Autopsy Good win against Tricky opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Still feels like in the grand scheme of things we are papering over the cracks with how we are playing.

However that second half cant go unnoticed. The self belief has been building in the playing group the past few weeks. When a game has gone against the grain, we have started to wrestle back momentum a lot better, just like today.

Our stoppage work really lifted, defended really well when the ball went into our d50, and we are really making teams pay as of late. Really efficient again going inside 50 our forward line is humming. I agree that warner had an off day, but the thing that cant go unnoticed was just his appetite for the footy and pushed through well with some nice goals. Rowbottom flew the flag in the third term, brilliant game. Lloyd and Blakey were great down back and McClean is finding form.

Really proud on how we turned it around in the second half. We were 15th a few weeks ago and now 6th, lets enjoy the win.
Defence put their big boy pants on in the 2nd half. Some great work down back.

We got beaten in just about everything in the first quarter but turned it around in the second and put our foot down in the third.

Warner made some weird mistakes early but was mostly fabulous, Heeney was huge early, Hayward played his best game for a long time, Papley, Blakelhy, Rowbotham also big contributors.

Passed 100 points again, 10 goalkickers. Life after Buddy is pretty good.

Hayward and Rowbottom were monumental. Played their best games of the season, maybe the best of Hayward's career.

McLean has become incredibly important. Like Reid last year, but not quite as good - in fairness, I still think Reid was arguably AA-squad standard last year given his role. I really don't know what we do with him. I think he's our best key forward, but he also looks like our best ruck at the moment.

Blakey, Papley, Lloyd, Cunningham all really good. Warner and Gulden managed to have an impact despite slow starts.

Francis and Wicks were good and did their jobs. The former is really good depth, and the latter is best 22.

Didn't get much from our key forwards early, but still put a good score on the board. With the 3 key forwards we had out there today, we've scored 100+ 5/7 times this year, at an overall average of 117. Yes, they have played against some s**t teams and it's skewed by the West Coast game, but it's still a very good sign. Excluding the West Coast game, the average score is still over 100.

Parker and Mills are surely playing hurt. Hard to remember them having such a prolonged stretch of being so ineffectual as that last months.

Stephens had some very bad moments, but also some very good moments. Still hope he re-signs.

The negative would be if the suns nailed their gettable shots in the last early we may be having a different discussion

Thats a lot of what if remember 1 goal and the ball goes back to the middle do they win the clearance again?

But say you're right then they would of deserved the win as for the first 10mins of the 4th we looked to have stopped and they were running in waves through the middle.

2 months ago I thought if we went into next season relying on him up front, we were in trouble.

He's improving at a rate of knots.
Weirdly, it was two weeks ago (I think) in a not so dramatic moment where I thought, "oh my god, McClean has arrived!" He looked like he was gonna have a flukey snap at goal but elected a clever little dinky kick to Chad which resulted in a goal.

The thing I love about McClean is that he seems to have a calm mind and is capable of good decisions.

Doing us proud boys…doing us proud.
A great bloods win.

I didn’t even have that feel of dread going into the last after all those earlier-in-the-year nightmares.

Now for Blues to lose by about 50 points tonight and then a great Sunday of footy coming cheering on Port, Hawks and Tigers :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still feels like in the grand scheme of things we are papering over the cracks with how we are playing.

However that second half cant go unnoticed. The self belief has been building in the playing group the past few weeks. When a game has gone against the grain, we have started to wrestle back momentum a lot better, just like today.

Our stoppage work really lifted, defended really well when the ball went into our d50, and we are really making teams pay as of late. Really efficient again going inside 50 our forward line is humming. I agree that warner had an off day, but the thing that cant go unnoticed was just his appetite for the footy and pushed through well with some nice goals. Rowbottom flew the flag in the third term, brilliant game. Lloyd and Blakey were great down back and McClean is finding form.

Really proud on how we turned it around in the second half. We were 15th a few weeks ago and now 6th, lets enjoy the win.

this is the biggest obvious difference to the disorganised, dispirited swans of the first half of the season
we're tougher, more composed, less rattled ... or at least rattled for less time, we respond better

They are clearly carrying injuries.
Mills has been back for 8 weeks now after a long lay off. Hasn't hit any form at all

Parker has just been beaten 2/3 last 3 weeks. Caldwell tagged and killed him. Rowell too strong. Both fringe mids that are no where near their respective teams' best mids

Not sure if injuries are to blame

We couldn't win 5 minutes v Geelong earlier in the year so 5 wins in a row is massive. The season was up s**t creek ( a lot self inflicted sure) and now we have some form.

Even if we get smashed i'd like to play finals, I want us to win every game we can, because you never know.

Hayward deserves praise, massive game for him and the difference between taking his chances and not is massive. His attack on the ball was great,

Heeney was everywhere and it often doesn't show up on the stats.

Warner got a lot of it and did improve as it went.

We lifted when Gulden got going , defence was very good.

Interesting that Mcdonald Mclean and Amartey combined for 6 goals as at times looked quiet , Mclean more involved than the others perhaps early.

Amartey subbed out wonder if he is hurt

anyway where I am with the 2023 swans i'll just take the wins I don't overly give a * how in the moment

that's exactly it ... you never know
if we happened to just keep winning ...
hayward, heeney, papley had moments
mclean seems to be improving as we're watching, week to week, he looks more and more like a leader
mcdonald, like gulden, now contributes, even if his stats don't match ... the repeated efforts, on his knees, for that early goal ... that's team-lifting, and he also seemed to improve into the game from that moment
francis and blakey also strong, composed
this was a really mature performance and a significant win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back