Has Anyone Debuted In A Grand-Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

These are the things I love reading about from AFL/VFL/WAFL/SANFL etc history. :D
Tell me about it, its just stuff you would never see happen now its all professional.

My favorite old one was a captain calling a headcount when the opposing team was obviously fielding a few too many players, whom went scurrying into the stands and hiding amongst the spectators to avoid a proper count.

I forget the details but that was about the sum of it.

Not a debut but I'm sure Richard Hadlee's 3rd AFL game came over a year after his second, when he was called into Brisbane's prelim final team in 2003. His 4th AFL game was in the winning grand final side the next week.

Haven't heard that one.

St.Kilda players went on strike in 1911, and players from local clubs were called in to represent the Saints against Carlton. St.Kilda lost by 114 points; a Carlton player took shelter from the rain under a spectator's umbrella during play, allowing his opponent to score one of St.Kilda's two goals. Certified Legend Roy Cazaly made his debut in this match.

The players were on strike for (I think) 2 more games for 100+ losses, in an era when this was incredibly rare, before they gave in and resumed playing in the final game of the season. The fight was all over the committee banning the players families from the dressing rooms, a piddling little thing in the context of things. Why they chose to stand their ground on something like that is utterly beyond me.
The players and committee at St Kilda have never seen eye to eye, even going back this far!

Also I think another player played in a semi or prelim by the name of Mark Dreher for the Pies

Dreher's second game was the 1979 Qualifying Final
Kink's fourth game was the 1973 Preliminary Final

These things can be checked by Googling the player's name with 'afl tables' at the end, e.g. mark dreher afl tables

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tahu harris from the Melbourne Storm debut in the World Champions game IIRC, pretty much as high as it gets in NRL

Here goes first post after years of lurking. Ron James I believe debuted for Williamstown as a 14 year old in the 1986 VFA grand final. He was tragically killed in a water skiing accident after playing about 20 games for the Bulldogs.

Thanks for choosing my thread to post in, and welcome to BigFooty.

Thanks for the welcome have enjoyed reading Big Footy for a while but am a man of few words and those I have take an age to type

You'll get hooked quickly.

Think Robert Harvey would trade his career for that?
I would if I were him.

Maybe I'm a little more selfish but I'd much rather a 383 game, 2x Brownlow medal, 4x Bnf and 8x All-Aus career over 1 game 1 premiership. ;)

Maybe I'm a little more selfish but I'd much rather a 383 game, 2x Brownlow medal, 4x Bnf and 8x All-Aus career over 1 game 1 premiership. ;)

It is a hard choice I'll admit.

Not a debut but I'm sure Richard Hadlee's 3rd AFL game came over a year after his second, when he was called into Brisbane's prelim final team in 2003. His 4th AFL game was in the winning grand final side the next week.

Richard Hadlee was a great NZ fast bowler.

I remember watching the incredible hulk Renee Kink's debut in the 1973 PF against the Tigers. He was 16 years old from memory which must go down as one oft the youngest debuts for a PF I would have thought!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back