List Mgmt. Hawkins to shun free agency

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that was pretty much what he'd said.. :confused:
Maybe I'm reading more into his comments than what he actually meant:
"We'll work that out over the next couple of months but at the moment I'm firmly entrenched in pre-season and doing what I can to prepare myself for the season, but that (the contract) is going to get done. I'm happy with how it's going," Hawkins told AFL.com.au.
(As quoted above by TEDDY24INC )
Touche.. not really sure where u r going with this herne hill

Touche.. not really sure where u r going with this herne hill
We'll have egg on our faces if he does a backflip, unfortunately :) but we can really only go on what he's said publicly.
Or we can sit back and wait for a signing- wherever it is- and then nod our heads wisely and say "I told you so" or go AWOL for a while, until the hullaballoo dies down if we got it wrong. ;)

We'll have egg on our faces if he does a backflip, unfortunately :) but we can really only go on what he's said publicly.
Or we can sit back and wait for a signing- wherever it is- and then nod our heads wisely and say "I told you so" or go AWOL for a while, until the hullaballoo dies down if we got it wrong. ;)

It wouldn't surprise if they hold any announcement until the week they let out that more operations have taken place.

From Selwood:

A new deal for key forward Tom Hawkins, who is out of contact at season’s end, is now inevitable.

“He loves this place, he’s played some great footy down here, he’s been through some hard times too, but he’s just a Geelong person through and through,” Selwood said.

“We look forward to it getting done, whenever that is. There’s no pressure on him.

“He’ll work through that with (football manager) Steve Hocking, the coach and whoever else is involved and I think it will bring a smile to most Geelong people’s face.”

Tommy has very strong links via Jumping Jack and clearly he and Selwood are very close mates - he also comes across as well educated and IMO a little old fashioned in that he values loyalty and appreciates what the Club has done for him over the years. This sets the climate for him wanting to stay at the Club.

Having said that Football is his career and livelihood - as long as we pay fair value and meet any other reasonable conditions you would think the deal would be done. He is the #1 Power Forward in the Competition so you would think we will pay him what he is worth - to try and save a few grand or take advantage of his loyalty would be an act of insanity - a hanging offence ! :eek:

Tommy has very strong links via Jumping Jack and clearly he and Selwood are very close mates - he also comes across as well educated and IMO a little old fashioned in that he values loyalty and appreciates what the Club has done for him over the years. This sets the climate for him wanting to stay at the Club.

Having said that Football is his career and livelihood - as long as we pay fair value and meet any other reasonable conditions you would think the deal would be done. He is the #1 Power Forward in the Competition so you would think we will pay him what he is worth - to try and save a few grand or take advantage of his loyalty would be an act of insanity - a hanging offence ! :eek:

Arh Jumping Jack , probably my favourite player as a kid. Played CHB yet if he was around now , my guess is he would be closer to a mid like Fyfe than KPP.
I get the feeling the football experience for Tom is as important as the money , as long as he is not getting well unders ( and he will get well paid no doubt) ...the finals , the team , the environment are all important to him. If a huge offer cam in from a NSW team , one could not blame him for looking at it but I suspect it would have to be HUGE to compensate for the loss of the things mentioned.

I would agree that I think the GFC experience is worth it for Hawkins. The flags, the heritage, the club as a whole. It has intrinsic value to him and that will offset say 100k per year less than Freo has to offer. Mind you, that 100k means he only gets say 800k per year not 900k for 5 years.

Boyd on the other hand, has no ties to GWS or the Doggies. So he takes the $$ and runs.

Go Catters

Any update on the Tomahawk?
Sorry mate, he won't be leaving the Cats. He's stated publicly that "it will get done."

Jake Niall from the Age recently reported that his signing is "imminent" and that he has no desire to leave.

Sorry mate, he won't be leaving the Cats. He's stated publicly that "it will get done."

Jake Niall from the Age recently reported that his signing is "imminent" and that he has no desire to leave.

So now Freo has in the money box
-$1m they didn't get to use for Franklin, and
-$1m they didn't get to use for Hawkins.
They are a very wealthy club.
Sort of.

Also, $25 a week they don't have to pay Sylvia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of.

Also, $25 a week they don't have to pay Sylvia.

Alex Rance i'm assuming will be our number one priority if the big Hawk is close to signing.

Sort of.
I reckon that Alex Rance will be targeted really hard by Freo. Whether he wants to leave Richmond or not, I'm not sure but it won't be for a lack of trying on Freo's part IMO.

Don't forget his mother has strong GFC ties too

I don't think anythings changed, it's just they're taking their time now that they know it'll get done.

Personally I think it's because they have what 8 contracts to do this season? So might take sometime I guess. (But that's my own thoughts.)

It would have to do with the ASA's (legal third party agreements that can provide extra income for players, not visy stuff). Selwood and Hawkins as both our two highest paid and our two most marketable players would be taking the lions share of the club's ASA allowance. Unfortunately the third party agreements need to be all finalised before the player's contract can go to the afl for approval, as they get submitted along with the contract. So that makes it a long process to get contracts submitted and could well be the delay in this case.

I've got no doubt about him staying though.

I don't think anythings changed, it's just they're taking their time now that they know it'll get done.

Personally I think it's because they have what 8 contracts to do this season? So might take sometime I guess. (But that's my own thoughts.)

And im sure after the Bundy contract situation which didn't work well for us, that there would be some urgency - but it is Feb for an expiring contract in Oct.
There is time and the fact its rolling now has to be a good sign.

Go Catters

So just thinking out loud, makes you wonder with Boyd's deal and now Cameron at 5 years 5 millionish how Hawkins deal with the club sits.

Thats a lot of $$ for some potential. What does the proven real deal get on the open market? Once that is figured out, how much home town discount does he give and do they as for?

Im not saying for a second that there is an issue between Hawkins and the club - I have no reason to believe there is.

But with 2 of these deals now done, does it help or under getting this one sorted?

Perhaps it lifts a 4 year deal for him by 300k overall …from say 800 to 875 a year….

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back