Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

This year we have 2 NGAs worth talking about and next year we have a good NGA who probably won't make it to us as he should go pre-40 if the rule still exists as it is this year

Iliro Smit, 198cm 89kg Eastern/VM - I saw this guy playing for VM in some trial games last year, later finding out he was a part of our NGA, has not played this year? Maybe injured, not sure what the story is with him?, googled him and found out he did an ACL and had knee surgery this year, I think it's very likely we rookie him imo.

Tew Jiath, 187cm 71kg, Gippsland - didn't play until late this year, has impressed a few people including Cal, I like how he plays, good disposal, makes good decisions, my only concern is his lack of contested footy, but I'm ok if we don't draft him, seems as if Cal is trying to hype him up so we don't get access to him.(the games that bombers journos play with us)

NGA 2024

Christian Moraes, 182cm 74kg, Eastern/VM - looked like a decent player at u16s, has had some good games against teams without the private school opponents, was decent but not great for VM a couple months ago, has been ok but not dominant since private school kids have returned, still playing for Eastern in the finals, but likely a 2nd round type mid that goes 20-40 next year at a guess.

Last edited:
Iliro Smit, 198cm 89kg Eastern/VM - I saw this guy playing for VM in some trial games last year, later finding out he was a part of our NGA, has not played this year? Maybe injured, not sure what the story is with him?, googled him and found out he did an ACL and had knee surgery this year, I think it's very likely we rookie him imo.
Will be very happy if we add him to the list this off-season

This year we have 2 NGAs worth talking about and next year we have a good NGA who probably won't make it to us as he should go pre-40 if the rule still exists as it is this year

Tew Jiath, 187cm 71kg, Gippsland - didn't play until late this year, has impressed a few people including Cal, I like how he plays, good disposal, makes good decisions, my only concern is his lack of contested footy, but I'm ok if we don't draft him, seems as if Cal is trying to hype him up so we don't get access to him.(the games that bombers journos play with us)

NGA 2024

Christian Moraes, 182cm 74kg, Eastern/VM - looked like a decent player at u16s, has had some good games against teams without the private school opponents, was decent but not great for VM a couple months ago, has been ok but not dominant since private school kids have returned, still playing for Eastern in the finals, but likely a 2nd round type mid that goes 20-40 next year at a guess.
Interesting you see Moraes as 20-40 given a few early reports seem to have him more like top 5-10. Maybe there is hope we get him, particularly if they change the rules on matching NGA bids.

Interesting you see Moraes as 20-40 given a few early reports seem to have him more like top 5-10. Maybe there is hope we get him, particularly if they change the rules on matching NGA bids.
I think after the finals series he had I would say he has increased his value a bit, more likely going earlier than I previously expected, so an updated prediction would be 10-25 after watching him play some big games late in the year against good opposition for Vic Metro u17s and Eastern Ranges in the finals series and grand final.

I predict we won't get a chance to get him through the academy system.

Hi All

Sorry for jumping in on your thread

But with Kobe Williams

Hes been training and been part of our NGA program for a couple of years.

Does anyone know why he hasn't been part of Hawks FS/NGA Program?

(had a quick search online and couldn't see him part of Hawks FS program for a while)

Hi All

But with Kobe Williams

(had a quick search online and couldn't see him part of Hawks FS program for a while)
We don’t really have a FS program, or at least we do nothing to advertise it in any way.

He’d be part of your NGA because he’s a Newport local, that’s all.

Hi All

But with Kobe Williams

The question is, how is he going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question is, how is he going?
He's developing nicely

Made the Western Jets as an underager and played as a primary inside mid over the last couple of Academy games

He's starting to get that nice blend of inside/outside game which i would predict he could jump up to 25-35 in the draft based off the last couple of years.

If the NGA rules change

I'll happy trade you Bailey Smith for Kobe Williams draft rights haha

The Jets have another 2024 draftable father-son in Kobe Williams, the son of Indigenous 2008 premiership Hawk forward and ex-Bomber Mark Williams. Kobe is available to Hawthorn and to the Bulldogs as a Next Generation Academy (NGA) recruit.

The Jets have another 2024 draftable father-son in Kobe Williams, the son of Indigenous 2008 premiership Hawk forward and ex-Bomber Mark Williams. Kobe is available to Hawthorn and to the Bulldogs as a Next Generation Academy (NGA) recruit.

NGA rules for Victorian, SA & WA teams were changed because of JUH.
I believe Kobe can nominate the Dogs but if he's selected before Pick 40 he will have to go to the club that drafted him.
Nominating Hawthorn as F/S means he's 100% guaranteed to be in our system.
From what I understand though he doesn't really have a relationship with the club so it will be an interesting decision.

So we could snag him as a F/S this year? I hope he has a huge season and impresses, but only just enough to be bid on one spot after our first rounder.

If he impresses (as a midfielder) then we could use our first on a non-midfielder too.

NGA rules for Victorian, SA & WA teams were changed because of JUH.
I believe Kobe can nominate the Dogs but if he's selected before Pick 40 he will have to go to the club that drafted him.
Nominating Hawthorn as F/S means he's 100% guaranteed to be in our system.
From what I understand though he doesn't really have a relationship with the club so it will be an interesting decision.
He's a Hawks fan. Only a few years back I saw him at Marvel with the Hawks face paint on, next to his dad.

So we could snag him as a F/S this year? I hope he has a huge season and impresses, but only just enough to be bid on one spot after our first rounder.

If he impresses (as a midfielder) then we could use our first on a non-midfielder too.
i think he is in the 2025 draft, trialled for VM but missed out on the u16s champs last year, looks like he has some ability and might be draft worthy, mentioned this last year in the Father Son Thread, didnt know he was a Western Bulldogs NGA member, happy to hear he is doing well at Western Jets so far as an underager.

KobeWilliams30/10/07185.0Williamstown Juniors

i think he is in the 2025 draft, trialled for VM but missed out on the u16s champs last year, looks like he has some ability and might be draft worthy, mentioned this last year in the Father Son Thread, didnt know he was a Western Bulldogs NGA member, happy to hear he is doing well at Western Jets so far as an underager.

KobeWilliams30/10/07185.0Williamstown Juniors
These kids are now younger than mine. I'm starting to get the impression I'm old!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back