Mega Thread Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

They are adults who did it for the advantage, the consequences are absolutely minimal. The over reaction is ridiculous, they all cheated. To pin it on Hird the way people have is absurd. yes he was in charge, but it's not like he was injecting children. He was injecting people looking for the advantage and happy to ignore any red flags to win. That's why they all got banned!
One bloke won a Brownlow and had the best season he had ever played.Coincidence maybe? Whatever it takes was their motto

He got off very lightly I reckon.He played dumb and reckoned they did it all behind his back.When he raised his concerns to hierarchy he was basically tolsd to shut up.
Yes, he was told to shut up so he did. To me that makes him complicit.

This thread should be locked now. We know the verdicts.

Unlock when something new comes to light.
My point exactly, those who are looking to absolve the players are living in cloud cuckoo land.

My point exactly, those who are looking to absolve the players are living in cloud cuckoo land.
Saying Hird bears some guilt is not absolving the players. Those looking to absolve Hird because the players are ultimately responsible for their actions are living in cloud cuckoo land.

This thread should be locked now. We know the verdicts.

Unlock when something new comes to light.
Why? This thread is about a lot more than Essendon. Go back and read the OP.

I'm pretty sure an 18-20 year old lad who is extremely grateful for their chance and well aware of how quickly they can be replaced is not going to challenge the coaching panel who exist to tell them what to do - what to eat, how and what exercise they should be doing, when to rest, how and what they can do for recreation. No one especially younger men are going to challenge that. I don't challenge my doctor when he or she tell me to take medication and I am slightly older and have more life experiences than a young AFL player. So imo I blame all of the coaching staff, medical staff and the hierarchy of administration more so than the players.

I take what my doctor tells me as well. But I am ill when I am prescribed something by my doctor. A sportsman being injected, when it is well documented what has gone before bears no resemblance to the work of a medical doctor. And not all of these players were young and inexperienced, not that that is an excuse anyway.

I am so tired of Essendongate
Trouble is the effects of it won't be disappearing any time soon. I just hope Gus and Paddy come back from their suspensions better than ever, and play a big part in our resurgence in 2017.

Why? This thread is about a lot more than Essendon. Go back and read the OP.
True but all that's been going on is rehashing essendon junk. I keep coming here thinking I'll see a new drug scandal. I'm just over reading rehashed essendon stuff. But I guess it's the off season and nothing is really interesting atm.

True but all that's been going on is rehashing essendon junk. I keep coming here thinking I'll see a new drug scandal. I'm just over reading rehashed essendon stuff. But I guess it's the off season and nothing is really interesting atm.
Nobody is forcing you to read this thread ;)

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread ;)
No. But when there are updated posts and it comes back up to the top of the list what do I do???? Hmm i think i check if a new bit of news related to drug tacking in sport has come out. That's why I check it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How dare a thread remain on topic.

I think we are all antsy waiting to redeem ourselves after 2 less than stellar years.

From a club perspective I think it is great there is no news perhaps they will concentrate on football.

I think if we keep on the lines of the last 2 years then a few of us will need to be put on membership watch.

About Essendon saga though I blame the tea ladies those girls know a whole lot more than they are letting on.

I think we are all antsy waiting to redeem ourselves after 2 less than stellar years.

From a club perspective I think it is great there is no news perhaps they will concentrate on football.

I think if we keep on the lines of the last 2 years then a few of us will need to be put on membership watch.

About Essendon saga though I blame the tea ladies those girls know a whole lot more than they are letting on.

We've certainly had way less media this pre-season. Definitely a different feeling. Can't wait for family day.

You mean they were enhancing the performance of their tea?

We've certainly had way less media this pre-season. Definitely a different feeling. Can't wait for family day.
2013 and 14 dcan efinitely see why the club opened itself to the media and supporters so extensively after so many bad years and with AO move, but agree, now heads down bums up seems to be the appropriate move.

2013 and 14 dcan efinitely see why the club opened itself to the media and supporters so extensively after so many bad years and with AO move, but agree, now heads down bums up seems to be the appropriate move.
How does this relate to drugs in the AFL? :huh:

Football star ruined by West Coast Eagles ‘Volcanic’ drugs culture
The day after the 30-year-old pleaded guilty to charges of armed robbery and drug trafficking in the Victorian County Court, AFL legend Garry Lyon described the infamous West Coast Eagles drugs culture as “volatile and volcanic”.
The former Werribee best and fairest winner’s barrister Peter Kilduff claimed Sharp’s personal problems could all be traced back to the drug abuse issues that he first experienced after joining the Eagles officially as a 19-year-old through the 2007 rookie draft.
Sharp was approached by a senior Eagles player during his first pre-season and told “you’re either in or you’re out” in regards to the culture of drug use.
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/fo...e/news-story/2ba4dad9fcadb78d1a7ee52dbf1600d8

U.S. suit seeking $100 million from Lance Armstrong heads to trial

A federal judge on Monday cleared the way for a U.S. government lawsuit seeking nearly $US100 million ($A131 million) in damages from disgraced former professional cyclist Lance Armstrong to go to trial, according to court papers.

The U.S. Justice Department alleges that Armstrong defrauded the government by accepting millions of dollars in sponsorship money from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) as he led the team to a string of Tour de France victories while doping.

Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour titles and banned for life from bicycle racing in 2012 by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency after it accused him in a report of engineering one of the most sophisticated doping schemes in sports.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cycl...ong-heads-to-trial/ar-AAmTIBQ?ocid=spartanntp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back