Resource Guide to Simonds Stadium and Geelong (last updated 2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Other grounds are being lauded for their standing room innovation and we're giving ours the boot!

I think the Gabba even has a series of standing bars to rest a beer on.

They do at Metricon Stadium, went up as part of an official Geelong travel; package last year. A premium section on the top level, where you could sit or stand up in the back section. Was really good actually, aside from the food & drink prices!

Hey guys

I will be making the trip down for our away game against your mob on Aug 1.

I will be staying near Docklands and I've never been to Geelong before. I plan on leaving from Southern Cross Station in the morning, have a look around your town before the game. Advice would be helpful on:

How much does train tickets cost from Southern Cross to South Geelong (I think that's the one closest to KP?) station? Is it cheaper to buy return? Can I use my myki card and does it make it cheaper?

What are some places worth sightseeing in Geelong?

Good places to have lunch before the game? What would the reaction be if I was at that place visibly in away team colours?

Also a good place to go after match if we (somehow) get the four points after the game or would it be better to train it back to Melbourne asap?

Also what are the frequency of trains to and from Geelong and Melbourne on game day?

Cheers in advance

Just use myki, in fact I think you have to. Should cost ~$15 (full fare) since it's a weekend. If you're just wandering around town just get off at Geelong Station since it's closer to the CBD. It's still well within walking distance of Simmons Stadium plus it's downhill to the stadium anyway! South Geelong is much closer to the stadium though.

You'll be fine in opposition colours so long as you don't plan on wearing Hawthorn or Freo gear ;)

On weekends trains normally run hourly. It's a pretty easy trip. There'll be an extra one or two immediately before and after the match as well, although the first one after the match tends to be packed so be prepared to stand for the hour trip back to Southern Cross if you want to catch it (or alternatively just shove people out of the way to claim a seat first, that works too).

There's a very nice beach section with a smorgy's on the pier, to the right of that nice beaches and from memory even a pool on the beach itself. Some nice suburbs/estates further back from the town on the hills also.

After getting in late from working up north all week, I've just remembered I had to get the father in law a pass for tomorrow and the Cats member line doesn't operate on weekends (really?!)

Are SC guest passes able to be purchased on the day? I've always ordered them a week or so out and had them posted to me. Can't see anything in in the MyCats area at the moment either.

Sorry to start a new topic on this, I did a search and it came up with nothing... mods please delete once answered.

Thanks guys.

Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know if there are any general admin standing room tickets available for tomorrow.

In our group we have 2 x AFL members (GFC club support) + 1 x GFC member. I have tried pre-booking on Ticketmaster to no avail. I have tried calling Tickemaster and also ALF Memberships - both to no avail.

Does anyone know if the GA Standing Area is all sold out? Or do they still have the the tickets available to purchase on the day?

Hanging to get there to see Boris' milestone. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Looks like its sold out with only single reserved seats remaining. They might release more standing room tomorrow but I wouldn't bank on it.

If you are really keen you can buy reserved seats (I think they're about $48 each) and just go and stand in the outer as a group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really keen on shelling out the cost of a reserved seat after I have already paid $400 for a membership!

Does anyone know what the clubs policy is on releasing additional standing room tickets on the day of the game? And if they do, what time does it usually happen?

Not really keen on shelling out the cost of a reserved seat after I have already paid $400 for a membership!

Does anyone know what the clubs policy is on releasing additional standing room tickets on the day of the game? And if they do, what time does it usually happen?
Sorry, I missed the bit in your original post about you being members. According to the above from the club website members can scan in on the day subject to capacity. So you'd want to be getting there early. But you don't need another ticket if you have membership access.

According to this:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-06-19/less-than-1000-seats-available-for-boris300

Geelong Cats members with general admission entitlements who have not pre-booked a ticket can scan in at the gate for standing room access (subject to capacity). Gates open at 1pm and members scanning into standing room are encouraged to arrive early to secure their place.​
Thanks mate. It means leaving the pub early and returning after I gain a pass out... If I don't pass out first.

You mean to say I can't gain access by scanning in with my membership?
Wouldn't count on it. Some games are declared "fully ticketed event" or something like that, and it means members aren't guaranteed access.

According to this:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-06-19/less-than-1000-seats-available-for-boris300

Geelong Cats members with general admission entitlements who have not pre-booked a ticket can scan in at the gate for standing room access (subject to capacity). Gates open at 1pm and members scanning into standing room are encouraged to arrive early to secure their place.​
Thanks.

SOG, I might see you at the pub!!

I am an AFL Silver Member (with GFC Club Support)......I hope there isn't some BS that stops me getting one of those remaining standing room tickets. I'll get there early and try my luck. *touching wood*

The mobile coverage in KP is putrid. I couldn't even send text messages to anyone (I'm with Telstra) yesterday due to zero coverage :thumbsdown:

I know coverage is bad at the MCG, but at least I can send/receive messages.

I had more tech issues at KP yesterday than I do sitting in LA.

Pissed me right the * off. SOS was my Telstra service signal.

I wanted to tweet numerous people, and do my thing.

Very disappointing.
GO Catters

The mobile coverage in KP is putrid. I couldn't even send text messages to anyone (I'm with Telstra) yesterday due to zero coverage :thumbsdown:

I know coverage is bad at the MCG, but at least I can send/receive messages.
It was fine until 2013, then all of a sudden it was horrendous (on Telstra I was unable to even make phone calls throughout the entire match).

It had improved this year until yesterday (the higher crowd?) when it was next to useless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back