Preview Hawks vs West Coast, Rd 18 2015 OUT: Hale IN: Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's also in contention for AA so talk of him being poor is so off the mark its not funny

Come on.. He's worth defending, but AA contention? That is on the other side, but an equal distance from the mark you speak of.

He has been a solid contributor in our back 6 who is daylight behind Gibbo in his non-AA years.

James Frawley has been a major disapointment , yes he has had his injury worries but right now he is miles off it. He should play a month at Box Hill to find form and fitness, the Big eagles forwards will make mincemeat out of him next week if he plays. David Hale has been great for the Hawks but right now he looks cooked, put Cegs in , at least he has the tank to keep making contests.

OUT: Frawley, Hale
IN : Litherland, Ceglar.

Ps Where has the Ben Stratton of 2012-2013-2014 Gone.

I think Cegler is a better matchup for Natinui. McEvoy is slower and shorter than Ceglar. I don't expect Ceglar to beat Natinui but he will do a better job than McEvoy. Hale stays in because he is the best forward of all the rucks.
I am not Sucklings biggest fan but we always seem to play better with him in. We missed his speed and breaking the lines out of the backline yesterday.
As for Frawley I would drop him if Spanger was available but as Spanger is still injured I'd keep Frawley in and try to educate him to our style of defence. When fit I think Spanger is a better option than Frawley.
I would consider bringing in Jed if he plays well for Box Hill again but I am not sure who we'd drop. Maybe Hartung.

So, my changes are

In: Ceglar, Suckling
Out McEvoy, Duryea.

I believe poster's suggesting we have a small chance of finishing top 2, are jumping the gun. Just as we unexpectedly lost to the Tigers, the Dockers and Eagles can easily drop games. IMHO we still have quite a strong chance of finishing second. Yes it will be harder because of last nights loss.....but I still think we'll do it. I'd be surprised if we lose another game.

As for Frawley....I'm a big fan. It's obvious he is still learning to play "our" way, and I sense that he sometimes plays a little too cautiously, trying not to make mistakes being a "newbie" and still wanting to gain his team-mates respect (by playing to his potential). I wouldn't play him at Box Hill, I'd prefer he continue learning in the seniors (despite the obvious risks). In time, he will get there, he will be our number 1 KPD, and I reckon every supporter will end up loving him.

His role has changed from what it used to be. He's hardly getting the ball in his different role and is focusing on his opponent not hitting the scoreboard. He's been on of the most consistent for Hawthorn this year. Wouldn't be surprised if he's polling well in the PCM.
Wouldn't hurt that when he does get theball he doesn't butcher it. Was not close to our worst last night though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langers injured but yeah thought we needed him. Weirdly enough I missed Sewell last night
A few of the lads at BHH put up their hands today. Anderson looked good, Whitecross was tough as nails, Simpkin was all class and Ceglar had a good influence without being outstanding.

Aside: I've only seen Shem Tatupu play a couple of games, but he does show promise. Since his first game coming up from the development squad his positioning around the ground has improved and he looks like he's fitting in and reading the play much better.

Would be good to get Anderson into the side. He is ferocious and brings excitement to the group that the older guys can feed off. It was pretty much our most experienced side out on the ground vs Richmond and many phoned in their performance.

Ceglar was the only player who looked like he might get a call up this week barring any injuries sustained.

Anderson was classy, but couldn't run out the quarters, WX battled and didn't show anything worthy of being selected and I think Simpkin may have had a line put through his name by the coaches. Been consistently good all year without AFL reward.

Out: Big Boy (for good Clinton Young style)
Hill

In: Langford
Ceglar
Langford still weeks away. Biggest battle is Nic Nat. Not sure Ceglar can cope. Best to stick fish Shale and Big boy. I thought big boy hill and hale were ok up until yesterday. Agree they both had shockers but so did about 18 others ....equally as bad. Match ups will be the key.

Honestly, the biggest 'in' we need next week is an increase in effort. With our loss to Richmond, this game becomes pivotal in the making of the Top 2 as West Coast and Fremantle still have to play each other. This is an 8 point game for us.

Ins: Ceglar
Outs: Hale/McEvoy (most likely Hale as we chose to substitute him out instead of McEvoy).

The others ins honestly depend on Box Hill performances and the directions the selectors wish to take. If Anderson players another B.O.G. game his pace and effort would surely be considered. If Litherland provides pace to the Box Hill backline he may also be considered. Throw O'Rourke into consideration, not to mention that Suckling will most likely be back from his minor injury.

Bruest doesn't appear to be 100% and though he played out the game it was obvious he wasn't at his best. Hilly should consider himself lucky that he played a vital role in our side because he honestly needs a bit of a wake-up call; Hartung may get another go in the 2's though I'd honestly be more inclined to give Hartung a full game and make Hilly a sub.

Personally:

Ins: Ceglar, Litherland, Anderson, Suckling
Outs: Hale, Stratton, Bruest, Hartung

I think that our backline looked really slow at moments (McIntosh goal, a few others). Stratts didn't have a good game, and while I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt we need to add extra pace somewhere. Bruest is an extremely prominent player for us, but if he's not 100% then playing Anderson as a half forward rotating into the midfield wouldn't be a bad option. I want Hill to get a wakeup call, but it'll probably be Hartung who gets a full game at Box Hill.
Hartung in as he is prepared to tackle more than Hill and it is obvious he wants it more.

I tell you what, given WCE's crap kicking for goal at the moment, the last thing I'd want is a repeat of that awful game in 2012 when they kicked 5.21 & we kicked 5.16.

I can't see Clarko making wholesale changes after one poor game.
Hopefully Frawley will be better for the run too.

It wouldn't surprise me if we went unchanged.

I'm a bit concerned about Birch.

Just hasn't looked the same this year

Hopefully he can find his best form in time for finals as he is a very important cog in the lineup

I can't see Clarko making wholesale changes after one poor game.
Hopefully Frawley will be better for the run too.

It wouldn't surprise me if we went unchanged.
He made them after a record breaking win.

But I don't agree he should. Would like to see a young player like Anderson or Sicily come in to add a spark of enthusiasm to the side.

Very happy watching the third quarter of WC v GC

A couple of super kicks across the half back line opened up the Eagles web nicely

I like playing the Eagles at the moment.

If we beat them - terrific

If not - then we have a few weeks to work out what to tweak to get through their zones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back