Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2002
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Not often I have something good to say about Vlad but it is good to see him looking after the fans by freezing the price of tickets. Pity that McGuire wants to increase his!

THE global financial crisis has prompted the AFL to freeze ticket prices for the 2009 season. An adult general admission ticket will remain $19, while a family ticket stays at $38.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the decision came after record-breaking attendances in 2008, plus the financial pressures faced by families.

“Historically, we have increased our general admission prices by CPI but we decided not to do that for 2009 in part as a way of saying thank you to the supporters of our clubs and the game for the role they played in making this year such an outstanding success," Demetriou said.

"There are also likely to be many challenges for families in the coming year and we want to ensure that AFL football remains affordabl
“The mass attendances enjoyed by our clubs are a major point of difference between our competition and other sports in Australia and they will continue to be our highest priority,” Demetriou said.

Demetriou said the 2008 year had been a resounding success, with total attendances for the premiership season reaching 7,083,015, eclipsing the previous all-time record of 7,049,945 that was established for the 2007 season.

This was matched by record numbers in both registered AFL participants and official club members of the 16 AFL clubs.

"Our fans across the country have supported the game in record numbers in 2008, in attending AFL matches, in watching games, in making the financial commitment to support an AFL club and in their desire to get out onto the ground and play the game," Mr Demetriou said.

"We are extremely grateful for the success that our supporters have made of the 150th year of Australia's only truly indigenous game, and it's important that we say thank you to our supporters in 2009."

The prices for 2009 are as follows:

Adult Concession Junior Family
General Admission (GA) $19.00 $11.50 $2.20 $38.00

11 Home Game
Membership Ticket $131.00 $79.00 $16.00 $254.00

you say McGuire wants to increase his?

My 18 game membership has gone up $5. I don't really care about the Cheer squad prices.., grown men and women acting (well not acting) like bogans behind the goals?? We can all do better than that. Not saying get rid of them entirely, but get the kids involved.

Should be that he's frozen the price of tickets in Victoria.

Meanwhile, many Victorian clubs continue to be massive beneficiaries of the CBF and continue to complain that they don't make enough money from their 'stadium deals'.

I fail to see how that's good news.

Meanwhile, many Victorian clubs continue to be massive beneficiaries of the CBF and continue to complain that they don't make enough money from their 'stadium deals'.

Fail.

Clubs complain that because of their s**t stadium deals, they have to accept the CBF to stay afloat, and then cop crap for accepting the CBF.

Fix up the stadium deals, and shove your CBF back up your arse. Nobody is asking for both.

Fail.

Clubs complain that because of their s**t stadium deals, they have to accept the CBF to stay afloat, and then cop crap for accepting the CBF.

Fix up the stadium deals, and shove your CBF back up your arse. Nobody is asking for both.

You don't think the money you make from your 'stadium deals' has a lot to do with the bargain basement prices charged to enter the stadium? Double your revenue and no-one's going to whine about your stadium deal because you'll make money.

If Mazda charge $5k for their new cars and make a loss, you think it's due to the cost of plant or the rental of their dealerships?

You don't think the money you make from your 'stadium deals' has a lot to do with the bargain basement prices charged to enter the stadium? Double your revenue and no-one's going to whine about your stadium deal because you'll make money.

If Mazda charge $5k for their new cars and make a loss, you think it's due to the cost of plant or the rental of their dealerships?

That's fair enough in the west Rob, but it dosen't work like that over here.

Double ticket prices and revenue, at best, will stay stagnant. Although Collo will lose half his clients for him to flog overpriced food at them, so he would have to make up that shortfall somewhere. Like by increasing the rent, for instance.

Subi can afford to charge x amount, because the demand for tickets always outstrips supply in that market. You can't charge that same amount for a seat at the Dome, because in almost every case the opposite is true.

That's fair enough in the west Rob, but it dosen't work like that over here.

Double ticket prices and revenue, at best, will stay stagnant. Although Collo will lose half his clients for him to flog overpriced food at them, so he would have to make up that shortfall somewhere. Like by increasing the rent, for instance.

Subi can afford to charge x amount, because the demand for tickets always outstrips supply in that market. You can't charge that same amount for a seat at the Dome, because in almost every case the opposite is true.

So the problem is not enough demand.

Thank you. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is not enough demand relative to the capacity of the venue.

Yes and no. Telstra Dome isn't a massive stadium by any means, and in any case Optus Oval was rarely sold out when it was around, even for Carlton games (and Carlton are financially better off leaving it). A smaller capacity doesn't seem to generate more demand in Melbourne.

But my point was that clubs whine about poor stadium deals and pointing to the great returns achieved by clubs outside Victoria (and Geelong), while charging the lowest prices in the league. I'm suggesting that the problem might not be costs, but revenue. You're not going to make money when you're getting peanuts from the people showing up. West Coast, for example (as they were mentioned in an article as having the best stadium net return) would make millions a year less if they were charging under $20 for the bulk of seats at Subi. Would you then accept that it would be fair for them to get CBF money? Bollocks.

Would you still pay an inflated price for your reserved seat each year if Subi could hold 100k and it was only half full each week?

If that's what's being charged - absolutely. Particularly if the stadium was the same quality as the MCG or the Dome.
You should be stunned that people are paying more to attend a shithole like Subiaco.

Yes and no. Telstra Dome isn't a massive stadium by any means, and in any case Optus Oval was rarely sold out when it was around, even for Carlton games (and Carlton are financially better off leaving it). A smaller capacity doesn't seem to generate more demand in Melbourne.

But my point was that clubs whine about poor stadium deals and pointing to the great returns achieved by clubs outside Victoria (and Geelong), while charging the lowest prices in the league. I'm suggesting that the problem might not be costs, but revenue. You're not going to make money when you're getting peanuts from the people showing up. West Coast, for example (as they were mentioned in an article as having the best stadium net return) would make millions a year less if they were charging under $20 for the bulk of seats at Subi. Would you then accept that it would be fair for them to get CBF money? Bollocks.

Sounds like a good deal to me Rob. I'd be happy to pay half as much for my Freo membership and have the club get a few handouts from the AFL. Might send an email suggesting it to Steve Rosich now :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back