Strategy Griff to the back line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
He's experienced there, can kick over a press, can take a grab, has the athleticism to keep up with the quickest talls and we've seen him blanket opposition forwards before (Roughead in 2012 I believe?). Since then he's gained strength and confidence.

I'm mainly considering this as an avenue to keeping McBean in the side, who I think added a lot against the Pies and will benefit from maximum senior game time.

Drop Elton (who has plenty of time) for Griff and run a forward line of Jack and McBean with a rotating Vickery.

Thoughts?

He's experienced there, can kick over a press, can take a grab, has the athleticism to keep up with the quickest talls and we've seen him blanket opposition forwards before (Roughead in 2012 I believe?). Since then he's gained strength and confidence.

I'm mainly considering this as an avenue to keeping McBean in the side, who I think added a lot against the Pies and will benefit from maximum senior game time.

Drop Elton (who has plenty of time) for Griff and run a forward line of Jack and McBean with a rotating Vickery.

Thoughts?
Something about him that I always like playing behind the footy.
His kicking is an asset back there,whereas I think he makes dumb decisions up forward trying to score from miles out and also missing easy set shots in closer.
He has put together some pretty decent footy in defence previously.
I don't mind him swinging around but I prefer him in defence.

I like the idea.
McBean showed enough to keep a spot in the forward line.
Worked hard to create leads, and actually brought the ball to ground in contests - a skill missing from TV's game.

Elton is too raw to be playing ones. The coach did him no favours playing him against the biggest gorilla in the zoo, but even off Cloke he was a few yards off the pace.

Imo he isn't the best defender so a no for me. However as a swing man maybe I guess.
You make a good point.
I like the attacking side he brings to the defensive 50 but he has a lack of urgency when defending.
It's all part of the frustration with him. Bits of good and bad all over the ground.

If Griff improved his tank could he be the high roaming forward/wingman that Richo played in his last year or two? I think they're trying something similar with Nick Riewoldt this year. I don't think he's a great backman but he showed last year with some of the defensive marks that he took that he can provide great aerial support. Let him roam far and wide and push forward when required. Not a swingman. A Wingman! Also allow Jack to do a little of this but closer to home. Jack delivers the ball inside 50 as good as anyone. Look at his lace out pass to McBean on Sunday.

I see McBean as more of a Jack Gunstan type. What a nightmare for a defender having your 3rd or even 4th tall standing at 202cm with the agility of a flanker.

It might be crazy given our struggles with a 3 tall forward structure, but I reckon we could find a way to play all 4 of them in attacking roles. :eek:

Probably worth leaving it alone until the pre-season unless we shoot our season in the foot again......

Abso ******* lutely not. Been there, done that and it was wrong, he is a forward only.
Well then he's not good enough in today's footy if that's the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't a fail down back at all. Played some good footy in the seniors back there but struggled with confidence/consistency which he's now developed further. I agree with Rodney in that I don't think he's at all proven to be an effective forward yet. He's not half as smart as McBean and tends to clog up space occasionally and his set shot kicking isn't as good as his field kicking.

Fact is we're still looking for a combination of talls that maximises their collective output. I think this particular combo is worth looking at for that reason.

I like the idea.
McBean showed enough to keep a spot in the forward line.
Worked hard to create leads, and actually brought the ball to ground in contests - a skill missing from TV's game.

Elton is too raw to be playing ones. The coach did him no favours playing him against the biggest gorilla in the zoo, but even off Cloke he was a few yards off the pace.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhj

For years we were calling for Dimma to play him up forward.
Now he's playing there, and some want to chuck him down back.
Keep him in the forward line.
Plays his best footy there.

We have Astbury as our swing man.

Disagree. I think the improvement in his game has come more so from physical and mental development than from positional change.

Astbury can replace Chaplin long term, don't particularly like him up forward. Not fast enough.

Griff is having a great season up forward. People seem to be forgetting because he has had a few weeks off. If anything I would give McBean a crack at developing as a tall defender for a few years. We are going to have 1 tall forward too many.

Maybe field offers at the end of the year and if and only if one comes along that is good enough we jump at it.

Sorry disagree, some players just play better in certain spots, no way in hell would we play jack fb or rance ff
Jack has shown he can play many different roles.
So can Rance.
Griffiths hasn't really shown he can do anything really. Bits and pieces.
He certainly can't be choosy.

The team functioned much better up forward on the weekend and he might not have a choice.
Is he useless in defence?
I don't think he is, but if you think he is well then he has limited options and will probably play VFL this week if he can only play forward.

Griff is having a great season up forward. People seem to be forgetting because he has had a few weeks off. If anything I would give McBean a crack at developing as a tall defender for a few years. We are going to have 1 tall forward too many.

Maybe field offers at the end of the year and if and only if one comes along that is good enough we jump at it.
This is the whole thing with Griffiths.
He's having a great season?

Disagree. I think the improvement in his game has come more so from physical and mental development than from positional change.

Astbury can replace Chaplin long term, don't particularly like him up forward. Not fast enough.
I disagree i think it has a lot to do with positional, he can now play using his natural ability and instinct.

Jack has shown he can play many different roles.
So can Rance.
Griffiths hasn't really shown he can do anything really. Bits and pieces.
He certainly can't be choosy.

The team functioned much better up forward on the weekend and he might not have a choice.
Is he useless in defence?
I don't think he is, but if you think he is well then he has limited options and will probably play VFL this week if he can only play forward.
Don't agree rod sorry, jack can't play defence and can't play mid no where near as affective as he can up forward IMO, Griffo isn't s**t or usless down back its just wasted when he could be playing up forward IMO.

These are relative discussions.

Send Griff back to keep Ty in and forward...we get 80% (??) Griff, 100% Ty, 2 guys to help Ivan and flick the Bean (apologies)

Put Griff forward...we get 100% Griff, one guy to support Ivan & 100% of a growing Bean.

To keep Ty, assuming that Griff & Ty just can't function forward together, is to request Griff take one for the team...has Ty done enough for his preferred posi to be the default position? And does this statement say to Griff doesn't matter how good you might become, we are always going to rate you 2nd to Ty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back