Autopsy Half yearly review

Rating of our year to date?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like our list management team has made a huge mistake bringing in Jack Gunston, he was an elite player in his prime but that appears well past him now, our match committee will find it almost impossible to find the courage to drop him IMO.

Our recruits from the Hawks have gone steadily downhill, Hodge was a fantastic recruit for where we were at, Birchall I think was OK but unnecessary at the time, Gunston looks like being a disaster.

I feel like our list management team has made a huge mistake bringing in Jack Gunston, he was an elite player in his prime but that appears well past him now, our match committee will find it almost impossible to find the courage to drop him IMO.

Our recruits from the Hawks have gone steadily downhill, Hodge was a fantastic recruit for where we were at, Birchall I think was OK but unnecessary at the time, Gunston looks like being a disaster.

I don’t think it was a mistake, unless there were other key forwards we had the chance to bring in. If we end up beating a dead horse and playing him when he’s past it that’s on the match committee. It was a decent gamble considering we didn’t have much depth and if he just spent a year or two in the reserves side I don’t think it is a terrible waste.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I reckon we are there abouts with my expectations. I thought we would have around this record but maybe wins/loses against other teams. Some players have improved but some have regressed - that happens every year.

At this point I think we are in a great position to set up for finals. Good win record and not many injuries. We just need to see if we can learn the lessons to win. How do we keep the list fit and firing for finals time? Have we learnt the lessons from last few seasons?

For me it’s not that we have lost some games, but rather the manner of the loses that has been disappointing.

Still feels like we have to find more within our team to not be viewed as pretenders.

One bad loss and two highly competitive losses?

I mean, in particular the loss v the Crows is hardly a bad loss. We cost ourselves by kicking 1.9. That will not happen again this year. Round one is a Mulligan and the Dogs game - while disappointing - was rectified in the following weeks and would back us to win against the Dogs in a rematch.

I mean, in particular the loss v the Crows is hardly a bad loss. We cost ourselves by kicking 1.9. That will not happen again this year. Round one is a Mulligan and the Dogs game - while disappointing - was rectified in the following weeks and would back us to win against the Dogs in a rematch.
Yes, I was worried about confronting certain teams in finals in particular years over the last 4 seasons eg. Tigers, Demons and Cats.... now I feel that if we get to the finals in good shape injury wise we are capable of beating any team on our day and should fear no one.

Yep, feels like we're playing a more sustainable brand of football this year, with a healthy balance of scoring from stoppages and forward half game (which have been our bread and butter for the past 4 years) and better defensive run and transition, effecting more midfield intercepts and scores from turnover - both metrics that have been strongly correlated with wins and doing well in finals in recent years.

We also have a more even contribution across the board. Previously we relied on Lachie or Charlie playing blinders to win too much of the time, but different players in all 3 areas of the ground are now popping up with more game breaking play. Sure we still get some great performances from certain individuals, but it feels we are less reliant on these now to win.

We can still play better and can still lose to good opposition if our effort/execution isn't quite there, and if the opposition has a really good game - see the game just gone vs Adelaide. However we look like we're well matched to compete and beat every team as long we play well.

Furthermore, David Noble previously said that we rely on playing with passion to win, and need to work on being more consistent. There were also times where it felt like we were playing as a group of talented players rather than as a cohesive team with a good system. This year, round 1 aside, it feels like we're more consistent and clinical, and playing better as a team.

Still half the season to go and then finals. Form can fluctuate and injuries can bite. However if we get to September in reasonable shape, this will be our best chance yet of going all the way.

I'm sure Dunkley,Wilmot,Mckenna and Ashcroft are making the most of the week off what a difference those 4 have made :eek:

the 3 losses hav'nt been good but I'm sure they would have been worse had it not been for those 4 like in both Melbourne losses for example:sick:

I agree with others that there is cause for optimism. But i hope the club is taking stock and thinking about what we need to change / tinker with, rather than just being totally comfortable with where we are at.

On personnel

DEFENCE
Payne and McKenna great and locks.
Wilmot improved each week when he went back there.
Rich really needs to be a watch. Not from one game, but because he is slowing down, is missing games through injury, and is just not giving us the drive he used to.

MIDFIELD
Dunkley awesome
McCluggage a bit down albeit some decent signs recently
Wings i am no clearer as to who they are / should be compared to round 1. Sharp started to show promise.

FORWARDS
Daniher been great
Hipwood very good team player, needs to contribute more off his own boot
Cameron excellent and great pressure
Gunston clearly on every measure should be looked at. Fort / Lohmann / Ah Chee all options.

GAMEPLAN
It looks improved to me. Midfield better balanced. Defence better positioned.
Loved the in-game adjustment v Collingwood.
Got a wake-up call the last 3 weeks re teams flooding our forward 50.

WHAT WE SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT / WORKING ON IN SECOND HALF OF THE SEASON
  • Forward 50 efficiency - last 3 weeks inside 50s through the root but scoring down. We should be going over the tapes in all 3 matches, looking at what opposition is doing, talking to the team about alternatives eg shallower entries, new angles etc
  • Midfield mix- where is McCluggage best suited? What should Zorko be doing in terms of mid / forward time? What is our best defensive CBA when we are getting beaten? The big one - who are our 3 wings? A few have had a go, we should know by now who the best 3 are in terms of team balance and go with them
  • Gunston - is clearly not delivering. Fort or someone else deserves a run. Perhaps no coincidence that with teams flooding back a leading player such as Gunston is struggling - and that's not his fault. But we have to ADAPT and go smaller for crumbing goals or taller like Fort to make sure we don't get outmarked when we bomb it
  • Rich - agree with others he should get super fit again. However that is. He deserves a shot but should also be told, don't leave anything out there because your spot is not guaranteed. I think that's only fair to a player rather than them being shocked they are dropped
  • Rayner - honestly believe if we get the best out of him we are a significantly better team. Not sure how but we should make that a focus

There has been plenty that has gone right. We cannot sit still.

He's still a long way of the best for defensive 1 on 1 losses but his intercept game is getting back to where it was
I think we have known for a long time that Harris operates better as a floating/intercept type defender rather than playing one on one against the big boys.
Which is why Payne has been so important this year, especially after losing Adams for the year.

This year just feels different. Feels like we are building nicely into the season and have a lot of upside if we can get our mix right by the time finals come around.

Just have to figure out what to do to get the most impact out of McCluggage. Looks a little weak around the contest. Needs to learn how to absorb the tackle, keep hands free and dispose of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year just feels different. Feels like we are building nicely into the season and have a lot of upside if we can get our mix right by the time finals come around.

Just have to figure out what to do to get the most impact out of McCluggage. Looks a little weak around the contest. Needs to learn how to absorb the tackle, keep hands free and dispose of the ball.
I would prefer as some others have suggested that McCluggage spend most of his time out of the contest as the first receiver or on the wing... we need him with his hands on the ball in space delivering it into F50 more often.
171918.jpg

I would prefer as some others have suggested that McCluggage spend most of his time out of the contest as the first receiver or on the wing... we need him with his hands on the ball in space delivering it into F50 more often.
171918.jpg
Bring Lyons back in the mid and berry + mccluggage on the wings? Worth a try for a stretch of games before the end of the season at least

This year we are relatively injury free. Even though we have improved in certain areas that's a big factor. If things stay that way we'll be a competitive Top 4 team. Last year we were tired and sore from around halfway through the season but still managed to win 2 finals.

It's critical our key backs are there in the finals. Other very important players are Dunkley ,Neale, Starcevich, McCluggage, Cameron and Daniher.

We need more impact from Rayner ,Bailey and Coleman. Get them to the level they're capable of and we've got a shot at it. But at this juncture we're no better than Collingwood or PA with Melbourne and Geelong yet to show whether they can reproduce their best.

I think it's open this year.

This year we are relatively injury free. Even though we have improved in certain areas that's a big factor. If things stay that way we'll be a competitive Top 4 team. Last year we were tired and sore from around halfway through the season but still managed to win 2 finals.

It's critical our key backs are there in the finals. Other very important players are Dunkley ,Neale, Starcevich, McCluggage, Cameron and Daniher.

We need more impact from Rayner ,Bailey and Coleman. Get them to the level they're capable of and we've got a shot at it. But at this juncture we're no better than Collingwood or PA with Melbourne and Geelong yet to show whether they can reproduce their best.

I think it's open this year.
Yep very true and we were a bit beaten up by the end of last year.

Tricky draw really for the rest of the year

Must win away - hawks
Must win home - swans, eagles, tiges, saints, crows
Tough but should win away - saints, suns
Tough 50/50 contests - freo away, geelong home
Would be a bonus / upset away - pies / dees

Bank the first 2 categories that is 14 wins. Not a guarantee but really losing any kf them would be a poor result.

Gets harder from there. There are no guarantees. But if we play well we will absolutely win some of those games and finish top 4.

I have always assumed we would lose 1-2 at the gabba but only hard matches left are saints and cats so maybe we go the whole 11?? Would be quite intimidating if we managed that and hosted a qf and or pf.

Back