Resource Guide to Simonds Stadium and Geelong (last updated 2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hotels in Geelong

What do you guys think would be the best available seats for this round 22 clash? Which stands are undercover? I'm very interested in going down to watch, but am unsure about seating there.
Only undercovers available to public are a few in the doug wade stand, ron hovey room or fred flanigan.

Can you not get seats on the wings at Skilled Stadium games? Are they all reserved and already taken?

The best available seats it is telling me is behind the goals, row BB in the Ablett stand. Any good?

Can you not get seats on the wings at Skilled Stadium games? Are they all reserved and already taken?

The best available seats it is telling me is behind the goals, row BB in the Ablett stand. Any good?
Nah, no seats on the wing. They're not really good, but i can't see you really getting any better. Not a bad view, but out in the element.

Re: Guide to Skilled Stadium and Geelong

I've sat regularly in the Gary Ablett Terrace for the last 5 years & have no complaints - close to the action, get a great view.

I notice in the blue & white e-mail members got today they specifically mentioned the whole "no bringing commercial food into Skilled Stadium" again. Be aware if you're planning to head to Ripper Roasts or the fish & chip shop on the way to the game this weekend - they may be cracking down on this! :(

Ease of tickets to Skilled Stadium

Howdy cats fans,
I am looking at taking the GF over to Melbourne/Geelong next year to a game at Skilled (she is a cats fan never been to a game in Vic)
How easy is it to purchase tickets to games at Skilled, I know Geelong have a large supporter base and it isn't the biggest capacity.
Any help greatly appreciated

They have a few hundred seats go on sale the monday two weeks before the game on ticketmaster, if you go on when they go on sale you should be able to get some.

Advice please: 1st trip to Geelong

I have a confession to make.

I've never actually been to Geelong. I am in exile in the far southern Sydney suburbs, and the closest I have been to the Holy Town is Avalon, en route to games at the G or Etihad.

That is about to change.

I've managed to cash in my accumulated surplus of Frequent Family Points & have brought my birthday (in early October) & Fathers' Day forward to 6 August, so that my first ever visit will coincide with The Return of Gazza.

I'll leave my home at 4:45am to walk up to my local train station & catch the first of 4 Sydney trains for the day. The Jet* flight lands at Avalon at 8:35am, so presumably I'll be off the airport shuffle service at the Corio Bay waterfront by 9(ish), looking for long lines of seagulls :D.

The airport shuffle will collect me later - somewhere in Geelong - at 6:45pm for the 8:45 flight to Sydney, and I'll step back inside my home at 11:45pm. Unless, as per after the Essendon game, air traffic congestion above Sydney delays my flight home by 90+ minutes.

I've managed to get all this (so far) for $167.

Now's where I need some advice:

* when do the tickets for that game go on sale? And how hard will it be to score: I am a member, so hopefully I can get one.

* where's the best place to sit? I'd love to get front row seats next to (or, praise be, even in) the cheer squad, but I imagine that those seats are next to impossible to obtain. But anywhere where I can share my passion for the hoops with other erudite devotees will make the day a special one.

* in my three or so hours between getting off the shuffle & getting to the ground (is 12 noon logical for the latter, especially as I do intend to make a reasonable contribution to the Cat Store's bottom line?), what should I do to get a feel for Geelong, and the people that live there?

* any recommendations where to get a good value meal (or 3)?

* where do my fellow Catters congregate before and after the game? I've never had the chance to actually meet fellow Catters, as my passion for the club has been painfully free of tangible human contact, other than via a computer screen or fleetingly at Swans' home games.

This is really my pilgrimage, so all assistance will be gratefully accepted.

Re: Advice please: 1st trip to Geelong

Now's where I need some advice:

* when do the tickets for that game go on sale? And how hard will it be to score: I am a member, so hopefully I can get one.

* where's the best place to sit? I'd love to get front row seats next to (or, praise be, even in) the cheer squad, but I imagine that those seats are next to impossible to obtain. But anywhere where I can share my passion for the hoops with other erudite devotees will make the day a special one.

* in my three or so hours between getting off the shuffle & getting to the ground (is 12 noon logical for the latter, especially as I do intend to make a reasonable contribution to the Cat Store's bottom line?), what should I do to get a feel for Geelong, and the people that live there?

* any recommendations where to get a good value meal (or 3)?

* where do my fellow Catters congregate before and after the game? I've never had the chance to actually meet fellow Catters, as my passion for the club has been painfully free of tangible human contact, other than via a computer screen or fleetingly at Swans' home games.

This is really my pilgrimage, so all assistance will be gratefully accepted.

I'll give it a crack.

- Tickets - contact the club should be available 2-3 weeks before, get in early as i think they will be popular.

- Best place to it, most places are ok, i think Hickey stand woud be your best bet if you want quality seats. If you are on your own you should be able to get one there. Dont sit near the cheer squad can do better than that, the outer area is better for crowd atmosphere. But the ground is full of Cat fans so anywhere will give a good atmosphere.

- 3 hours is plenty. If you want the atmosphere of Geelong on game day walk to the ground from the CBD it only 20 or so minutes, should be plenty of fans around. If there is no 2's game on you dont need to get there until at least 45 minutes before kick off.

- PLenty of places for a feed before the game. I would go to a pub close to the ground such as Sawyers Arms or Clarendon Hotel are just over the road from the ground and are full of Cat fans pre game or even the Commun Na Feine which is a little further away but has good cheap feeds HAve a look around the CBD and the Waterfront to kill some time but i would get to a pub by 12 for a feed and leave plenty of time to get a feed and to the ground.

- As for congregating fans the 2 pubs i mentioned are good, especially Sawyers Arms post game. The Lambys tent within the ground is also popular its behind the Wade stand.

Hope that helps should be a good day that one, have a good day and do me a favour give Gaz a huge Boo for me, i know i will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Advice please: 1st trip to Geelong

I think Muttonchops has got it pretty much covered.
I would add The Valley Inn to the list of Pub options either before or aftere the game. Usually a big number of Cat fans there pre-game, and very reasonably priced meals. Commun Na Feine is usually good/lively post match.

You may not get a chance to boo him. Has just limped off against Sydney. Apparently could be season ending according to John Ralph.

I wasn't planning on booing the boy, to be honest. I was very disappointed that he went, but it's just a matter of his priorities. And I'm well & truly over it now. We're playing finals - even if fit, he'll just be watching them.

One question: the tickets on sale all appear to be reserved seating & I can't work out how to buy mine as a member. When I click on the member tickets I hit a screen asking if I'm buying 10 which is effectively a dead end. Am I missing something here?

You may not get a chance to boo him. Has just limped off against Sydney. Apparently could be season ending according to John Ralph.

Ooops there goes the AFL's 10 million dollars down the toilet.

Call me a jerk but I can't say I'm sad about this news. The little gimp deserves to come down to Geelong and take his medicine like a man. Have to wait until next year I suppose unless the AFL decides not to schedule a Geelong home game against that plastic garbage.

All set to rock & roll tomorrow. Will probably be at the Sawyers Arms before and after the game (at least till I have to get back to Avalon).

BTW: can a Mod please stick this invaluable thread? I appreciate that there are very limited stickies & it can be found through a cross reference or three, but it is incredibly helpfull and all who have contributed have done so generously & highly informatively. It deserves to be up front & as accessible as possible to all traveliing to the Holy Town! ;)

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

All set to rock & roll tomorrow. Will probably be at the Sawyers Arms before and after the game (at least till I have to get back to Avalon).

BTW: can a Mod please stick this invaluable thread? :thumbsu:

Good stuff OB.

Hope you enjoy your first trip to Geelong tomorrow. :):thumbsu:

Tip: Rug UP. Freaken freezing down there. Whatever it is in Melbourne, subtract a couple of degrees.

So oozeboss,
Love to know.
How was your day in The Holy Land?

It exceeded expectations in relation to the team, the ground & the City of Geelong.

I have a pretty heavy job application to do right now, but I do intend to say a whole lot more after I get that in.

I was looking at online tickets through the ticketmaster website and a few days ago they had reserved seats available for Geelong v Sydney on the 28th, and now they dont.

Is this usual for them to stop selling and start up again? Because i wouldnt have thought it would be sold out yet...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back