Greeks, Turks and cheese - the never ending story

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, feta, the cheese is Greek. That's simply a fact.

If your looking for the etymology of a word that's fine. If it weren't Greek why would the European court protect the origin of its destination. A bit like Cyprus will doing with its native haloumi in the European courts now.

Next you'll be telling that mastic isn't Greek either and someone stole it from Uruguay.
Feta cheese is simply "White Brined Cheese". "Feta" is now a trademark.
The name itself is of non-Hellenic origin. And the actual origin of the cheese cannot exclusively be Greek.

The EU feel compelled to throw Greece a bone, then they shouldn't exclude other Balkan countries who also have historical claim to this type of cheese. Greece get trademarked with the EU that way we can have exclusive rights to that name in Europe gives them a boost in commerce that they need.

The issue is that the Greeks want exclusive rights over that style of cheese, which we all know exists in the wider geographical region of the Balkans and further afield in the Middle East, where possibly and more probably it's real origin can be traced.

Feta cheese is simply "White Brined Cheese". "Feta" is now a trademark.
The name itself is of non-Hellenic origin. And the actual origin of the cheese cannot exclusively be Greek.

The EU feel compelled to throw Greece a bone, then they shouldn't exclude other Balkan countries who also have historical claim to this type of cheese. Greece get trademarked with the EU that way we can have exclusive rights to that name in Europe gives them a boost in commerce that they need.

The issue is that the Greeks want exclusive rights over that style of cheese, which we all know exists in the wider geographical region of the Balkans and further afield in the Middle East, where possibly and more probably it's real origin can be traced.

Yes. Can be traced back to Ancient Greece. Where it originated.

Just like the Greek yogurt. But I'm sure you can tell me that's just a trade mark and other people make yogurt too.

Parmesan is just yellow cheese also, but we all know where that comes from. Mozzarella too. But they just been given a bone because the Greeks made cheese well before the Romans so therefore those Italian cheeses are not really Italian.

You're a massive advocate of what's not really Greek. Care to let me know why? Also, care to show me any proof of this so called trace back.....

Last edited:
Yes. Can be traced back to Ancient Greece. Where it originated.

Just like the Greek yogurt. But I'm sure you can tell me that's just a trade mark and other people make yogurt too.

Parmesan is just yellow cheese also, but we all know where that comes from. Mozzarella too. But they just been given a bone because the Greeks made cheese well before the Romans so therefore those Italian cheeses are not really Italian.

You're a massive advocate of what's not really Greek. Care to let me know why? Also, care to show me any proof of this so called trace back.....

If you hold the proof that white brined cheese originated in Ancient Greece, the whole World would like to see it.

If you hold the proof that white brined cheese originated in Ancient Greece, the whole World would like to see it.

It's as easy to find as your wiki "feta is from the Italian fetta"...

Europe knows it, hence the protected origin. There was more than enough time to dispute and more than enough channels in which to do so. If it ain't Greek Amoy ain't feta.

Nothing prevented these so called other Balkan, Eurasian or Middle eastern countries from objecting. Obviously, theres more to the history of feta than your care to see.

It's as easy to find as your wiki "feta is from the Italian fetta"...

Europe knows it, hence the protected origin. There was more than enough time to dispute and more than enough channels in which to do so. If it ain't Greek Amoy ain't feta.

Nothing prevented these so called other Balkan, Eurasian or Middle eastern countries from objecting. Obviously, theres more to the history of feta than your care to see.

The earliest references to cheese production in Greece date back to the 8th century BC and the technology used to make cheese from sheep's or goat's milk, as described in Homers's Odyssey involving the contents of Polyphemus's cave, is similar to the technology used by Greek shepherds today to produce feta.
Cheese made from sheep's/goat's milk was a common food in ancient Greece and an integral component of later Greek gastronomy.

Feta cheese, specifically, is first recorded in the Byzantine Empire (Poem on Medicine 1.209) under the name prósphatos (Greek: πρόσφατος, "recent" or "fresh"), and was produced by the Cretans and the Vlachs of Thessaly.

Did you read it?
It does not say the "earliest cheese production in history can be traced back to Greece in the 8th century BC", it is talking about cheese production in Greece specifically.

Also do you know what a Vlach is?

The earliest references to cheese production in Greece date back to the 8th century BC and the technology used to make cheese from sheep's or goat's milk, as described in Homers's Odyssey involving the contents of Polyphemus's cave, is similar to the technology used by Greek shepherds today to produce feta.
Cheese made from sheep's/goat's milk was a common food in ancient Greece and an integral component of later Greek gastronomy.

Feta cheese, specifically, is first recorded in the Byzantine Empire (Poem on Medicine 1.209) under the name prósphatos (Greek: πρόσφατος, "recent" or "fresh"), and was produced by the Cretans and the Vlachs of Thessaly.

Did you read it?
It does not say the "earliest cheese production in history can be traced back to Greece in the 8th century BC", it is talking about cheese production in Greece specifically.

Are you Vlachi? Last time I checked Thessaly was Greek. Do you know what a Pontian is? Has about as much relevance.

So, a cheese, similar to feta produced by Hellenes for at least 2800 years and is documented by homer, isn't a Greek cheese. Ok. It's must have been brought to Greece by Christoper Columbus when he was on his travels.

Did you read it?

Are you playing games. I re read your post.

I never said Greeks invented cheese. I said feta is Greek. No one will ever know who invented cheese. But we do know, that at minimum, according to your own post, that a "similar cheese" to "feta" has been produced in Greece for close to 3000 years.

So explain to me, which other european country can possibly make claims to it? I can understand the debate if a country that came from the former Persian empire or similar had claims. But to suggest anyone else in Europe is responsible for feta is a fallacy.

One things the ancient Greeks did fairly well and the reason that some much of what they achieved is still thought today is because they documented things.

Sure, not everything is true or correct, but I'd back those physical documents in over modern non documented claims that have little or evidence behind them.

Are you Vlachi? Last time I checked Thessaly was Greek. Do you know what a Pontian is? Has about as much relevance.

So, a cheese, similar to feta produced by Hellenes for at least 2800 years and is documented by homer, isn't a Greek cheese. Ok. It's must have been brought to Greece by Christoper Columbus when he was on his travels.

the actual origin of the cheese cannot exclusively be Greek.

When did I say that greeks never produced "white brined cheese".
It is not exclusive only to greece what don't you understand, therefore it cannot be claimed solely by the greeks yet they do.
Its like Greek Easter... what about Orthodox Easter?

It is not exclusive only to greece what don't you understand, therefore it cannot be claimed solely by the greeks yet they do.

Greeks invented feta. Not cheese. Others in the region have adopted it. We used to Bulgarian and Romanian feta.

Feta is a Greek cheese. A bit like champagne being French and the rest being sparkling wine. What don't you get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easter isn't a product. It's a holy month. The othodox religion was pioneered by the Greeks. I suppose that is true either? Orthodoxy wasn't spread mainly by Greeks? No?

So you taken it from calling a souvlaki a kebab to saying feta isn't Greek to telling us that Greece claims Easter as it own? Wow. You really don't like Greeks. That's fine. Doesn't bother me. But if you're gonna talk s**t at least back it up with a bit more substance.

You don't even have the balls to provide your heritage so we can add context to the argument.... All I can gather is that you have been fed some fabricated fables saying the Greeks didn't do anything they appropriated it.

To help end this dick measuring contest:

The Ottomans ruled Greece, Turkey, Lebanon for about 400 years.

Before that, the Arabs ruled Turkey, Lebanon, parts of Greece and Italy for about 1000 years.

Before that, the Byzantines/Romans/Greeks ruled Greece, Turkey and Lebanon for about 1,500 years.

So as you can see, we've been f**king each other for quite some time. That's why we all look the same, eat the same food, sing the same songs, albeit in different languages, which have been borrowing words off each other for the same amount of time.

To help end this dick measuring contest:

The Ottomans ruled Greece, Turkey, Lebanon for about 400 years.

Before that, the Arabs ruled Turkey, Lebanon, parts of Greece and Italy for about 1000 years.

Before that, the Byzantines/Romans/Greeks ruled Greece, Turkey and Lebanon for about 1,500 years.

So as you can see, we've been f**king each other for quite some time. That's why we all look the same, eat the same food, sing the same songs, albeit in different languages, which have been borrowing words off each other for the same amount of time.

That's pretty fair. Feta and souvs are still Greek! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back