Discussion Hickey and Longer

Remove this Banner Ad

The club is playing Tom Fwd because he can also play ruck...

It's not hard to understand that, is it.

This line of thinking started 4 weeks ago in the VFL.
In the 4 games fwd (1 VFL)
He has taken 3 marks inside fwd 50

Averaging
13 possessions, 4 marks and 1 goal

He's been handy

Spending his time 80-20

I actually have changed my tune on his value

Not because I rate him as a ruckman... He is too light and not physical enough

Not because I rate him as a fwd... Not mobile enough, not strong enough in body contests

But if you add his value of both together... And he plays well
He can be a valuable and important player.

He needs to get more physical

The club is playing Tom Fwd because he can also play ruck...

It's not hard to understand that, is it.
Actually I think he's playing forward because he's currently our best option as a tall forward... He replaced McCartin.

Considering we played 1 ruckman for the first 5 rounds it looks like richo is more than happy to play with only 1.

If white/lee/membrey/mccartin are considered better forward options they will force hickey out.

Actually I think he's playing forward because he's currently our best option as a tall forward... He replaced McCartin.

Considering we played 1 ruckman for the first 5 rounds it looks like richo is more than happy to play with only 1.

If white/lee/membrey/mccartin are considered better forward options they will force hickey out.

None of those players can really ruck to any effect.

None of those players can really ruck to any effect.
Neither can Bruce. When you are taking only a handful of hitouts, your forward game is a lot more important than your hitouts.
Who would you rather as your third tall - Bruce or McEvoy?

Actually it does because my source is impeccable.

But you can believe what you wish to believe.
Sure thing :)
They are picking s guy primarily so that he can spend 10-15 minutes relieving in the ruck... What he does as a forward for the rest of the game doesn't really matter.

It's weird that we went with one ruckman against Really strong ruck opponents, then decided we really needed an extra one for ayce cordy... :rainbow:

If hickeys kpi is hitouts at the moment he's failing badly. Fortunately he is actually mainly playing as a forward and doing well.

why didn't we do it from round 1 then?
Btw writing the word fact, does not make something a fact.
Because he wasn't fit enough.imo

Needed VFL match fitness after a limited pre-season. He only played one and a half matches leading in round 1 since round 17 last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to elaborate further thought hickey started to lead and present like a fwd and impacted the game in parts. improved on last week. will improve again next week IMO

as long as the improvement is there, why change it?
exactly, but I was suggesting to marto was that if he is spending 80% of the game as a forward, then his impact in the ruck wont be his main metric...

20 hitouts will mean little if he has no marks or goals, inversely - 5 hitouts is absolutely fine if he plays like he has been.

We should revisit this thread in 2 years time...
252535455_e96040de20.jpg

I just did. It was pretty depressing mate:(
In 2 yrs time we are still all talking s**t and giving Shenton a hard time:eek:
:p

Last edited:
252535455_e96040de20.jpg

I just did. It was pretty depressing mate:(
In 2 yrs time we are still all talking s**t and giving Shenton a hard time:eek:
:p

Now we know that machine doesn't work or you have switched teams to Ess because the only chance Shenton has of being on a senior list in two years time is if Ess players get a two year ban.

why didn't we do it from round 1 then?
Btw writing the word fact, does not make something a fact.
Now that's a fact ;)

His KPIs

Would be
Number of contests total
Contests won vs contests halved vs contests lost

Number of pressure acts

% of hit outs

His primary stat
Marks i50
His secondary stat
HO to adv

We didn't select Tom as a fwd early as it wasn't in our plans

It was an idea from 4 weeks ago
Mainly to keep Bruce fwd

His KPIs

Would be
Number of contests total
Contests won vs contests halved vs contests lost

Number of pressure acts

% of hit outs

His primary stat
Marks i50
His secondary stat
HO to adv
Can't argue with those mate, although I imagine they would be just a small selection from a huge range of measurements, including amount of ground covered, score involvements, and all the standard stats like tackles and touches...

I don't think there is a magical number that dictates whether he gets dropped or not... The biggest factor is whether or not there is someone better to replace him.

He would want to impact a little more as a fwd...

A few more clunks and set shots from a KF perspective

He should be taking most of the ruck work i50 to allow Billy to sit behind the footy.

He would want to impact a little more as a fwd...

A few more clunks and set shots from a KF perspective

He should be taking most of the ruck work i50 to allow Billy to sit behind the footy.

Lets cut him some slack, the structures were all thrown out this week.

If Hickey continues to average 15 disposals (10 contested), 4 marks (2 contested), 1 goal, 3 tackles, 4 1%ers and 6 hitouts per game as our 2nd/3rd forward and backup ruck he will not be dropped. But I suspect his stats are actually going to improve quite a bit as he gets used to playing what is a foreign role for him. Very talented player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back