Injury Goodes getting closer to a return?

Remove this Banner Ad

Swan Dive

Team Captain
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Goodes, however, is listed as being four to six weeks away from resuming after the posterior cruciate ligament injury that cruelled his 2013.

"He did almost everything for the majority of January and went to take the next step into the ball work, the high intensity stuff, and his knee got sore," Longmire said.

"We backed him right off and decided to give him a good block of six weeks and now he's back running, but the challenge will be the next step. We're hopeful the next step he can get over this time."

Not good news at all.

Goodes suffered that PCL injury back in June last year. But if it started playing up again after six months rest, the chances of him making a full recovery would have to be slim. He's now 34. I fear we might have seen the last of him.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...wans-outfit-20140310-hvh4k.html#ixzz2vb3H1iKK

Last edited by a moderator:

As players get older, the body starts to become less efficient at getting over injuries. I suspect that Goodes will recover but not be the same player that he was prior to his injury last year.
PCL's (as well as ACL's) are notorious for ending careers & I suspect this one will be the same.
Adam Goodes is a champion & should be given as much time to get over the injury as required, however like every other player, Adam Goodes must prove fitness & form to return to the senior team.

Sad to say it but I think he's toast.... at that age it's such a long way back. Even if he gets close to fitness there will be other parts of his body protesting because they aren't use to that level of stress anymore. Even if he can't make it back to 100% I still hope the club will give him a run out in front of an SCG crowd and the chance to bow out properly. In this case I think there is room for sentiment on the sporting field

Round 9 last year (or thereabouts) he tore up Collingwood. He was playing plenty of good footy in and around that game as well.

Yeh he is not getting younger but really nothing has changed except for the dreaded 4-6 week prognosis by our club.

I don't think anything other than a dodgy knee is an issue to be honest. Why he never had an operation on it is beyond me but then again I can't seem to locate my medical degree at the moment so I best not comment too much.

As players get older, the body starts to become less efficient at getting over injuries. I suspect that Goodes will recover but not be the same player that he was prior to his injury last year.
PCL's (as well as ACL's) are notorious for ending careers & I suspect this one will be the same.
Adam Goodes is a champion & should be given as much time to get over the injury as required, however like every other player, Adam Goodes must prove fitness & form to return to the senior team.

His fitness wont be a problem we would find him a role and I wouldn't question him being able to find form he will get that playing senior footy he wont ever play ressies not sure where else you think he will find any form... just get the knee right and he's in.

The day I see Tommy Walsh jump ahead of him on the injury list it the day I start to worry. Problem is he's gaining on him.

Seriously though, Goodes may be old, but he's not a cripple. He'll come through it well enough if he takes his time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it one of those injuries where there was/is a choice of 'rest & rehap' or an operation? If so, I wonder if an operation could yet be under consideration.

won't see him until after the bye, imo....cannot rush PCL's.....six, eight, ten or twelve weeks, whatever it takes as long as they slowly build it up for back end of the season. (Better for Buddy as well.) The old fella will be itching to prove himself (again) by than. :)

Goodes would draw 2 defenders just sitting on the bench peeling oranges. Another defender will be watching the orange peels. As the camera fixes on the bench Dermie will go on and on about how much he used to like oranges, how they were bigger when he was playing and how they remind him of his own glorious testicles.

It's a tough one. I'll never write off a champion but for older players once they start missing games, it gets harder to come back. I'll stick my neck out and say he will.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to not see him play again.

It also shows the stupidity of the whole "will he/won't he play" conversation that happened in the finals last year. It's been six months since then and he's still not even close to playing!

His fitness wont be a problem we would find him a role and I wouldn't question him being able to find form he will get that playing senior footy he wont ever play ressies not sure where else you think he will find any form... just get the knee right and he's in.

Baja,
He could really become a super substitute if he can get the knee right enough to play 50 mins each game. He would be dangerous down back, in the midfield or even forward. The mind will be willing, but will the knee allow it. God I hope so & I hope that he goes out a triple premiership player.

Last edited:
I'm going into this season without much expectation of Goodes playing an important role.

If he manages to play a part then I'll be very happy but we have a team capable of winning the premiership even without him.

Last edited:
A true champion and legend of our club. Will probably go down with Kels & Skilton as the greatest we've had. Hopefully he can get back for finals and tear it up and bring home another medal and cup combo. No need to rush him back given the strength of the side without him, just let him ease right back in with as minimal risk of re-injury as possible. His presence come finals would be more important than during the regular season in any event. Imagine if he called his retirement heading into finals... the boys would do far more than bust a gut. There would be no greater motivation...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back