TooFar

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Les_Canadiens Philadelphia_Eagles
Has there been another player in recent years that has gone from a Hero to villain is such a short space of time? Of course I'm referring to Kurt Tippett

As Adelaide supporter I have been following this saga closely. This guy was one of my favourite players, I loved the way he went about it, he always appeared to give 100%. He crashed packs and kicked some great goals. Sure his set shots were a let down 50% of the time, but overall he was a great player for Adelaide.

He had also made it very clear that he would like to go back home to the Gold Coast at some time. Most Adelaide fans were disappointed with this, but more or less accepted the fact that he missed his Mum & Dad. We also accepted that he was Adelaide highest paid player even though he did not really deserve to be.

However things have change dramatically, he has basically misled his coach, his team mates of six years, his club and his many fans. By not being honest and running away without informing the club what his real intentions are, he has become Adelaide’s villain numero uno. He could have made this situation a lot better if he was honest, but from the clubs perspective he has taken the cowards path.

This is sad for the Kurt, I'm sure he will come to regret his action in his post playing days. He played over 100 games for Adelaide, spent 6 years at the club, made what I would expect would be many friends, yet because of his lack of backbone, he will no longer be welcome at the club he spent so much time.

So this has me thinking, what other players in the AFL have gone from Hero to Zero so quickly?

The otherside of the coin.

Villian to hero, When Tony Lockett was traded to Sydney.

ablett_3_main-420x0.jpg

001554-gary-ablett.gif

Gavin Urquhart - from Rising Star nom getting raking long kick pacy halfback (better than Pendlebury ....) and being paid $300k a year to keep him away from the GC clutches to now delisted in shame and unlikely to ever be picked up again.

That was last year. He was contracted for one more year so we re-rookied him. We were going to have to pay him regardless.

He's gone now. Forever.
Wow - I should read the dates on these things.

Israel Falou (from tho other code's perspective)
Karmichael Hunt (from tho other code's perspective)
Ben Graham (at least if your name is Mark Thompson)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the heck happened to this guy?

Lack of commitment and "the right attitude" I think. Played some excellent footy early on, getting a Rising Star nom. Very lucky that happened just as GC were circling players and that he happened to be from Qld, so threw cash at him. Sat on his laurels after that.

It think Carey goes unmatched. Premiership hero. All time great. Affair with captain/mates wife. Can't think of a bloke who tarnished his reputation any quicker than that.

Ben Cousins managed to maintain hero status despite his fall.

It isn't as simple as hero to zero with Tippett:

Before he wanted to leave - one of the best key forwards in the league, most dangerous partnership in the game with Walker
After announcing he wanted to leave - scum of the earth, and Crows will be just as good without him next year anyway cos he isn't that good
While negotiating a trade - amazing forward/ruck, top 3 contested mark, worth 2 top 10 picks
After trade is finalised - overpaid, overrated, over-concussed spud, can't believe we got that much in a trade lololol

It think Carey goes unmatched. Premiership hero. All time great. Affair with captain/mates wife. Can't think of a bloke who tarnished his reputation any quicker than that.

Ben Cousins managed to maintain hero status despite his fall.
Remove those blue and yellow goggles. The effect of Benny and his mates is still being felt, and in the year or two after the news broke, it was massive.

He damaged the brand of the West Coast Eagles and of football. For the majority of the population, he's not worthy of any admiration nor commiseration. I'm a Fremantle fan, but I know how good a footballer he was. As disappointing as the Brownlow is these days, you still have to be good to win one – and he was very, very good. Natural skills, admirable traits, tough, and could probably run out another game straight after the siren had gone. He could've finished his career with 300 games, at least one flag, and at least one Brownlow. Legend status.

Now, the poor bloke seems helpless. When people think Ben Cousins, they think 'drug addict,' not 'great footballer.' He was arguably the biggest footy news story of the 2000s – his reputation is completely killed. It's a shame, but it's true. The only people who still consider him a hero are idiots who think drug addiction isn't as cancerous as it truly is, and who think Such Is Life was a quote from Benny Boy himself... yeah. Nobody sees him as admirable or a hero. They feel sorry for him, or think he's a dick.

Aaron Hamill, at least personally anyway. As an 8 year old, your hero leaving will do that, no matter what the circumstances!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back