Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

That makes me think one side found out something that they weren't expecting in the opening submission

It could be anything. Something that come out of cross-examination, something that was not in the original brief, anything.

Prepare?
Holy **** what have they been doing for the past two years then, snorting coke off hookers?! [see: Tania]

A trial is fluid. You try to prepare for anything that happens but, unless you are extremely lucky, you can't foresee everything that will come out. Stories will change. Other evidence might put a new slant on a particular document.

I understand the hearing may not run much longer. It is unlikely to go as long as has been allocated for it. In that case, a short adjournment is not surprising.

It does indicate a problem with the prosecution case. A well run prosecution contains no surprises and is an oral presentation of what was in the disclosed paperwork.

Perhaps holes have appeared in ASADAs case.

Not necessarily. Perhaps (and this is just speculation) evidence has finished and both parties are simply writing closing submissions. Most courts and tribunals will give parties a day or two to do that.

In short, you can't draw conclusions from any of this. The speculation above is just as valid as speculation that ASADA's case has collapsed. None of us are in the room, thus none of us can tell what is going on.

I know it goes against most peoples's nature, but the best thing we can do is just let it run its course.

Not necessarily. Perhaps (and this is just speculation) evidence has finished and both parties are simply writing closing submissions. Most courts and tribunals will give parties a day or two to do that.

In short, you can't draw conclusions from any of this. The speculation above is just as valid as speculation that ASADA's case has collapsed. None of us are in the room, thus none of us can tell what is going on.

I know it goes against most peoples's nature, but the best thing we can do is just let it run its course.
I really hope ASADA's case is actually rock solid [they built it so slowly to cover everything] and Essendon are just gobsmacked and need time to re-assess.

I know there's a zero percent chance of that, but I can dream.

Also Monfries and Ryder are let off for.... I dont care what reason just let them off.

Cheers for some knowledge of how the legal system may work with this case

I really hope ASADA have nothing and we don't lose two key players for any time at all.

Portz success >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> justice

Portz success IS justice!

Of course, this sort of thinking, taken to the flood, leads to the #standbyhird madness. But after reading REH's posts on drugs in sports, atheletics, and thinking about incentives and rewards, I'm not exactly an aggressive crusader in the war on drugs.

Two former Essendon players embroiled in the ASADA scandal are considering taking a deal that would see them miss two games of football.

3AW's Sam McClure said on Sports Today that the pair were "very close" to accepting an offer that was currently on the table.

"That deal would involve players missing two games of football," McClure said.

"That would have huge ramifications for the rest of the Essendon players."

The County Court hearing between ASADA and the Bombers resumes tomorrow.

Sauce: the Bay... :oops:o_O

Better sauce: http://www.3aw.com.au/news/two-form...onsidering-taking-a-deal-20150119-12tl08.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully it is Ryder and Monfries.

I would take that deal.

Yep be crazy not to.

Surely it involves a significant reduction in a penalty for co-operating, meaning the rest of the players would still be looking at bigger suspensions?

Yep be crazy not to.

Surely it involves a significant reduction in a penalty for co-operating, meaning the rest of the players would still be looking at bigger suspensions?

Bigger or nothing, depending on what happens.

Hopefully it is Ryder and Monfries.

I would take that deal.
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

The difference between Monfries and a replacement for two rounds is not huge. It'd be nice to have Ryder for two first up hard matches, but if this resolves it now take it. Especially if it sends Essendon down the creek. s**t even 2 actual games missed by the players remaining there would wreck their season before it starts (well deserved). They'd start round 3 at 0-2 and a percentage that was awful.

As mentioned on the Bay, Crameri and Prismal are the only two with their own lawyers - and Prismal is on Footscray's VFL side. I'd be putting money on the two taking the deal being those two, although I'm content with whatever gets Ryder and Monfries the lightest sentence.

As mentioned on the Bay, Crameri and Prismal are the only two with their own lawyers - and Prismal is on Footscray's VFL side. I'd be putting money on the two taking the deal being those two, although I'm content with whatever gets Ryder and Monfries the lightest sentence.

I am sure you're right. But we can hope.

Yeah, it's not likely that Ryder and Monfries are the ones willing to accept the deal unless the offer is on the table for everyone. It's a great deal that makes it go away for the players no longer at the club. I still think that ASADA will go after Hird once they've finished with the players.

I want this to be as painful, degrading and embarrassing as possible for EFC and Hird, but spare Ryder and Monfries please ASADA.
I'd like for Essendon to still be feeling the pain from any punishments in 10 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back