Mod. Notice Have your say

Which best describes the state of the BigFooty Geelong Board?

• The board is working very well

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • The board is okay, but requires some improvement

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • The board is a mess

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Cats fans,

Before the excitement of the finals hits us, we would like to invite all to provide feedback about the state of the BigFooty Geelong Board.

It would be great if you would take a few moments to vote in the poll, but more importantly it would be appreciated if you could post your thoughts about how things are going within the thread. Anything is fair game; the moderators, the quality of the discussion, the amount of traffic, the forum structure, and so on. Voting is useful, but we are most interested in ways you think the Geelong Board can improve, what we are doing right or wrong, and your general thoughts about your use of this forum.

Please be mindful of the board rules before posting, as they also apply to this thread (keep it polite, keep it civil, refrain from getting personal regarding other posters). Moderators will not touch this thread unless rules are broken.

If you have problems with other users please contact the moderators privately.

The moderators

SJ winty Pure_Ownage Turbocat

Its all good.

Love your avatar SJ. Is that Wayne Closter there with the Number 1? Nah maybe a bit before my time.

Always room for improvement. :)

I've seen a big improvement in the past 12 months or so and I put it down to a few things:

1. I used to find it impossible to follows conversation with the mod policy of merging threads and having mega threads rather than more granular discrete topics. The ability now to click on a thread and be taken automatically to the first unread post is a godsend.

2. I think there has been less of a domineering presence of 1-2 posters in 2014. I won't name names but it's overall positive for discussion on the board.

3. A vastly improved mobile theme which makes reading and posting on mobile much much easier.

A few suggestions:

1. The off topic posts are pretty annoying and the ignore function only gets you so far. It would be great for mods - when alerted - to at least caution posters to keep discussion on track.

2. Related to #1, sometimes particular posters go off the rails a bit and clearly need a gentle tap on the shoulder to be told to pull their head in/calm down/have a lie down/etc. I've seen some evidence of this happening but a little more would probably clean things up from time to time.

3. I still think the threads are generally too 'mega' and discussion on more granular topics is a better way to go (although I concede this is a long running gripe I'm unlikely to win the mods over on!).

Overall, pretty positive. Keep up the good work. It's largely a thankless task (so thank you).

A few suggestions:

1. The off topic posts are pretty annoying and the ignore function only gets you so far. It would be great for mods - when alerted - to at least caution posters to keep discussion on track.

I could've done with that recently.Instead it was KAPUT from Bigfooty and on your bike you go.

2. Related to #1, sometimes particular posters go off the rails a bit and clearly need a gentle tap on the shoulder to be told to pull their head in/calm down/have a lie down/etc. I've seen some evidence of this happening but a little more would probably clean things up from time to time.

3. I still think the threads are generally too 'mega' and discussion on more granular topics is a better way to go (although I concede this is a long running gripe I'm unlikely to win the mods over on!).
Yeah I agree - but it's tough sometimes you are talking about player X which leads into a comparison to player Y etc. There are individual threads in a sub forum but no one goes there. I don't mind the odd off topic diversion but when it gets messy and personal as the other thread did I think a bit of smack could be dealt - i.e. mass deletion of posts (if it's off topic or abusive no one is going to mind.) - 1 day rests etc.

Overall no complaints a few circular discussions keep reoccurring, but s**t happens.

9/10 for mine :)

Think opposition supporters can get a free run at times, which we don't get on other boards
This is slightly annoying, I am super respectful on other boards. Yet other pricks can come in slag our players off and get not so much as a warning.
Call a Geelong player a spud or a flog and you're from another board. Get a holiday IMO.

Yeah I agree - but it's tough sometimes you are talking about player X which leads into a comparison to player Y etc. There are individual threads in a sub forum but no one goes there. I don't mind the odd off topic diversion but when it gets messy and personal as the other thread did I think a bit of smack could be dealt - i.e. mass deletion of posts (if it's off topic or abusive no one is going to mind.) - 1 day rests etc.

Overall no complaints a few circular discussions keep reoccurring, but s**t happens.

9/10 for mine :)
:eek:
What are you suggesting, boobie?

Think opposition supporters can get a free run at times, which we don't get on other boards

That is probably the main problem on this board.Unlike other boards we do allow opposition supporters to post,which is good,but there are the odd ones that just push their luck yet seem to still be allowed to continue to post here.Now most of those come from 2 clubs that played in the twilight game on sunday.

Good to see todays Collingwood troll was quickly deleted. :thumbsu:

Other than people drifting off topic and I'll try harder in future not to:D there's little to complain about,plenty of football knowledgeable posters heaps of good banter some great spellers and best of all Mods who are like good umpires do the job but are rarely centre of attention in their official capacity.I think I shall stay here.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're barking up the wrong tree there Catempy- SJ is the king of merging threads.. the KING.

Always room for improvement. :)

I've seen a big improvement in the past 12 months or so and I put it down to a few things:

1. I used to find it impossible to follows conversation with the mod policy of merging threads and having mega threads rather than more granular discrete topics. The ability now to click on a thread and be taken automatically to the first unread post is a godsend. This for some reason does not work as consistently on my iPhone in the new mobile app. And the text darkness b/w a read an unread thread needs to be more in contrast to identify read and unread threads more easily.

2. I think there has been less of a domineering presence of 1-2 posters in 2014. I won't name names but it's overall positive for discussion on the board.

3. A vastly improved mobile theme which makes reading and posting on mobile much much easier.

A few suggestions:

1. The off topic posts are pretty annoying and the ignore function only gets you so far. It would be great for mods - when alerted - to at least caution posters to keep discussion on track. Tangents are fine for a post or two but the long winding paths and emoticon parties can be distracting.

Overall, pretty positive. Keep up the good work. It's largely a thankless task (so thank you).

Im gonna cheat and follow on to CE as he's pretty much nailed it all here.
see the BLUE

Also, there seems to a be great leniency for posters of other boards to come here. Im all for the discussion and I think the Mods should be commended for creating the environment where other posters feel welcome to join in. Its a fine line and hard to police.

My one comment would be that when that openness is abused sometimes the hammer seems a little light in its bludgeoning. Again, its a fine line and the Mods do a great job that , as CE said, is largely thankless.

Overall, its a great place and being nearly 9000 "Go Catters" deep im glad that we have the place we can see, hear, discuss, react to and appreciate all things Geelong. There are some fantastic posters here, some favorites and some otherwise but the best thing is that they all want to see the GFC succeed.

GO Catters

(8331 if you are
counting…)

He is a like a frog to our ecosystem :)
I get the feeling even if the environment is turning toxic, dazbroncos would still post.

Unlike a frog.

They're a bit soft. They need Utopia!!

I'll try an come up with something more constructive. I think I've used my word limit for the day.

The most common topic in this thread seems to the 'free ride' of opposition posters.

The solution is somewhere in between the current situation and other club boards mods, which can be a bit twitchy with the trigger finger so to speak.

Overall I think the mods do a fine job, given the amount of threads and posts that are created on this board throughout a year, so keep up the good work guys:thumbsu:

one of the best boards on this website. I often stroll onto other boards to get a read on things, people on this one are very down to earth, respectful of each other, healthy debate whether it is negative and/or positive discussions (albeit the Varcoe topic every now and again) and most of all, you learn something new almost every day.

I don't wanna bring up other team boards as it attracts criticism but just go stroll onto a certain teams board and you will quickly see how volatile it is if your opinions are not expressed by most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back