to flash in and out a bit. Kerro the more likely of the 2

Only saw the 1st and 2nd quarters in bits and pieces as my feed kept cutting in and out. I ended up getting so got frustrated and gave up watching the next 2nd half (hence my very short good, bad & ugly).

Kerridge looked lively early with that great mark and goal. Saw he ended up with 8 touches, but was still listed in our best players. Did he play the cooler role for the 2nd half?

Also really liked what I saw from Grigg. That left boot is lethal.

Think both will be in the side RD 1 vs the Kangas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back