Goulburn Valley FL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told Echuca Under 18's had up to 50 training in pre season and told up to 20 that they should try and find another club as too many to choose from. Might take a few more years but good base to work from to get some good senior players. There will also be plenty of handy ones from the other 20 at other clubs no doubt as well.

Why wouldn't Echuca have 2 U18 teams as it would be better than losing kids to other teams. Brings in income as well..

I was told Echuca Under 18's had up to 50 training in pre season and told up to 20 that they should try and find another club as too many to choose from. Might take a few more years but good base to work from to get some good senior players. There will also be plenty of handy ones from the other 20 at other clubs no doubt as well.

Not sure if the transition of players into senior football is all that high. Echuca U/18's won a flag in 2008 but now have only 1 player in the senior team from that side. The very next year, the boys headed off to uni and few returned to play at the club. Would be interesting to see the numbers in each senior team from the junior ranks.

Not sure if the transition of players into senior football is all that high. Echuca U/18's won a flag in 2008 but now have only 1 player in the senior team from that side. The very next year, the boys headed off to uni and few returned to play at the club. Would be interesting to see the numbers in each senior team from the junior ranks.
Its such a big step from thirds footy to GV seniors not many kids can make it in the first year , lots play a year in the 2s get a few senior games some eventually leave to minor leagues, most clubs are looking for quick success and buy proven players rather than develop their own like in the past , don't see many players these days that play 50 or 60 2s games and become good senior players any more.

Why wouldn't Echuca have 2 U18 teams as it would be better than losing kids to other teams. Brings in income as well..

That isn't allowed - each club has one senior, reserve and U18 team. There are two other clubs in town - Echuca United and Moama - so maybe they went there. There's also clubs in smaller towns - Tongala, Lockington etc nearby.

That isn't allowed - each club has one senior, reserve and U18 team. There are two other clubs in town - Echuca United and Moama - so maybe they went there. There's also clubs in smaller towns - Tongala, Lockington etc nearby.

Cheers Rowey,
Is there 2 junior leagues? Could they put 1 team in the GV and one in the MFL.. Is that allowed..

Its such a big step from thirds footy to GV seniors not many kids can make it in the first year , lots play a year in the 2s get a few senior games some eventually leave to minor leagues, most clubs are looking for quick success and buy proven players rather than develop their own like in the past , don't see many players these days that play 50 or 60 2s games and become good senior players any more.

G'day boys,
That's not good. Surely Echuca 18s woukd have at least 3-4 players capable of playing seniors out of 18s. If not then why is this as its a big area and isn't Echuca the "main" club..
What happens at other clubs. How many are good enough to play seniors out of 18s.

Very good discussion as this has to be the long term future success in growing your own..

G'day boys,
That's not good. Surely Echuca 18s woukd have at least 3-4 players capable of playing seniors out of 18s. If not then why is this as its a big area and isn't Echuca the "main" club..
What happens at other clubs. How many are good enough to play seniors out of 18s.

Very good discussion as this has to be the long term future success in growing your own..
Kyabram won the thirds flag in 2013 and in their senior side on Saturday were only two players from that team one playing his second senior game .

G'day boys,

It's about culture Turbo and currently Echuca do not have that. Not for quite a while to be honest. When people like Craig Scholl move away ... his kids move away ... they sack coaches who were clearly connected with former juniors (they all came back to play for Hendo, and then by the way all left with him) and they are left with the need to import players for inflated prices. Be very interested to know how many are locals this year!

If the amount of locals playing GV senior footy is as low as some
are suggesting what is the purpose of the club ? Raise money to pay blokes from out of town whose only connection to the town is their pay check. ?
Little wonder less locals are attending local games , putting their hand in their pocket for sponsorship or putting their hand up to take up a role on the committee .

Last edited:
G'day boys,

Echuca 18's have some really exciting players (excellent coach/coaching staff)but they don't stay because they generally leave for uni. Its an old argument but feel the club would be better suited in Bendigo FL...but I don't want to reignite that argument as we've done that to death on here.

It's not all doom and gloom with local players, the Shepparton Bears apparently had 6 thirds kids play senior footy on the weekend and 7 in the week before.

Kyabram won the thirds flag in 2013 and in their senior side on Saturday were only two players from that team one playing his second senior game .
To add to this, just looking at the Ky team from the weekend, 13 players have come out of the 3rds ranks over the years. Is this high compared to other clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Echuca 18's have some really exciting players (excellent coach/coaching staff)but they don't stay because they generally leave for uni. Its an old argument but feel the club would be better suited in Bendigo FL...but I don't want to reignite that argument as we've done that to death on here.
I'd go as far to say that if a club is not producing , on average , 2 players per year to go into it's senior side, then they are trying to compete at a level which is unsustainable . In relative terms I think more than 15 locals need to be in a sides best 22 for long term sustainability .

To add to this, just looking at the Ky team from the weekend, 13 players have come out of the 3rds ranks over the years. Is this high compared to other clubs?
Some of those players left the club and came back as paid players , KY do have 3 ex Echuca thirds players though .

Of the amount of locals playing GV senior footy is as low as some
are suggesting what is the purpose of the club ? Raise money to pay blokes from out of town whose only convention to the town is their pay check. ?
Little wonder less locals are attending local games , putting their hand in their pocket for sponsorship or putting their hand up to take up a role on the committee .
Spot on - finally someone says it!!!

Is that including the one they got cleared for the week , when the picola league had the bye ? Not a great precedent z
been happening on and off for decades, win-win-win situation, player gets a taste of a better standard of footy, existing club gets a player back the next week that will have learnt a couple of things that he can bring back to the club, loan club gets to look at a player for the future. *downside is if the player gets injured, but hey don't worry about playing/training if that is going to be a problem.

been happening on and off for decades, win-win-win situation, player gets a taste of a better standard of footy, existing club gets a player back the next week that will have learnt a couple of things that he can bring back to the club, loan club gets to look at a player for the future. *downside is if the player gets injured, but hey don't worry about playing/training if that is going to be a problem.
16 year old kid picked to play seniors round 1 above others who have done all pre season . Sorry but I don't support it , end of season is a different matter. .

Agree, I think if done in the right way it's a positive recruiting tool. Pros and cons both sides, but I don't think clubs can just sit back these days and hope players will rock up to their club. Need to be pro active 12 months of the year

12 at Rochy last week I think ... plus 4 x Bendigo, (Bowen must be approaching 10 years) 1 x Rushworth, Lockington, Stanhope, Benalla, and a nomad ...
I actually think Stanhope locky and Rushworth players should be considered Rochester locals . GVFL and immediate district clubs should be working together . Echuca during the early 90's when they win multiple flags was built on blokes out of locky , Cohuna , moama some may not have played seniors in the flags but they built the platform .
Personally I think AFL Vic Country should scrap there equalisation plan and bring in a plan which somewhat forces clubs to develop players .
Question for all .
Would you support the GVFL having 2 rounds , 6. & 12 for example . Where all clubs can only play players who have played under 18's at their club or within a club within 50klms . Players can receive permits to join a GV club for those round.
Personally, I reckon it would create alot interest and this biggest crowds of the year. Could also influence where a club finishes on the ladder and may change clubs thinking re developing their own ?

Agree, I think if done in the right way it's a positive recruiting tool. Pros and cons both sides, but I don't think clubs can just sit back these days and hope players will rock up to their club. Need to be pro active 12 months of the year
And clubs line up to talk to the player(s) within the GV club who may be aggrieved .
It has happened .

12 at Rochy last week I think ... plus 4 x Bendigo, (Bowen must be approaching 10 years) 1 x Rushworth, Lockington, Stanhope, Benalla, and a nomad ...
Against Seymour last week Benalla had 18 former juniors in their senior side.Some had gone elsewhere before returning but that is a huge positive for local footy and Benallas junior program.

Benalla wouldn't have a lot of competition around them when it comes to getting the kids into their club. Good sized area to work with. Good on them for producing the quality that they have over the years though, but they're also better positioned than a lot of other clubs with how many they have to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back