Opinion How did you rate Hurn's first year as captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez we have some flog supporters. The bloke had a bad game.

Overall his kicking has been poor this year. Poor for Shannon Hurn who is widely considered one of the best kicks in the league. He has lacked distance and particularly his precision over distance which has been a feature of his play.

He has not been the attacking weapon we had all been predicting and hoping for this preseason year, in the main due to the injuries to our key backs. I think this has been a bit of a let down as I, at least, had been hoping for a captain who could influence the game a bit more than what Glassy could at FB.

On the positive side he has been a general for us down back and one of our most reliable 1-1 defenders. He has imposed himself physically in many games, laying plenty of big hits - one of my biggest criticisms of him in years past that he wasn't using his frame to bash and crash enough.

We made the damn GF. I'm more than happy to see how Shannon goes next year, I'm sure he will improve in the role and look to improve his performance.

7/10 for mine.

I'm going to go in and bat for Bunga.

I called it since 2008 that he should be Glassy's replacement.

That was extremely unpopular when the likes of Waters than Selwood became the outright favourite to succeed Glassy on here.

Great player, and shows enormous leadership.

Like Glassy before him, has been unfairly criticised in his first year in the role.

I think he's done a stellar job.

not sure how I feel about his leadership ,I want to think he will grow into the role but I`m not that inspired with the choice of Hurn .I`d prefer as options Emac ,Gov or Shuey but maybe they don`t want the responsibility of doing the Captains role and are quite happy to stand and nod at the back, where as Hurn has embraced the role and if given time may be a very good leader .

Im gonna upset a few..but the one crucial thing we lack from Bunga ( as well as Simmo) which rubs off onto the players is a little bit of mongrel..their all too nice..we lack that killer instict..The Govs 3rd qtr jesture to that boof head hodge says it all... no better example of this of the hawks mongrel is when they push you back into the turf.after every contest..its relentless & automatic..players use up.so.much energy to get up if the ground..only for a hawk player to put thier weight back on you .& push you back into the grass....that sums up their ruthlessness...which we lack..Take note Simmo ..nice guys finish second.

Im gonna upset a few..but the one crucial thing we lack from Bunga ( as well as Simmo) which rubs off onto the players is a little bit of mongrel..their all too nice..we lack that killer instict..The Govs 3rd qtr jesture to that boof head hodge says it all... no better example of this of the hawks mongrel is when they push you back into the turf.after every contest..its relentless & automatic..players use up.so.much energy to get up if the ground..only for a hawk player to put thier weight back on you .& push you back into the grass....that sums up their ruthlessness...which we lack..Take note Simmo ..nice guys finish second.
Totally agreed; and it needs regular practices in order to avoid silly 50m. After all, it is a competition and we all should be nice persons after the game.

Also don't forget that the Hawks know that the umps are reluctant to blow the whistle during gf's. They know how far they can go, and we were new to it all.

pnDPZ75.jpg

They showed a few seconds of him revving up the boys before a game on The Chosen Few. The doco they showed on 7 last week. Just that little snippet converted me from unsure about his leadership skills to feeling very comfortable with him as our captain.

must say he had a shocking game errant kicking,getting moved off the ball ,misreading the game and getting caught out of position continually and just stupid play at times ,killed a lot of the team`s momentum at times .One of our worst in the G/F .

A bit harsh as most of his games have been ok this year but just a observation from the G/F .

At the end of the day it shouldn't matter who the captain is. I want 22 captains out there. Its up to everyone to show leadership.

On reflection now I want Yeo to be the Captain , the responsibility just weighed too heavy on Hurn's shoulder and really affected his game .Plus his after game speech was too rushed and cringeworthy .

Yeo for Captain of this side please .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeo can't be serious.

Think back, its nearing half time in the GF and the eagles need a goal ,they need someone anyone to stand up .Up jumps Yeo and pulls down a pack mark and goes back with the responsibility of a team desperate for a goal .This is a big moment in the game Yeo has too kick from just inside the 50 m line 30 degree angle .The crowd is restless Yeo wanders in with the weight and responsibility of a whole state on his shoulders meanwhile the siren goes mid-stride .He pauses ever so slightly and continues in, the crowd noise and everything around him has gone silent ,he is focused on kicking truly .He kicks. the ball is on line and going close to the near-side post it appears to be trying to hit the post but it holds its line .

A great goal and hope for a team this is what a Captain does he inspires his team and earlier in the year Yeo was inspirational in some of our wins he took responsibility and carried this team to a few wins when the Fyfe comparisons surfaced .

Think back, its nearing half time in the GF and the eagles need a goal ,they need someone anyone to stand up .Up jumps Yeo and pulls down a pack mark and goes back with the responsibility of a team desperate for a goal .This is a big moment in the game Yeo has too kick from just inside the 50 m line 30 degree angle .The crowd is restless Yeo wanders in with the weight and responsibility of a whole state on his shoulders meanwhile the siren goes mid-stride .He pauses ever so slightly and continues in, the crowd noise and everything around him has gone silent ,he is focused on kicking truly .He kicks. the ball is on line and going close to the near-side post it appears to be trying to hit the post but it holds its line .

A great goal and hope for a team this is what a Captain does he inspires his team and earlier in the year Yeo was inspirational in some of our wins he took responsibility and carried this team to a few wins when the Fyfe comparisons surfaced .
Yeo> Fyfe

A fair few people do forget that Bunga did have to basically play as a KPD for the majority of the year. He barely had a chance to peel off and be attacking. Fair enough his kicking was a little bit off. But he is an absolute weapon for us going forward. If we can get Emac playing again, Hurn will soon regain his role as an attacking half back. Our club has shown that the 'good guys' like Glass and Hurn make great skippers. I'm sure Hurn is an exceptional leader and all his teammates would be 100% behind him.

For mine, a captain should be in the top ten place getters of BnF club awards, and he wasn't. From an outside perspective, more boof and bam needed from him too. Internally, he might be the goods, but need more from him onfield.

..but he only got 5 disposals in the whole game.

The goal was absolute clutch though, I couldn't believe it. When players like LeCras and Hurn had failed, he stepped up.

The boys didn't get around him after that goal as much as I thought they should have, to be honest.

Don't think he's captain material, but that was a big moment. Maybe when he is settled more in a position and he has more of a consistent influence on games he might make his way into the leadership group. He is only 21

I'm going to go in and bat for Bunga.

I called it since 2008 that he should be Glassy's replacement.

That was extremely unpopular when the likes of Waters than Selwood became the outright favourite to succeed Glassy on here.

Great player, and shows enormous leadership.

Like Glassy before him, has been unfairly criticised in his first year in the role.

I think he's done a stellar job.

Probably a factor in Selwood leaving ....

For mine, a captain should be in the top ten place getters of BnF club awards, and he wasn't. From an outside perspective, more boof and bam needed from him too. Internally, he might be the goods, but need more from him onfield.

This.

Any chance we'll change captains next season?

As for Hurn... his legacy as captain was probably defined by that miss. Hard to redeem now.

He never had the kicking skills Hurn does, but seem to remember Cuz having a set shot from a similar distance/angle in 06 GF... needless to say the result was different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back