Goulburn Valley FL - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait is over for Patak
Former All-Australian junior Wayne Patak has literally waited 12 months to join Mooroopna.
Patak lodged a clearance to Mooroopna last off-season, but was contractually obligated to stay with Western Region league side Spotswood.
A third straight premiership with Spotswood made the wait worthwhile and the 22-year-old can now line-up for Mooroopna this season.
``A few people were in the same position as me (last year), they had signed a contract with Spotty then changed their mind,'' Patak said.
``They just couldn't let me go, if they let one (contracted player) go then they have to let everyone go.
``One of the better things about staying was winning a third flag, but as soon as the season finished I'd decided I wanted to go to Mooroopna.''
Patak played with current Mooroopna defender Nathan Tweddle at Spotswood.
The midfielder was impressed with Mooroopna's facilities during a couple of visits last year.
``The ground is pretty decent considering most metropolitan grounds are like shoe boxes. A bigger ground is appealing for an on-baller,'' Patak said.
Patak was named in the 2002 under-15 All-Australian side alongside future AFL stars Brett Deledio (Richmond), Travis Cloke (Collingwood) and David Swallow (North Melbourne).
A series of hamstring injuries during Patak's top-age TAC Cup season with Western Jets ruined his chances of an AFL career.
``After you make All-Australian you have hopes of making AFL, but I was sort of happier just playing a low key level with my mates,'' Patak said.
A mid-season knee arthroscope restricted Patak to four senior games last year, including Spotswood's grand final win against Port Melbourne Colts.
Patak is looking forward to playing in the more even Goulburn Valley Football League.
The apprentice carpenter will remain living and training in Melbourne.
``Playing for Spotty there was only three or four good teams then a big drop away to the lower part of the competition,'' Patak said.
``You would play one tough game then have three games in a row where you would win by 15 or 20 goals.
``Everyone likes winning, but it takes the fun out of it after a while.''

For the information of BigFooty users on the Goulburn Valley Football League board, pleased be aware the posting of entire news articles is against site rules and infringes on copyright law. Anyone wishing to post media articles from other sites, please post the first two/three paragraphs of the story and a link to the original article.

Thank you for your co-operation.

... and get limited coverage. Shepp News stuff is quite ordinary when it comes to footy coverage for all loacl leagues. I used to play with an ex reporter and with the salries and work conditions they have, its no wonder. Haven't heard if they are putting out their No.1 publication of the footy mag this year. Anyone know if this is a goer?

So all users of this thread should take out a mortgage to buy a SheppNews subscription...
I do understand where you're coming from MBP. Unfortunately, it's not just a choice made to steer people towards buying a subscription. It's a legal issue - I'm sure you can understand copyright is a serious issue.

... and get limited coverage. Shepp News stuff is quite ordinary when it comes to footy coverage for all loacl leagues. I used to play with an ex reporter and with the salries and work conditions they have, its no wonder. Haven't heard if they are putting out their No.1 publication of the footy mag this year. Anyone know if this is a goer?
I dare say the magazine will be on the go again this year. Hopefully none of the club information changes at the last minute just as they go to print this year, like the last couple of years.

After peoples thoughts... Will Perry Meka's cash splashing end up being to the detriment of the Swans?? They would be paying mad money for the likes of Yze, Robertson and Brown and my question is: Will the Shepp Swans be left high and dry with no money in a couple of years when these players have had enough? And will Meka, possibly having won a flag, desert the sinking ship if this is the case?

After peoples thoughts... Will Perry Meka's cash splashing end up being to the detriment of the Swans?? They would be paying mad money for the likes of Yze, Robertson and Brown and my question is: Will the Shepp Swans be left high and dry with no money in a couple of years when these players have had enough? And will Meka, possibly having won a flag, desert the sinking ship if this is the case?

I don't think anyone can defend Meka for some of his on field actions, but off field and one-on-one in particular, the bloke doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a lot smarter than people give him credit for, has a great footy brain and from some of the times I heard him speak when he was at Ardy, a great coach. I think it's a great effort by him to be able to recruit the ex-afl blokes that he has, and if you think he's the one writing the cheques then you might be a bit naive with how footy clubs generally operate.

You've gotta look, as well, at the reason why he's been appointed coach of the swans - to win them a flag. So if he throws everything at his disposal to do that, and does, wouldn't you say that HE has been a success?? It wouldn't be his fault if the swans committee spent above their means and the swans went broke..

Echuca
Mansfield
Shepp Swans (Perry's Circus)
Rochester
Shepp Utd
Kyabram
Mooroopna
Tatura
Seymour
Euroa
Benalla
Shepparton

Mooroopna would be filthy if they missed out on finals wouldn't they?? And I reckon with what the eagles have lost they'd be doing really well to finish top 3.. Is there anyone from Mooroopna who regularly posts on big footy? If so, how are Russell Lee, Craig Whelan, big Mick Gay and Doc Haydock going?

Mooroopna would be filthy if they missed out on finals wouldn't they?? And I reckon with what the eagles have lost they'd be doing really well to finish top 3.. Is there anyone from Mooroopna who regularly posts on big footy? If so, how are Russell Lee, Craig Whelan, big Mick Gay and Doc Haydock going?

Have loved each time Ive seen big Gay play - my only query is whether or not he can be as effective moving around on the bigger grounds of the GV? Is Sutherland retired or going once more? That would be a match-up worth witnessing :thumbsu:

I don't think anyone can defend Meka for some of his on field actions, but off field and one-on-one in particular, the bloke doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a lot smarter than people give him credit for, has a great footy brain and from some of the times I heard him speak when he was at Ardy, a great coach. I think it's a great effort by him to be able to recruit the ex-afl blokes that he has, and if you think he's the one writing the cheques then you might be a bit naive with how footy clubs generally operate.

You've gotta look, as well, at the reason why he's been appointed coach of the swans - to win them a flag. So if he throws everything at his disposal to do that, and does, wouldn't you say that HE has been a success?? It wouldn't be his fault if the swans committee spent above their means and the swans went broke..

Not too familiar with the circs here TP but in the past I have seen desperate committees from desperate clubs become blinded by their dazzling White Knight and tentatively put their head into a noose based on the White Knights enthusiam or his need for instant success.....That's not a shot at Meka or the club either.....

In regards to the Swans, the obvious proof of where Meka takes the club will be seen in years to come. With the money they have spent, I would think that the pressure is well and truely on him to deliver a flag. What I find interesting is that when he was appointed as coach he was quoted in the shepp news as saying the future of the club lay in developing the young talent at the club. He then goes on a recruiting spree of ex AFL players and others, all of who will put local talent, and in particular, the young talent he was spruicking when appointed, out of a game.
If I was one of those guys who have ambitions at the club who miss out on a game, Iwould question where the priorities of the club lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to the Swans, the obvious proof of where Meka takes the club will be seen in years to come. With the money they have spent, I would think that the pressure is well and truely on him to deliver a flag. What I find interesting is that when he was appointed as coach he was quoted in the shepp news as saying the future of the club lay in developing the young talent at the club. He then goes on a recruiting spree of ex AFL players and others, all of who will put local talent, and in particular, the young talent he was spruicking when appointed, out of a game.
If I was one of those guys who have ambitions at the club who miss out on a game, Iwould question where the priorities of the club lie.

I can see where your coming from Jaggo, but at the end of the day I can't take the over used line of bringing players into the club and therefore young guys missing out on a game. You play football to have success and the ultimate success is premierships, yes you have to have your eye on the future and make sure the club is sustainable long term but if the guys you have already got at the club aren't good enough to get the side into the finals/shot at ultimate success, then if the club has the means to get players that can it would be derelict of them not to.
The player/s that miss out because of that then need to realise if they want to be part of the success they have to work and prepare harder on their game to make sure they give themselves that opportunity.

P.S. How many 17-19yr old would love to train and have the opportunity to play with the calibre of players that have been recruited to the swans!! At 29 I would be pretty keen to get out there and learn from them!

I can see where your coming from Jaggo, but at the end of the day I can't take the over used line of bringing players into the club and therefore young guys missing out on a game. You play football to have success and the ultimate success is premierships, yes you have to have your eye on the future and make sure the club is sustainable long term but if the guys you have already got at the club aren't good enough to get the side into the finals/shot at ultimate success, then if the club has the means to get players that can it would be derelict of them not to.
The player/s that miss out because of that then need to realise if they want to be part of the success they have to work and prepare harder on their game to make sure they give themselves that opportunity.

P.S. How many 17-19yr old would love to train and have the opportunity to play with the calibre of players that have been recruited to the swans!! At 29 I would be pretty keen to get out there and learn from them!

Thank God for a sensible posts. Check out the talent at Echuca that have left from their Under 18's last year! All U18 from Swans last year have signed again and several are travelling back for the exact reason you state. Our sons would love to be in the enviable position of being able to have Adem, Russell or Nathan help with their development. Anyway lets see our the year pans out.

Thank God for a sensible posts. Check out the talent at Echuca that have left from their Under 18's last year! All U18 from Swans last year have signed again and several are travelling back for the exact reason you state. Our sons would love to be in the enviable position of being able to have Adem, Russell or Nathan help with their development. Anyway lets see our the year pans out.

Just on the Echuca guys leaving I know that the club encourages the young guys to live and play in places like Ballarat and Melbourne when at Uni. There are probably 4-5 young guys doing that and its unfair to expect them to be travelling hours on the road when some have not much driving experience,no license or little funds or study. I,m sure you will still see young fellas like Ismail,Evans,Childs,Walton and others play heaps of footy this year. One or two have gone over to moama but they didnt fit inn two the clubs culture.

Just on the Echuca guys leaving I know that the club encourages the young guys to live and play in places like Ballarat and Melbourne when at Uni. There are probably 4-5 young guys doing that and its unfair to expect them to be travelling hours on the road when some have not much driving experience,no license or little funds or study. I,m sure you will still see young fellas like Ismail,Evans,Childs,Walton and others play heaps of footy this year. One or two have gone over to moama but they didnt fit inn two the clubs culture.

are they too social? do they actually hang around and have a beer after the game? maybe they will fit in better at Moama then!

I know if I was a young bloke(I wish), I would be rapt to have those ex AFL players on board.
Who cares what they get paid - if they can perform, teach teammates, draw the crowds and force teammates to fight for their positions in the side then all is well.
Or perhaps the Swans should just sit back do bugger all, don't recruit, don't get any enthusiasm happening and continue on without premierships or crowd folllowings.
Ask Benalla what Stevens and Porter did for them - great crowds, player numbers, grand final appearance. A far cry from there present state.

I know if I was a young bloke(I wish), I would be rapt to have those ex AFL players on board.
Who cares what they get paid - if they can perform, teach teammates, draw the crowds and force teammates to fight for their positions in the side then all is well.
Or perhaps the Swans should just sit back do bugger all, don't recruit, don't get any enthusiasm happening and continue on without premierships or crowd folllowings.
Ask Benalla what Stevens and Porter did for them - great crowds, player numbers, grand final appearance. A far cry from there present state.

I believe everyone is very welcoming of the new players to the league but I think it would also be fair to assume after last year sacking a coach and telling all players they would take a pay cut that we would also like the Swans to be sustainable for another 10+ years.
If they have the money to pay good luck to them and want them to be competitive but also want them to be long term sustainable.

Another question to be asked is having 3 teams out of Shepp plus all the surrounding leagues they supply viable long term?

I believe everyone is very welcoming of the new players to the league but I think it would also be fair to assume after last year sacking a coach and telling all players they would take a pay cut that we would also like the Swans to be sustainable for another 10+ years.
If they have the money to pay good luck to them and want them to be competitive but also want them to be long term sustainable.

Another question to be asked is having 3 teams out of Shepp plus all the surrounding leagues they supply viable long term?

Well I for one, reckon that 3 teams out of Shepp may be on its last legs. I realise there doesn't seem to be a problem getting the ones on the ground, but surely the rate in which the players from numbers 15 - 40 are making their way out to the minor leagues due to $$'s or just the lure of playing footy without the 2-3 nights a week committment and having to wear a suit to the footy on Saturdays, will only make it harder for clubs to field 3 sides every week. I would think that you will see some committees getting together in the not too distant future to start planning for the inevitable.

I would like to reply on this one guys i have been involved with a football club down in melb for the last 10 years both as committee and president for the last few years my young bloke has played at the club for the last 10 years as well he is playing for shepp swans this year to learn from some ex quality football players who he feels will be able to improve his football we have grounds in melb in the comp that amaze me how we dont have more injuries un watered and no grass in shepp from what i see grounds are full of green manicured parks to play on i understand that you should use the local kids and i hope they do as well as some experienced players so that those kids can learn as well this is the reason my son is playing at shepp this year and driving from melb

I would like to reply on this one guys i have been involved with a football club down in melb for the last 10 years both as committee and president for the last few years my young bloke has played at the club for the last 10 years as well he is playing for shepp swans this year to learn from some ex quality football players who he feels will be able to improve his football we have grounds in melb in the comp that amaze me how we dont have more injuries un watered and no grass in shepp from what i see grounds are full of green manicured parks to play on i understand that you should use the local kids and i hope they do as well as some experienced players so that those kids can learn as well this is the reason my son is playing at shepp this year and driving from melb
Can people please get some kind of education before trying to post.
President you say, no one else would take the job on???
What a load of crap and obviously your kid isnt much of a player.
If the Shepp Swans dont win the flag this year I wouldnt put money on them winning one in the next ten. Meka couldnt give a rats arse about the club, one name on his look after list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back