Herald Sun’s best team of the AFL era since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

The defence on the second team would get a bath.

Glass on Lockett, Leppitsch on Carey and Archer on Franklin..... ouch.

The rest of the ground though, not much in it. Good work.

True, although I think most defences would get a bath. If I was picking a team to match up on the HUN super forward line I'd bring Truck in there instead of Archer and switch things around a bit. Would love to try Smart on Franklin too.

Where is the legendary "Carey Killer" - Peter Caven?

B - Chris Johnson Dustin Fletcher Justin Leppitch
HB - Corey Enright Paul Roos Ben Hart
C - Simon Black Greg Williams Ben Cousins
HF - Jason Akermanis Jonathan Brown Matthew Richardson
F - Darren Jarman Tony Modra Matthew Lloyd
R - Jim Stynes Mark Ricciuto Craig Bradley
I - Shaun Rehn James Bartel Paul Kelly Anthony Koutafides
Coach - Malcolm Blight (Don't know how his sprays would go, though)

This was tough. I wanted to include Pavlich, Crawford and possibly Mitchell. But I like Richardsons size and mobility to play on a flank or wing. Creates match up issues, especially for a guy who kicked 800 goals. I also liked having Koutafides in. He tore the competition apart in 2000 and can play almost anywhere. Gets the nod ahead of Pavlich at his best. Same reason Rehn is in ahead of Sandilands.

bloody hell there has been a lot of brilliant footy players... it's incredible...

the likes of Shaun Burgoyne and Cyril Rioli haven't even got a mention, it's amazing how much talent we've been lucky enough to see.

Dermot Brereton anyone? maybe not in the AFL window

I have no problem with the team, however, although I didn't agree with Roo missing out, it didn't upset me due to the many quality players going around and the difficulties of squeezing everyone in.

What I did have a huge problem with was the author made zero mention of Mark Ricciuto which means he either forgot about him, which proves his incompetence and that he should never have been tackling an article like that in the first place, or he didn't rate him, which, again, proves his incompetence and that he should never have been tackling an article like that in the first place. Either way it is a huge insult that Roo wasn't even mentioned as unlucky to miss out. According to this journalist, Ando (or whatever douche bag nick name he wants to go by), Boomer is a genuine superstar that is above and beyond Ricciuto, which is one of the most ridiculous concepts to get your head around if you ever saw Roo play, but apparently that's the sort of crap the Herald Sun is happy to print and report.

Thank you Rupert Murdoch for transforming Australian print media into tabloid style journalism. Reading the paper feels more like sorting through the junk mail than actually being impartially informed about important current events. smh.

Ricciuto benefited from being the only SA player Victorian based AA judges knew of. I love Roo but Voss, Buckley, Hird and Cousins are all his equal. Hard to squeeze them all into the side. Obviously I am biased but I will say Darren Jarman is one of the most talented footballers I have ever seen, only beaten by Ablett Snr and Hird IMO.

Unpopular view but you're right, Roo benefited from the we need to have a SA player in factor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bloody hell there has been a lot of brilliant footy players... it's incredible...

the likes of Shaun Burgoyne and Cyril Rioli haven't even got a mention, it's amazing how much talent we've been lucky enough to see.

Dermot Brereton anyone? maybe not in the AFL window

I cant believe Chris Groom hasnt either. I mean WTF

No roo makes me instantly discredit this list.

Plus the forward line shows they were to scared to make a call between the tall forwards from Victoria.

No roo makes me instantly discredit this list.

Plus the forward line shows they were to scared to make a call between the tall forwards from Victoria.

They were scared, or they all demand to be picked?

Cmon then, who do you drop.
Carey Ablett Lockett Dunstall or Franklin?

Ricciutto( adl) Martyn (nthmelb) Ayres (haw)

Mkenna(WC) Jackovitch (wc) Buckley. (bris/coll)

Matera(wc) A Jarman (adl) Ablett snr (haw/gel)

Daicos(coll) Carey (nth) T Watson (ess)

Breteton(haw/syd/coll) Modra(adl/fre) D Jarman.(haw/adl)

Sandilands(fre) Ablett jnr (gel.gc) Mcleod (adl)

i/c is the hard one. Need a small who can play tall, a running mid, a forward who can go back and?

But that side above would take some beating. It's balanced. It's defense could handle its forward line. Todays footballers would find it hard with the physicality this side offers. It's midfield could all rotate threw back pocket and forward pocket. A good mix of outside and inside, of leadership. It's a little bit biased towards players from SA as a result of a fine line between a number of players that could play that role.

Some of the players listed above, completely owned their positions in finals or state game. 300 games , media darlings or browmlow medals mean nothing next to this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back