List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a difference between offering more & offering too much.

I’m sure the team had a limit on what we’d offer to get Curtin & we obviously reached that limit.

We had a F2 & 2 x F4 to offer.
Clearly we weren’t prepared to over pay
We didn't pick up those 2 x F4 until night two. The only reasonable offer we could make without giving up Watson was to trade our F1 and get a F3 back (as clubs are required to hold at minimum either a F1 or a F2 + F3).

There’s a difference between offering more & offering too much.

I’m sure the team had a limit on what we’d offer to get Curtin & we obviously reached that limit.

We had a F2 & 2 x F4 to offer.
Clearly we weren’t prepared to over pay

Problem is it looked like they didn’t want to trade out of the draft if we had another pick this year in the top 10 but wanted to move up with a pick swap clubs would have done it.

When is the father son time thread going to be unlocked seeing the draft has been done.

So we can talk about who is next like young Ky Burgoyne Shaun’s Son.

I think one of the best things about our list profile at the moment and cap space to retain improving players. Is that for the next 3-4 years with the exception of Bruest and Gunston we won't have significant outs making us a weaker side.
This site is great to show how sides progress.
Hawthorn Playing List for 2009 - Draftguru
See here in 2009 (i know a much stronger starting point despite age) when we lost a heap of experience and were still one of the youngest lists. And here by year each player gets older and another 15-20 games experience and the goals and brownlow votes go up and up. Untill they we start getting lots of retirements.

Since 2015 it was a battle of players coming in trying to offset the retirements, decline and departure of good players. For every Tom Mitchell, Sicily, Hardwick, Lewis that broke into the side we were losing 2-3 in Rioli, Lewis, Mitchell, Lake, Hale, Hodge, Frawley, McEvoy, Burgoyne, Hill, Suckling, Duryea, Burton, Gibson, Spangher, Smith, Ceglar, Roughead, Puopolo etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coach appears happy as long as he maintains his consistency in attitude. In other words has a consistent go and maintains his current attitude.
The interesting thing with scrimshaw isnt whether hes afl standard he clearly is but what is his best role and is that best enabled with us. The d1-2 defensive spots are our area to confirm and/or fill, d3 seems to be Sicily and long term McCabe but that potentially is Scrimshaws best spot. He could be d4 but then we only have 1 small and 1 running defender and to be honest I like weddle for d4 given his run and ability to play on different sized forwards. Assuming we get another KPD (is Serong 200cms yet?) and blanck stays with Sicily d3, I would have weddle impey Hardwick starting. We then have scrimshaw CJ Seamus who should play with Serong BMac and Bodie developing. I think the 2024 season and then resulting off season for list balancing is going to be fascinating.

The interesting thing with scrimshaw isnt whether hes afl standard he clearly is but what is his best role and is that best enabled with us. The d1-2 defensive spots are our area to confirm and/or fill, d3 seems to be Sicily and long term McCabe but that potentially is Scrimshaws best spot. He could be d4 but then we only have 1 small and 1 running defender and to be honest I like weddle for d4 given his run and ability to play on different sized forwards. Assuming we get another KPD (is Serong 200cms yet?) and blanck stays with Sicily d3, I would have weddle impey Hardwick starting. We then have scrimshaw CJ Seamus who should play with Serong BMac and Bodie developing. I think the 2024 season and then resulting off season for list balancing is going to be fascinating.
A few players need big years - Morrison, Frost, Stephen come to mind.

The coach appears happy as long as he maintains his consistency in attitude. In other words has a consistent go and maintains his current attitude.
I would have Scrimshaw as a top 10 player on our list of we are ranking players purely on natural talent (maybe even top 5). His intercept marking is really very good indeed and his kicking is top notch as well.

The biggest problem is that his best role is as an intercepting backman who plays on the mid sized forwards and we already have the best in the business in Sicily filling that role (of course Sicily does also play on key forwards as well when we need him to).

Still reckon Jack is best 22 though when he is fit and focused. We always seem to play better as a team when he is in form and patrolling the half back line.

I would have Scrimshaw as a top 10 player on our list of we are ranking players purely on natural talent (maybe even top 5). His intercept marking is really very good indeed and his kicking is top notch as well.

The biggest problem is that his best role is as an intercepting backman who plays on the mid sized forwards and we already have the best in the business in Sicily filling that role (of course Sicily does also play on key forwards as well when we need him to).

Still reckon Jack is best 22 though when he is fit and focused. We always seem to play better as a team when he is in form and patrolling the half back line.
Agree Scrim is in our best side when fit and focused.

Our defense is still taking shape so I think 2023 season was important for Scrim in becoming more versatile and valuable to the team.

Scrimshaw got some tough love from the coach last year. Some thought it was harsh, but it was preparing him for the reality that if he coasted he would get overtaken by the direction our list is going. Hopefully he is better for it this year

I would love Scrim to play forward. Can take a grab and is a beautiful kick.

He's currently vying for a spot against multiple others in the backline, whilst our mid-tall forward stocks are still lacking.

Could be our own Kyle Langford.

Interesting to read the Doggies would have taken Sanders over Watson, if both were available at their pick.

Not unsurprising. They really need to regenerate their midfield.

It's Bont or bust at the moment. Libba is still a gun but is on his last legs after multiple recos. Macrae looks a shadow of himself and Bevo has no idea how to use Baz (and he likely is bouncing in 2024).

Not unsurprising. They really need to regenerate their midfield.

It's Bont or bust at the moment. Libba is still a gun but is on his last legs after multiple recos. Macrae looks a shadow of himself and Bevo has no idea how to use Baz (and he likely is bouncing in 2024).
Libba had a pretty decent year for someone on his last legs..

I would love Scrim to play forward. Can take a grab and is a beautiful kick.

He's currently vying for a spot against multiple others in the backline, whilst our mid-tall forward stocks are still lacking.

Could be our own Kyle Langford.
Hime and Day showed a little something when they've been thrown forward, I wouldnt mind seeing Weddle down there for a bit. though with Watson, Chol and Ginnivan in the side and potentially Gunston there might not be a need now.

Libba had a pretty decent year for someone on his last legs..

Had a career best year but he's 31 (will be 32 tomorrow) and has already had multiple knees. He won't be around forever.

Treloar is 30 and Macrae 29.

Sanders should be starting to hit his peak as Libba slows down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back